Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2016, 01:36 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,628,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
And their actions speak otherwise.

Ask a mormon if I can call myself a mormon while denying every base belief of it. What do you suppose the answer would be?

Or a Muslim? Or any other religion?
I think it would depend on which Mormon or which Muslim you ask.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:40 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
From what I have seen in my life, there are many things that make up people's identities.
People who attended Woodstock still identify as "Woodstock attendees."

People who were in lower Manhattan on 9/11 identify them selves as 9/11 survivors.

People that lived through Hurricane Katrina identify themselves as Katrina survivors.

People who have survived life-threatening diseases carry that identity with them all their lives. We even have a few of these here on City-Data.

A person who had to hide his sexual identity all his life until recently carries those scars as part of his identity.
These and many more characteristics make up who we are. To some people, those things are significant identifiers as to who they are. Some other people may not consider the same characteristics as important, but they are still a part of their identity. The Christians that post here probably carry their Christianity as a significant identifier as to who they are. For the Easter and Christmas Christians, that may be an insignificant part of their identity.

It certainly seems presumptive to make a claim that some characteristic is not important enough for be an identifier for people you don't even know.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:44 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Yea, I wonder why his church is doing so poorly?
It's the Peter Principle.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:46 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
I've known churches that taught the same stuff in varying degrees . No doubt so do you.

None of this makes them not Christians .

You are simply trying the No True Scotsman fallacy , but trying to justify it .

And people like Pat Robertson, John Haggee et al , have had lots to say about gays as well. For the last Baptist preacher I had, slamming the gays was his go to sermon when whatever he started out on didn't get the reaction he wanted . Response got a little cool, work around to bashing the gays and the amens! started flowing .

To pretend this is limited to a few radical " in name only " Christians is patently dishonest . It is a standard diatribe of the conservative Christian side about how gays and their liberal buddies are destroying America and causing God to turn his back on us in America .
Along those lines, the Mr. has a facebook devotional group that he started a little over a year ago. The point of the group is to be inspirational and uplifting, but nearly everyday he has to take the time out to delete offensive comments about LGBTQ. Doesn't matter what the topic is, someone will inevitably worm their way in with comments about the "gay agenda", followed by a round up-votes by a few others. He's too nice to send a nasty gram, but the day of the SCOTUS ruling, he ended up coming home from work and doing a mass deletion of members.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:49 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Yea, I wonder why his church is doing so poorly?
Actually, it has more to do with the area that we are in. We are in a part of the country that simply doesn't have a lot of people. There really is not another church for about 30 miles around.

Last edited by Vizio; 03-25-2016 at 01:58 PM..

Old 03-25-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
I've known churches that taught the same stuff in varying degrees . No doubt so do you.

None of this makes them not Christians .
Their misunderstanding regarding the sacrifice of Christ, and their hatred for others demonstrates to me they are not Christians.
Quote:
You are simply trying the No True Scotsman fallacy , but trying to justify it .
That's kind of a go-to argument for a lot of atheists. I realize that. But at some level, my argument is valid. As a Christian, specifically one educated in Seminary, I have as much or more reason to be able to make this determination as anyone here.
Quote:
And people like Pat Robertson, John Haggee et al , have had lots to say about gays as well. For the last Baptist preacher I had, slamming the gays was his go to sermon when whatever he started out on didn't get the reaction he wanted . Response got a little cool, work around to bashing the gays and the amens! started flowing .
I don't recognize Pat Robertson or John Haggee as being sound teachers of Christianity. I'm sorry. They don't represent me.

As for the last Baptist pastor you had? I have never heard him preach. I'm sorry if he drove you away from Christianity.
Quote:
To pretend this is limited to a few radical " in name only " Christians is patently dishonest . It is a standard diatribe of the conservative Christian side about how gays and their liberal buddies are destroying America and causing God to turn his back on us in America .
There are some Christians that condemn homosexuality, yes. But to carry on as the WBC inbreeds have for as many years as they have, demonstrates that they are not Christian.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:56 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,019 times
Quote:
Even the most basic reading of the Bible would tell you they aren't, though.

What tenets of Christianity or teachings of Jesus do you believe involve doing the stunts they do?
Again, that is irrelevant. They say they are, and believe they are, which makes your opinion irrelevant. They would say you aren't a real Christian, and that is also irrelevant.

Quote:
Good for you. But the fact remains that many homosexual people DO act that way, as evidenced in the parades.
Ok? So what? There are millions of straight people who are raging A-holes, but that doesn't mean we should all be stereotyped that way.

Quote:
And I'm sorry, but I don't believe it. You disagree with me? OK.
And you would be wrong. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 03-25-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Again, that is irrelevant. They say they are, and believe they are, which makes your opinion irrelevant. They would say you aren't a real Christian, and that is also irrelevant.
Why do you believe that works in Christianity when it doesn't in any other area of life?
Quote:

Ok? So what? There are millions of straight people who are raging A-holes, but that doesn't mean we should all be stereotyped that way.

And you would be wrong. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yes, I could be wrong. I'm giving my opinion.

Old 03-25-2016, 02:01 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Seems like there is plenty of biogtry against Christians coming from you.
No, I have no issues AT ALL with Christians. I have issues with fundies like yourself. There is a difference. Either way, I would not rally people to try and deny you rights, as you do with gay people. I would not stereotype you the way you do gay people. I would not compare you to incestual people, people who have sex with animals, or child molesters, as you do gay people.

So please, keep your complex away from me. The bigot in this post is you.

Quote:
No, it's sad that you would judge such a person without even having set foot in his church.
I don't need to. I see what he stands for everyday on this site. I am judging that. If his preaching is anything like his posts, I can see why his church is struggling so badly.

Quote:
Yes, we need to get back to good values like insulting, being intolerant and angry and condescending, right? BTW, stereotyping is a major sign of biogtry which you are doing right here.
It's not stereotyping if it true, Jeff. Your idea of "good values" is keeping gays from being married and keeping anyone not of your religion a notch below you. In other words, your values suck.

Old 03-25-2016, 02:04 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Hate is NOT a family value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality