Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2015, 09:41 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Just goes to show how desperate the atheist really is.
How would you feel about the Koran being placed there? What about the Bhagavad Gita? Avestan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 12:29 AM

11,030 posts, read 5,993,059 times
Quote:
Talk about who is imposing whose will on society. Lately all I hear in the new is Atheist imposing their will to have the Bible taken out of schools, prayer taken out of schools including taken out of school sports. Making courts take down signs. Making graveyards for soldiers take down all the crosses. And on and on it goes. It used to be in America that the majority ruled via voting, you know, the democratic society? Now the whiners and little people try to make the majority do what they want.
It's not about imposing on Christianity, it's about preventing Christians from imposing on us. We need freedom from religion! We also need religious freedom. You need to be free to follow your own faith.

I personally don't object to the Gideon Bible being in every hotel room although I can think of better ways of using the money. I would probably wonder about a Quran but I might read it out of curiosity - in fact I would. I thought the Bhagavad Gita was interesting when I read it a lifetime ago. I even considered its virtues.

In my younger years, hotels and motels in my country used to have bibles in their rooms. It didn't bother me then and it wouldn't bother me now. Some people might even like to have a read. I would like to get hold of an old bible written in old English like they once were. You know. "Doest, thee, thou, thine and all that? Pretty cool. Heard the one about and old time preacher who confronts an intruder in his home and says "Friend, I would do thee no harm for the world but thou doest stand where I am about to shoot!"? My uncles used to preach like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
Nah. We're not desparate. That activist group might be though.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:03 AM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Actually I am in favor of bibles being placed in hotel rooms and any other place people gather....

Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived......Isaac Asimov

Old 11-18-2015, 01:17 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,378,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
You hurt my feelings!
Then you simply require a thicker skin. Now if you are finished playing the hurt feelings card, you might try to reply to what was actually said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
If it helps you feel intellectually "superior" to believers, have at it.
I do not see anyone claiming it does. Being intellectually superior does not make one right. Being inferior does not make one wrong. There is either evidence for a god or there is not, and it appears there is not. Least of all from you.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:29 AM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
But it's perfectly find to have threads that overwhelmly denigrate Christians huh? The double standard here is nauseating.
I do not denigrate Christians, as most of my family are Christians. What I do is criticize the outlandish beliefs of fundamentalists such as yourself....I do not consider you a Christian.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:30 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
I don't understand what dominionism is. It sounds like a buzzword tho.
It isn't. It is an English word, relevant not just to this thread, but also the entire forum. If you don't care to bring yourself at least up to a minimal level of awareness of the matters of which you're trying to speak, don't expect anyone to grant your nonsense even a modicum of credibility.

Quote:
Also incorrect. We are a democratic republic.
So you're basically all about games-playing. You have no substantive comment to make.

Eusebius said we were a democracy. Eusebius was wrong. We're a republic.

Now let's see whether you're smart enough to post the response you did: Explain how what I wrote was wrong, by explaining specifically what the difference is between a republic and a democratic republic.

It's a trick question. You cannot answer it because they're not different. One is a subset of the other. You chimed in with a vacuous claim of "Also incorrect" clearly without any idea of the meaning of the words critical for your understand of this issue (like Dominionism, democracy and republic). Either that or you don't have a firm grasp on the basics of logic of subsets and supersets.

Quote:
Stuff it.
Clearly, for you, it's all about spewing inane disrespect, rather than cogent consideration and response to what you're replying to. Your nonsense warrants no more consideration.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:37 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,718,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
You mean the belief that the Holy Bible is a work of fiction, there is no God, no life after death, no hope, you are just a pinball bouncing around and hoping to the fake spagehtti gods that the random deck of cards doesn't give you a lousy hand like Charlie Sheen when he found out he had HIV. Your loved ones could suddenly just not exist anymore and become worm food.

Yes, please tell me that believing in that kind of reality would prevent someone from committing suicide.
Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't. Regardless, it isn't the job of the government to get involved in deciding which belief is better and promoting it.

And hey, by your argument if even one life might be saved by the Flying Spaghetti Monster, the government needs to get involved in marketing for it so I'm not sure what you're complaining about.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:43 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,718,173 times
Quote:
OK, which one of you guys is pretending to be THE atheist? Whoever you are, cut it out. All of this stuff THE atheist is supposedly doing is giving the rest of us a bad name.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:45 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
How would you feel about the Koran being placed there? What about the Bhagavad Gita? Avestan?
They never answer this question. It has been posed by you, me, and others on a variety of threads and I have never seen a theist attempt to answer it.

Why don't theists even want to acknowledge the uneven treatment of religion in this country?

Old 11-18-2015, 06:17 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
OK, which one of you guys is pretending to be THE atheist?
Is that like someone pretending to be THE gay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Why don't theists even want to acknowledge the uneven treatment of religion in this country?
Doing so would make them feel bad about how much unjust privilege they have, and how their exploitation of that unjust privilege has furnished for them better treatment within society and perhaps even superior opportunities than if they were a member of a religious minority or an atheist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality