U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-27-2015, 03:24 AM
 
Location: Hamburg, Deutschland
1,227 posts, read 559,051 times
Reputation: 1730

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Exactly. When these people are being refused jobs and shunned in their neighborhoods and having icons burned on their lawns and "get out, we don't want you around here" rocks thrown through their living room windows and their cars being set on fire...
Then it wil be only well-deserved payback for everything they and their spiritual brethren have been doing to other people for about the last two millenia wherever they could get just a little bit of power. No sympathy from me whatsoever.

As for evangelists, I would actually love some of them to approach and try to convert me again. I have several different scenarios in my mind for dealing with them and getting some fun in the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-27-2015, 03:30 AM
 
7,857 posts, read 6,662,302 times
Reputation: 1371
It is that there is a devil who rules in the heart of men , as God has blinded the people who ignore God and His plan .......... God is allusive to all who ignore Him ,.............. where the devil is also allusive to man , but will invade all people and claim them all in the unseen spirit , where the devil hates God and all Gods creation , and will undermine God and manipulate men to do the same ........ The greatness of God is the righteousness of loving all including people who ignore Him , and His abilities of bring justice and peace without any fighting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2015, 03:49 AM
bUU
 
Location: Georgia
11,699 posts, read 8,161,343 times
Reputation: 7958
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
It is that there is a devil who rules in the heart of men
The problem with your logic is that your belief in God is as likely the manifestation of the devil ruling your heart as anything else. That's the problem with such perspectives. All you can say in response is "I know I'm right", and all people who aren't afflicted by the corruption of that specific devil have to say to you in response is that they know you're wrong, and all you've accomplished is proved that you have blind faith. How does that help anything?

The conception of God must be internally-consistent. It cannot lead you into these dead ends where you end up proving the opposite of what you intended.

What you're saying is literally irrational. I know that you have a viscerally negative reaction to that, but it is the literal truth, based on what the word "irrational" actually means in English. The fact that there is a negative connotation to irrationality that you don't like doesn't negate the fact that the word and those connotations apply. You're living in an age of reason. We've come out of the dark ages and have gone through an age of enlightenment. We now know more about God and the nature of the universe than before, but your perspectives are still grievously constrained by your obsequiousness toward all that was known back when humanity knew less. It's like treating tuberculosis with milk or thoracic poultices. Yes, those were the best remedies known for over a thousand years, but we know better now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2015, 07:56 AM
 
34,448 posts, read 8,865,664 times
Reputation: 4784
Am I'm right in thinking the OP just tossed his polemic squib in a buggered off without another word? I had a look at his 'All posts' list and there isn't one here but the OP.

I get niggled with semi -informed religioes who say stupid things like 'Why are believers not entitled to tell people about God?' and then sod off without defending their statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2015, 08:17 AM
 
34,448 posts, read 8,865,664 times
Reputation: 4784
Am I'm right in thinking the OP just tossed his polemic squib in a buggered off without another word? I had a look at his 'All posts' list and there isn't one here but the OP.

I get niggled with semi -informed religioes who say stupid things like 'Why are believers not entitled to tell people about God?' and then sod off without defending their statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2015, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Booth Texas
13,266 posts, read 4,233,174 times
Reputation: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Am I'm right in thinking the OP just tossed his polemic squib in a buggered off without another word? I had a look at his 'All posts' list and there isn't one here but the OP.

I get niggled with semi -informed religioes who say stupid things like 'Why are believers not entitled to tell people about God?' and then sod off without defending their statement.
I will stand in for him bro, go ahead and let me have it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2015, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Northeastern US
14,070 posts, read 8,560,010 times
Reputation: 6003
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I get niggled with semi-informed religioes who say stupid things like 'Why are believers not entitled to tell people about God?' and then sod off without defending their statement.
Well it isn't just that he doesn't have a defense for his statement ... it is that he claims he wants to tell people about God and then doesn't.

By his own confession he's too much of a coward. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2015, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
13,842 posts, read 9,648,146 times
Reputation: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
I just don't understand why we cannot tell people about how good God is and how he can help people who have a relationship with him without people saying we are cramming our beliefs down their throat.
...because if you are going to tell people that something is true then you need to support it with verifiable evidence...and you can't.

Quote:
Christians just want to help.
Don't you get it? We don't want your help. We don't believe that your claims are true. We see your claims as primitive superstition. We want you to keep it to yourself.

Quote:
Nowadays, you can't even go public with your beliefs yet it is ok for people to say that they don't believe in God.
I don't think that anyone is stopping you 'going public' with your beliefs, just as long as you make it clear that they are your 'beliefs'. The problems start when you start claiming that your beliefs are true without any supporting evidence and insisting that everyone else believe it too...or else!


Quote:
This is why I am scared to try to convince people to come to God.
Keep your god to yourself.

Quote:
Folks get so upset.
Yes we do. Most enlightened minds do not wish to be told that they have to believe in the superstitious folklore of 2000 year old desert goatherds. I also find it ironic that you are complaining of 'persecution' considering all the persecution laid out by Christianity over the past two millennium.

Last edited by Rafius; 12-27-2015 at 01:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2015, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Western Washington
7,767 posts, read 7,541,890 times
Reputation: 13479
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Am I'm right in thinking the OP just tossed his polemic squib in a buggered off without another word? I had a look at his 'All posts' list and there isn't one here but the OP.

I get niggled with semi -informed religioes who say stupid things like 'Why are believers not entitled to tell people about God?' and then sod off without defending their statement.
Yes, it was a hit and run post.

Novice posters seem to do this occasionally. They get all riled up from watching Fox News and listening to their pastor, and think that they are equipped for an argument. They start one and the well prepared responses bury them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2015, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Southern California
25,341 posts, read 24,141,953 times
Reputation: 23727
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Yes, it was a hit and run post.

Novice posters seem to do this occasionally. They get all riled up from watching Fox News and listening to their pastor, and think that they are equipped for an argument. They start one and the well prepared responses bury them.
I wonder whether it's this, or whether it's a longtime poster under a different username being honest for a change rather than throwing together a lot of memes and platitudes and cliches in order to tap dance around what s/he and possible other Christians are REALLY thinking.

So, still no bravery, but...a different take/possibility, at least IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top