Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2015, 03:11 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
As you know, if the SC had been comprised of different people, the ruling could have easily gone the other way. As it was, it was 5-4. Obviously not cut & dried.

p.s. That doesn't matter. The Constitution states a 5-4 ruling is legal. Hundreds of SCOTUS rulings are close. You don't get a do-over because you don't like who is on the Supreme Court.

You seem to have a problem with the Supreme Court. Do you have a problem with the Constitution as well? If so....rotsa ruck getting it changed to: "If the fundamentalists are unhappy....the government must appease them by doing things their way."

Old 09-28-2015, 03:15 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
p.s. That doesn't matter. The Constitution states a 5-4 ruling is legal. Hundreds of SCOTUS rulings are close. You don't get a do-over because you don't like who is on the Supreme Court.

You seem to have a problem with the Supreme Court. Do you have a problem with the Constitution as well? If so....rotsa ruck getting it changed to: "If the fundamentalists are unhappy....the government must appease them by doing things their way."
No, I don't have a problem with the constitution. I have a problem with the government redefining marriage.

Have you liked every ruling the SC made? I doubt it. Who does?

Old 09-28-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Not the same thing (and you know it). Interracial marriage was still man/woman. Gay marriage is a fundamental change.
You are denying the history of the fundamentalists in the United States to suit yourself. They used the SAME arguments you are using. They declared interracial marriage wrong because the first marriage, as planned by God, was same-race. They declared that a fundamental fact, the basis of marriage and something no government should change.

But it was changed. And this country is STRONGER because the fundamentalists didn't get their way.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You are denying the history of the fundamentalists in the United States to suit yourself. They used the SAME arguments you are using.
I don't care about the history of the fundamentalists in the United States. This is different.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:32 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Where have I said that (bolded)? You're assuming and/or changing the subject.

I'm not threatened by anyone making a commitment to another. Again, you are trying to be sneaky in the way you word your post.

What bothers me is that our government has changed the definition of marriage, the foundation of our society, from man/woman, which it has always been, to same sex.
Actually they didn't change it to two people of the same sex, they changed it to two consenting adults regardless of the sex of those two people.

But honestly, how does that "fundamentally change" anything for you?

Old 09-28-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
No, I don't have a problem with the constitution. I have a problem with the government redefining marriage.

You're going in circles, Jimmie. We know you're unhappy. You are unhappy gay Americans have the right to marry. You are unhappy the definition of marriage was changed. You are unhappy with the Supremes.

Such unhappiness from the fundamentalists. Such Debbie Downers because they can't suppress their fellow Americans.

Passing a Kleenex. Blow your nose and wash your face. You'll feel better.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:38 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
The definition was not changed. It was just made more inclusive and less exclusive.
I notice you keep refusing to answer as to how it has changed your or anybody else's marriage

Old 09-28-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Actually they didn't change it to two people of the same sex, they changed it to two consenting adults regardless of the sex of those two people.

But honestly, how does that "fundamentally change" anything for you?
I understand that. Still, the definition has changed dramatically.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:39 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:

There's a distinction between marriage in the purely secular sense and marriage in the "religious" sense. Are you ok with gay marriage if it's a purely secular institution?

Remember, the Supreme Court didn't declare gay marriage to be "sacred", just legal.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:40 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The definition was not changed. It was just made more inclusive and less exclusive.
I notice you keep refusing to answer as to how it has changed your or anybody else's marriage
Because it hasn't.

The decision just hurts their widdle feelings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality