Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2015, 02:36 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Where better to get an UNBIASED opinion from than from the general public who are, after all, the victims of this religious onslaught.

I get it from my dear sister-in-law and I can tell you that I flipping hate it!
And you expect that to be a better answer than Jesus gave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 02:46 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,102,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
I just don't understand why we cannot tell people about how good God is and how he can help people who have a relationship with him without people saying we are cramming our beliefs down their throat.
Probably because most people aren't interested in your point of view. I know I'm not.

If I was interested in "finding god", I would be quite capable of doing so myself. I certainly do not need someone to bring him to my front door and bothering me at home unannounced.

Seriously... Would you want me to start preaching to you about why you should be Agnostic?

Old 12-30-2015, 04:29 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,762,126 times
Quote:
I just don't understand why we cannot tell people about how good God is and how he can help people who have a relationship with him without people saying we are cramming our beliefs down their throat. Christians just want to help. I think some go overboard but if a person has a rough time in their life I try to tell them to pray and trust God. Nowadays, you can't even go public with your beliefs yet it is ok for people to say that they don't believe in God. This is why I am scared to try to convince people to come to God. Folks get so upset.
Here is why atheists like me don't believe or worship your sick God....get it....good.
Attached Thumbnails
Why aren't Christians allowed to tell people about the greatness of God without being persecuted?-995b38bbce007f92aa89f879fdd2def8.jpg  

Old 12-30-2015, 04:37 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,762,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
In this country christianity, other than fundamentalism, is mostly admired. But the need of so-called christians to feel persecuted is legion.

Why the Christian right’s persecution fantasies are so dangerous - Salon.com

The false claims of persecution and the attempt to make so many things ABOUT persecution of christians is not only a lie, it makes those telling them into the liars they claim they are not.

Read the whole article. It tells of a couple of prime examples of how "persecution" of christians is brought up--even when the christians have broken the rules in their attempt to proselytize or garner sympathy from others. It is frankly a dirt-bag way of projecting Jesus onto the world.

If one wants to project Jesus, then live frugally, eat sparingly, give generously, and keep one's mouth shut until asked why they are doing so by someone who is genuinely curious. Then talk about Jesus. There will be a willing audience in many cases. If not, go back to keeping that mouth shut. One's mouth should be open to taking in something nourishing, not to spew forth judgment on the world for being less than accommodating to "poor, persecuted christians."
I laugh at Christians like Mike Huckabee and the idiots at Fox News and Christian radio stations when they say they are being persecuted. So many reasons to laugh at Christians....I guess that's what happens when you believe in talking snakes, talking donkeys and a man living in a fish for 3 days. Christianity should be mocked and ridiculed every day. If the Christians don't like it, then put your big boy pants on and deal with it. Islam is just as stupid a religion with it's idiotic Quran. Some Muslim told me I needed to read it in Arabic as if that was going to change all the sick verses in it about Jihad and killing infidels. I laughed inside. Religious people are funny.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:53 AM

1,248 posts, read 824,578 times
Actually I can sympathize with the OP somewhat. When I was a Christian, I always felt uncomfortable when sharing the gospel with others. It's not so much that I feared rejection, it's just that it felt patronizing and awkward to say things like "you need Christ in your life", or "you should believe in Jesus and give your life to him". At the same time I felt like I MUST do it, and the uncomfortable feeling came merely from my "sinful nature" and would in time disappear (it never did). Ironically, now that I am not a Christian, I feel not the slightest problem talking about religion and spirituality - my own or other.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
Actually I can sympathize with the OP somewhat. When I was a Christian, I always felt uncomfortable when sharing the gospel with others. It's not so much that I feared rejection, it's just that it felt patronizing and awkward to say things like "you need Christ in your life", or "you should believe in Jesus and give your life to him". At the same time I felt like I MUST do it, and the uncomfortable feeling came merely from my "sinful nature" and would in time disappear (it never did). Ironically, now that I am not a Christian, I feel not the slightest problem talking about religion and spirituality - my own or other.
Not every Christian is an evangelist. The scriptures even say that. Most Christians are supposed to be "support" of different kinds to the overall evangelistic mission.

This is very similar to the military, where most people in uniform are not trigger-pullers, but are support.

Now, just as everyone in the military does wear a uniform, every Christian should be a witness of what Christ has done for him or her--every Christian should have a "user review"--but "witness" is not the same thing as evangelism. Evangelism is telling people what Jesus has done for them; witness is telling people what Jesus has done for you.

The model we see in scripture for evangelism is that the evangelist is called to that role by the Holy Spirit, thoroughly trained in the gospel by the church, commissioned for a specific evangelistic mission by the church, and is accountable to the church for his actions and for his results when he returns from his mission.

When churches push every member to be off-the-cuff evangelists, they're in error and in opposition to scripture.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:35 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
I wonder how the OP would like it if those of said faith or no faith came knocking on their door telling them about said faith? OR posted tracts & left them in public bathrooms. It gets old fast & people don't like being told what to believe & who to worship. Nor they like being told that their faith or lack is wrong.
It's a slap in the face.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:49 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times
Quote:
I just don't understand why we cannot tell people about how good God is and how he can help people who have a relationship with him without people saying we are cramming our beliefs down their throat. Christians just want to help. I think some go overboard but if a person has a rough time in their life I try to tell them to pray and trust God. Nowadays, you can't even go public with your beliefs yet it is ok for people to say that they don't believe in God. This is why I am scared to try to convince people to come to God. Folks get so upset.
How would you feel if people kept trying to convince you that Santa Claus is real?

Old 12-30-2015, 08:37 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,559,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Not every Christian is an evangelist. The scriptures even say that. Most Christians are supposed to be "support" of different kinds to the overall evangelistic mission.

This is very similar to the military, where most people in uniform are not trigger-pullers, but are support.

Now, just as everyone in the military does wear a uniform, every Christian should be a witness of what Christ has done for him or her--every Christian should have a "user review"--but "witness" is not the same thing as evangelism. Evangelism is telling people what Jesus has done for them; witness is telling people what Jesus has done for you.

The model we see in scripture for evangelism is that the evangelist is called to that role by the Holy Spirit, thoroughly trained in the gospel by the church, commissioned for a specific evangelistic mission by the church, and is accountable to the church for his actions and for his results when he returns from his mission.

When churches push every member to be off-the-cuff evangelists, they're in error and in opposition to scripture.

I don't suppose that it has occurred to you that most don't care what you think this Christ has done to you or for you, according to what you say. It is either a personal thing or a nonexistent thing to most and people just don't care what you say.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
I don't suppose that it has occurred to you that most don't care what you think this Christ has done to you or for you, according to what you say. It is either a personal thing or a nonexistent thing to most and people just don't care what you say.
True, most will not care...and Jesus tells us that.

But a few will--I've met some of them (Jane Fonda is one of note)--and it's only those few we're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality