Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2019, 07:56 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Are you under the impression somehow that this paragraph was an attempt to prove Christianity was true? Because it wasn't. All I was saying was that even granting for the sake of argument that the bible is unreliable, it doesn't follow that therefore Christianity in and of itself isn't true. If only the aforementioned few details are true, then that's Christianity. The rest of the modern-day bible could be outright false and therefore certainly unreliable, and it wouldn't mean Christianity was false.

So yeah. No evidence.
What foolishness. again you are fielding this feeble 'you can't disprove it' excuse - and it IS and excuse. If you can soundly debunk the Bible (and we can) including the tenets of Christianity, 'you can't disprove it' is as weak an witterring an excuse as I can imagine.

Quote:
Well, recently, one of them told me here that an atheist is someone who doesn't even believe there might be a god. That saying there might be a god is only something a theist or agnostic would do. But generally speaking, anti-theists want the rest of us to join them in opposing theism and if we should dare to defend it as a rational option for people we're not "real atheists". We might even be accused of being a Christian spy! There's more, but you get the idea.
It's easy to trot out 'one of them' who says just what you need to wave about as though it requires all us atheists (not you - because you understand nothing about it) to sign up to whatever you claim he said. You idiotic 'only a theists or agnostic would say "There might be a god", shows so little understanding of atheism that I wonder whether this isn;'t why you claim to be one. It's nady to foist whatever you like on atheism on the grounds that you heard it from One of Us.

Quote:
It doesn't matter that atheism in and of itself isn't comparable to theism/Christianity (although one could easily argue just how many of these features flow from theism in and of itself). I see similarities between anti-theism and religious extremism regardless.
One could say the same of any movement to correct social ills old son. But even if Atheism did have its' extremists (other than the fake ones in Christian videos designed to discredit atheism) that would not give you a solid reason to disagree with it, far from equating it with religion (so you won't need to worry about trying to claim atheism is a faith and getting another debunking to add to the many you you have suffered so far and continue to deny all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 08:06 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
If anyone thinks she/he has debunked Christianity using historically, heavily edited Bibles (i.e. KJV) they are a legend in their own mind. Ridiculing is not debunking.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:19 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
If anyone thinks she/he have debunked Christianity using historically, heavily edited Bibles (i.e. KJV) they are a legend in their own mind. Ridiculing is not debunking.
I take your point, but the idea is not to refute Christianity using the trustworthy text in the Book itself, but to show that it is so untrustworthy, there is no valid reason to believe anything in it.

But in fact, the text refuted the claims of the NT, whether one regards them as reliable or not. Take the Transfiguration - which John knows nothing about. the rejection at Nazareth which in Luke is an assassination attempt unknown to the others. The massacre of innocents, unknown to the others; sinking Simon, opening tombs, a descending angel and an appearance of Jesus unknown to any of the others - oh yes; and the tomb -guard. In fact Matthew even beats Luke as an inventor of ludicrous tales.

Even where they agree, David and the Shewbread cannot have been said by Jesus. That's without even looking at Luke, fiddling the resurrection to fit in with the Biography of Paul (Acts) that he was writing, or John who has not a single parable, but swathes of sermons - of which we find nothing in the gospels.

Isn't it compelling that this stuff was invented by the writers who did not know what the others were writing?

True, there is a common basis - I never denied that; even a common basic true story. But pretty much Everything "Christian" in the NT, can go in the bin.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I take your point, but the idea is not to refute Christianity using the trustworthy text in the Book itself, but to show that it is so untrustworthy, there is no valid reason to believe anything in it.

But in fact, the text refuted the claims of the NT, whether one regards them as reliable or not. Take the Transfiguration - which John knows nothing about. the rejection at Nazareth which in Luke is an assassination attempt unknown to the others. The massacre of innocents, unknown to the others; sinking Simon, opening tombs, a descending angel and an appearance of Jesus unknown to any of the others - oh yes; and the tomb -guard. In fact Matthew even beats Luke as an inventor of ludicrous tales.

Even where they agree, David and the Shewbread cannot have been said by Jesus. That's without even looking at Luke, fiddling the resurrection to fit in with the Biography of Paul (Acts) that he was writing, or John who has not a single parable, but swathes of sermons - of which we find nothing in the gospels.
Isn't it compelling that this stuff was invented by the writers who did not know what the others were writing?

True, there is a common basis - I never denied that; even a common basic true story. But pretty much Everything "Christian" in the NT, can go in the bin.
From my understanding, the N.T. exist because none or some of mankind could not follow the O.T. to a T.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:42 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
From my understanding, the N.T. exist because none or some of mankind could not follow the O.T. to a T.
I think it might be more... 'the N.T. exists because none or some of mankind did not want to follow the O.T. to a T.' It's the old 'I don't have to follow the laws any longer because Jesus scrapped them', despite the Jesus character himself telling them that he hadn't come to change the law and that not one iota of the laws will pass until heaven and Earth pass away and the bible telling them that the laws will never change and that they endure forever.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I think it might be more... 'the N.T. exists because none or some of mankind did not want to follow the O.T. to a T.' It's the old 'I don't have to follow the laws any longer because Jesus scrapped them', despite the Jesus character himself telling them that he hadn't come to change the law and that not one iota of the laws will pass until heaven and Earth pass away and the bible telling them that the laws will never change and that they endure forever.
Yes, it is odd, but it explains why we have so many sects.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:04 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Yes, it is odd, but it explains why we have so many sects.
Yes indeed.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:37 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Special pleading

Special pleading is a form of fallacious argument that involves an attempt to cite something as an exception to a generally accepted rule, principle, etc. without justifying the exception. The lack of criticism may be a simple oversight or an application of a double standard.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_pleading
Agreed. As in something used by the police, historians and courts of law, but apparently not the gospels.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:40 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
If anyone thinks she/he has debunked Christianity using historically, heavily edited Bibles (i.e. KJV) they are a legend in their own mind. Ridiculing is not debunking.
How about the Codex Siniaticus in it's original Greek? How about what the early Christians themselves wrote, and the various authorities keep quiet about? How about textual analysis on hte gospels to see if they are independent or not?

Old 02-18-2019, 01:43 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
The Torah is exclusively for us Jews, the Seven Noachide Laws are for us AND the Gentile...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality