Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2016, 02:10 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
LMAO! Well that's even worse. If any such person existed he was nothing more that an itinerant rebel rabbi that got his arse shot off for shouting his mouth off!!!

Those polls refer to JtC mate. Try to keep up will ya!

Yes ...that's just what he was. If he existed at all then he was a nothing. One of many outspoken critics of the religious establishment of that time.

Get the right one. That one is not any Jesus the man. You are thinking of Jesus the Christ.
The "man-god" (Christ) thing is debateable. Not all that view "Jesus of Nazareth" as "The Most Influential Person Ever" buy into the "God" thing (I don’t)...but He is the itinerant Jewish Rabbi/Philosopher to all, regardless of the questionable added hype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 02:49 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Listen to Mystic...he has knowledge. He will teach you.
...the dangers of adapting knowledge to Faith rather than faith to knowledge.

Yes of course reality is what gives rise to our Sentience. Through a natural process of evolution. No need for a god or a - "God" label. You could have been Taught that months ago, if you were willing to learn. Indeed, the only reason to post is just on the off -chance that someone might take your exhortation seriously.

As it is, much better to let Mystic and Tzaph beat each other over the head.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:05 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The "man-god" (Christ) thing is debateable. Not all that view "Jesus of Nazareth" as "The Most Influential Person Ever" buy into the "God" thing (I don’t)...
There was no Nazareth at the time of the alleged man-go.

Quote:
...but He is the itinerant Jewish Rabbi/Philosopher to all, regardless of the questionable added hype.
If such a person existed he was a non-entity. Just another peasant among many. He is unimportant. He lived and died unknown to the world.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:54 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
There was no Nazareth at the time of the alleged man-god.
I now think there was.

Quote:
If such a person existed he was a non-entity. Just another peasant among many. He is unimportant. He lived and died unknown to the world.
He certainly seems to be unknown to history, which surprises me. He certainly should have had a mention in Josephus, which is why one had to be fabricated and added later. That is the one reason I have to still keep a slight possibility that he was entirely invented, unlikely though it seems. It requires a huge job of invention and fakery, that I find it hard to believe there wasn't a historical basis of some kind.

Old 06-24-2016, 03:20 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Religious beliefs have confounded our understanding of God because we are conditioned as physical and carnal beings. But our spiritual essence is entirely conscious. The development and maturity of its character are what concerns God since our awareness essentially reproduces God's consciousness. In its ultimate state, consciousness is "non-material," energy in what we would characterize as an "EM-like" state of existence. As far as we know there is little that can transform such consciousness energy into something else so that seems rather eternal. At some point, a human consciousness had to achieve perfect resonance with the consciousness of God to connect the entire collective human consciousness to its source, so in that sense, the character of God had to be incarnated in a human.
Quote:
Why not post my entire sentence rather than pretend you are refuting what I said. Everything in our reality is some vibratory manifestation of whatever it is (I call it consciousness field) that comprises our reality. To be compatible, things must achieve some harmonic resonance with it. For a complete connection, perfect resonance is required and that is what Jesus achieved. Perfect resonance is IDENTICAL to the source, our imperfections simply need to be in harmonic resonance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, you believe there's a supernatural consciousness of some kind in the universe and call it God.
There is no such thing as supernatural!
Quote:
In your opinion, do humans have eternal life in any way that is non-metaphorical? If so, how is that possible?
Read the posts above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
humans did not need connecting to source, because
every human being is already connected directly to God
and has always been connected directly to God
always has been
always will be
individually and collectively
various human teachers through the ages may describe it, but they don't cause it.
big difference
Reread the resonance description or educate yourself about resonance, dissonance, and harmonics. Everything is vibratory and the compatibility rests on resonance and harmonics. Only perfect resonance results in identity.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:18 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
There was no Nazareth at the time of the alleged man-go.

I know it gets you all twisted up that Jesus still has top mojo, even after 2000 years.
But you're just gonna hafta do your best to cope Raf!
Hey, I have an idea for ya! Appeal to the "Prayer Thread" crew for some emotional support.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:29 PM

22,177 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Only perfect resonance results in identity.
i have no idea what the above sentence means, or how it relates to what we were discussing: your post that states a specific human was needed before any of humankind could connect to God. that is what i understood your post to say (see post #230).

my view is that all humans are already connected to God, and that human teachers are helpful in giving us tips, pointing the way, describing a method, or giving us a map of how to enhance and strengthen our relationship with God. But that our connection to God has never been reliant on any specific particular human teacher, ever, either in the past, or now, or in the future. Every age, every culture has its sages and masters.

it sounds like you have a model (vibration, harmonics) that you are enthusiastic about, and a human teacher from the past that inspires you. Other people can and do draw inspiration from other models, and are inspired by different teachers. my view is that we are drawn to the teacher or religion or path we feel the strongest heart connection to, and that we will most benefit from.

however every person has equal access to God, regardless of the teacher they choose. The creator that made us all, dwells within each and every human being, always has, always will.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 06-24-2016 at 07:51 PM..

Old 06-24-2016, 09:13 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post
I believe in god and I believe he answers prayers.... I think the reason atheists don't believe in god is because they have never personally experienced his goodness in their live like me, or they just don't have the need to believe in a Higher Power. Whatever floats your boat I guess. I think its sad when religious people condemn atheists as sinners, or when skeptics of a Higher Power are so condescending toward those of us who believe in God. There is no need to be hateful and nasty toward one another.
Some people have good lives, others do not. When a person's life is good ... or if a person's life goes from bad to good, it's super duper easy to think that a higher power is at work in one's life.

But to assume that much also assumes that a higher power is NOT at work in the lives of others whose lives are not so good ... and whose lives continue to not be so good. This includes the lives of Christians who pray their hearts out and still, nothing happens, nothing improves.

While everyone will deny it vehemently, there is a degree of elitism present in these claims -- to believe that the Creator of the Entire Universe found you worthy enough, loved you enough, to reach his divine hand into your life and give you the goodness, the wonder, the awesomeness of which you speak so highly -- and yet gives the person next to you absolutely nothing. Perhaps your neighbor's life falls into one disaster after another. Perhaps a fellow churchgoer teeters on the edge of suicide because God seems to be ignoring his pleas while your life skyrockets into the stratosphere with love and answered prayers.

Is that how your God operates? He just ... randomly picks people to help while leaving others to fend for themselves?

One startling historical example is how Hitler miraculously avoided 46 assassination attempts while 6 million of God's "Chosen" people were murdered in the camps despite the massive number of prayers coming out of those places. Did God protect Hitler to ensure the deaths of those 6 million Jews and 11 million other people?

You see, it's reasons like this that made me an atheist. This doesn't sound at all like answered prayers. It looks to me more like pure randomness.

In fact, there are hundreds of reasons why I became an atheist, especially when one looks at religion from an historical perspective rather than a spiritual one. That's when all kinds of things begin leaping out at you, forcing you to recognize many fundamental flaws.

But not everyone will see things the way I do.

You are, of course, free to continue seeing your life as the result of a God who somehow blessed you with his love and attention -- but to do so, you should also think of all the ramifications such a belief brings with it.

Take care.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:16 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
There is no such thing as supernatural!
You stated that you believe in a consciousness field, collective consciousness, or God consciousness.

These are supernatural claims because there isn't any way to obtain verifiable evidence for the existence of these things. The only consciousness that we can verify the existence of is the consciousness of individual life forms, including that of humans.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:33 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
While everyone will deny it vehemently, there is a degree of elitism present in these claims -- to believe that the Creator of the Entire Universe found you worthy enough, loved you enough, to reach his divine hand into your life and give you the goodness, the wonder, the awesomeness of which you speak so highly -- and yet gives the person next to you absolutely nothing.
If there is a God who created our universe, then it is very unlikely that he would even notice that we exist. The planet we call home and our entire solar system are invisible, random subatomic particles floating aimlessly through space to such a God. Even if our sun explodes tomorrow, it would be an absolute non-event to God. And that's if he even sees it happen.

If by some chance, God heard our prayers, he would just smile and go back to plucking quasars and smashing galaxies together or whatever else he likes to do in his spare time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality