Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 08:10 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,114,008 times

Advertisements

If a study concludes good things about religion, would you post it on here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 08:24 AM

20,022 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I can remember one instance where my father was bed ridden in a hospital for a week having major bypass surgery. In addition to the church visiting and praying for him, the youth gave up their free time and spent an entire day mowing his yard and raking leaves. That's the face of Christian charity.
I can remember one instance where my atheist stepson noticed that his elderly piano teacher's lawn was overgrown and he and his mother and I fetched up on the teacher's doorstep unasked for and mowed his lawn and pruned his shrubbery one Saturday. That's the face of atheist charity. So was the time we took the teacher into the city for a concert we knew he wanted to see but could not drive himself to.

Of course Christians do good works; but they don't have any sort of monopoly on it either.

Of course atheists are capable of selfishness; but they don't have any sort of monopoly on it either.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:30 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,378,034 times
Quote:
If you did honest research, you would dig and find out that these studies proclaiming atheists are more knowledgeable about Christianity than Christians is not really telling the whole truth here. Most of the questions where atheists rank higher had nothing to do with the Bible or the Christian faith. When it came to topics specifically on the Bible, evangelists beat atheists.
Love your little shift of the goal posts there as if you think no one would notice. The study showed that atheist IN GENERAL are more knowledgeable on it that Christians IN GENERAL. But at the end of your paltry little tirade here you move the goal posts to comparing atheists IN GENERAL.... with a very cherry picked subset of Christians know SPECIFICALLY for their knowledge of the Bible.

When you pull these little agenda driven propaganda stunts.... I genuinely wonder... do you do it thinking no one will notice???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
That might be one of those "Lets cross that bridge when we come to it" moments as the lack of any such studies does not allow us to test how people would respond to them. By all means however while people like Cupper post these studies that show the harm and detriment religion brings to the world.... if YOU find any studies offering beneficial or useful conclusions.... start your own threads on it too. I am all ears as they say, or eyes in this case.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:12 AM

10,090 posts, read 5,739,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I can remember one instance where my atheist stepson noticed that his elderly piano teacher's lawn was overgrown and he and his mother and I fetched up on the teacher's doorstep unasked for and mowed his lawn and pruned his shrubbery one Saturday. That's the face of atheist charity. So was the time we took the teacher into the city for a concert we knew he wanted to see but could not drive himself to.

Of course Christians do good works; but they don't have any sort of monopoly on it either.

Of course atheists are capable of selfishness; but they don't have any sort of monopoly on it either.
That's great, if only atheists more spent their time doing things like that instead of trying to tear down Christians online or wage war against religious freedom.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
It didn't take me long to find one with a quick google search and a non-Christian website at that:

Quote:

The kids whose parents regularly attended religious services—especially when both parents did so frequently—and talked with their kids about religion were rated by both parents and teachers as having better self-control, social skills and approaches to learning than kids with non-religious parents.

But when parents argued frequently about religion, the children were more likely to have problems. “Religion can hurt if faith is a source of conflict or tension in the family,†Bartkowski noted.

Why so good?

Bartkowski thinks religion can be good for kids for three reasons. First, religious networks provide social support to parents, he said, and this can improve their parenting skills. Children who are brought into such networks and hear parental messages reinforced by other adults may also “take more to heart the messages that they get in the home,†he said.
Study: Religion is Good for Kids

Old 11-17-2015, 09:17 AM

18,501 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Quote:
That's great, if only atheists more spent their time doing things like that instead of trying to tear down Christians online or wage war against religious freedom.
Your definition of "religious freedom" is "the right to impose your religion everyone else by law or force." Sorry, but that's not how it works.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Your definition of "religious freedom" is "the right to impose your religion everyone else by law or force." Sorry, but that's not how it works.
And your definition of religious freedom is the freedom to believe only in my mind or on private property. I have to check my faith at the door the moment I set off private property. That's not religious freedom. It's the freedom to proclaim to others that Christ is Lord regardless of what kind of property or building I physically find myself in at the moment.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:33 AM

18,501 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Quote:
And your definition of religious freedom is the freedom to believe only in my mind or on private property. I have to check my faith at the door the moment I set off private property. That's not religious freedom. It's the freedom to proclaim to others that Christ is Lord regardless of what kind of property or building I physically find myself in at the moment.
Oh, the horror. You are being persecuted.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:00 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
. I have to check my faith at the door the moment I set off private property.
Do you? My goodness. Maybe you should think about moving.... or something.

I never have to check my faith at the door. I usually wear a piece of jewelry that's a statement of my faith. I've never been told I have to stop reading my Bible in a public waiting room. And I tend to say things like, "Well, praise the Lord!" when the clerk at the register tells me something is on sale and I've never been smacked in the mouth or hauled off to the gulag for saying it. I see religious bumper stickers on cars, kids wearing Christian school uniforms and I've yet to see a nun be told she can't wear her habit and has to wear something that doesn't scream "Catholic!!".

Just what is it that you're doing that makes you have to check your faith at the door?

Old 11-17-2015, 10:17 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times
I can understand how folks who's faith dictates that they must inflict the tenets of their faith onto others who do not subscribe to their faith may feel that they have to "check their faith" when the leave home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality