Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2015, 12:43 PM

1,333 posts, read 883,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
If people want to know about your god, they'll ask. It's rude and inappropriate for you to tell them if they haven't specifically asked you to.
I don't think this is true. If you never told anybody anything they didn't ask for, no one would get anywhere. But, I think there's an important distinction to draw between providing information to someone so they can make their own informed choice and attempting to scare someone into believing you or making promises such as "God will take away your pain."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 01:53 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,637,077 times
Which God?

/thread

Old 12-28-2015, 04:23 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
I don't think this is true. If you never told anybody anything they didn't ask for, no one would get anywhere. But, I think there's an important distinction to draw between providing information to someone so they can make their own informed choice and attempting to scare someone into believing you or making promises such as "God will take away your pain."
Just my opinion here but I believe the best way for a person to tell about their life is to live a life others will want to copy and will ask about your beliefs

Old 12-28-2015, 04:58 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatUsernameIsTaken View Post
The world hates God. I don't remember the chapter or number line of this, but, Jesus did say the world would hate us for it, and that the world hated him first.
In this country christianity, other than fundamentalism, is mostly admired. But the need of so-called christians to feel persecuted is legion.

Quote:
Christian conservatives feel aggrieved and they want to be heard. The problem is that their specific grievance—that everyone else hurts their feelings by not admitting we’re inferior—kind of sounds, well, hard to sympathize with. They need something snappier, a reason to claim that they are being oppressed by “anti-Christian bigotryâ€. The only problem with that is that in a majority Christian nation, most people are actually pretty accepting and even admiring of Christianity. Even if they disagree with right wing Christianity, they don’t do so because it’s Christian but because it’s conservative. Being a Christian is a privileged position in American society; that makes it really hard to claim you’re being oppressed.
Why the Christian right’s persecution fantasies are so dangerous - Salon.com

The false claims of persecution and the attempt to make so many things ABOUT persecution of christians is not only a lie, it makes those telling them into the liars they claim they are not.

Read the whole article. It tells of a couple of prime examples of how "persecution" of christians is brought up--even when the christians have broken the rules in their attempt to proselytize or garner sympathy from others. It is frankly a dirt-bag way of projecting Jesus onto the world.

If one wants to project Jesus, then live frugally, eat sparingly, give generously, and keep one's mouth shut until asked why they are doing so by someone who is genuinely curious. Then talk about Jesus. There will be a willing audience in many cases. If not, go back to keeping that mouth shut. One's mouth should be open to taking in something nourishing, not to spew forth judgment on the world for being less than accommodating to "poor, persecuted christians."

Old 12-28-2015, 11:45 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
I just don't understand why we cannot tell people about how good God is and how he can help people who have a relationship with him without people saying we are cramming our beliefs down their throat. Christians just want to help. I think some go overboard but if a person has a rough time in their life I try to tell them to pray and trust God. Nowadays, you can't even go public with your beliefs yet it is ok for people to say that they don't believe in God. This is why I am scared to try to convince people to come to God. Folks get so upset.
It's a free country, you can pursue those conversations if you wish. No one is stopping you.

But if you walk up to a stranger and start telling them that their religion is all wrong and yours is all right - you'd better be prepared for people to be as rude to you as you are being to them.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:17 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Just my opinion here but I believe the best way for a person to tell about their life is to live a life others will want to copy and will ask about your beliefs
Doesn't work. I try to live my life being as decent and helpful as possible and no -one after thanking me for this or that ever asked me about my religious beliefs.

You'll probably only find that in USA because they want to tell you about their religious beliefs. No the way to do this is be public and vocal.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:28 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
In this country christianity, other than fundamentalism, is mostly admired. But the need of so-called christians to feel persecuted is legion.

Why the Christian right’s persecution fantasies are so dangerous - Salon.com

The false claims of persecution and the attempt to make so many things ABOUT persecution of christians is not only a lie, it makes those telling them into the liars they claim they are not.

Read the whole article. It tells of a couple of prime examples of how "persecution" of christians is brought up--even when the christians have broken the rules in their attempt to proselytize or garner sympathy from others. It is frankly a dirt-bag way of projecting Jesus onto the world.

If one wants to project Jesus, then live frugally, eat sparingly, give generously, and keep one's mouth shut until asked why they are doing so by someone who is genuinely curious. Then talk about Jesus. There will be a willing audience in many cases. If not, go back to keeping that mouth shut. One's mouth should be open to taking in something nourishing, not to spew forth judgment on the world for being less than accommodating to "poor, persecuted christians."
If the religious behaved like that, there wouldn't be the need for us atheists to behave as we do.

It's like that here. Sure, we get the occasional doorstep evangelist or street preacher or amplified hymn -singer with the collection -tin. But mostly, religion is invisible. But again there is a crying need to fight religion where it is dangerous - Christians trying to drag religion into politics, education and law. It's still a serious problem. There are regular attempt to get Christianity dragged into council meetings, evolution -theory banned in the class. And always, always, the lip -service to Christianity by politicians drawing on the reputation it has for making people good.

We still need people to realize that it is a huge con -trick and they need it like a god -shaped hole in the head.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:26 AM

67 posts, read 46,281 times
Quote:
I just don't understand why we cannot tell people about how good God is and how he can help people who have a relationship with him without people saying we are cramming our beliefs down their throat. Christians just want to help. I think some go overboard but if a person has a rough time in their life I try to tell them to pray and trust God. Nowadays, you can't even go public with your beliefs yet it is ok for people to say that they don't believe in God. This is why I am scared to try to convince people to come to God. Folks get so upset.

It is a mere belief NOT a proven fact!

Old 12-29-2015, 06:27 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Jesus already answered that question in the Upper Room. Why are you asking it on a generic internet forum.

Do you expect to get a better answer here than the one Jesus gave?

Old 12-30-2015, 12:03 AM

11,021 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Jesus already answered that question in the Upper Room. Why are you asking it on a generic internet forum.

Do you expect to get a better answer here than the one Jesus gave?
Where better to get an UNBIASED opinion from than from the general public who are, after all, the victims of this religious onslaught.

I get it from my dear sister-in-law and I can tell you that I flipping hate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality