Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2016, 10:36 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,046,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I'd say that Jewish sages know the Hebrew language better than anyone and they do not see any nonsense like that at all...

No, we and our refer to G-d speaking with His Angelic counsel...Even a six year old could see this...

No, sorry, Elohim is not always used for G-d throughout the Torah, it was also applied to Moishe and used to refer to pagan gods also...Most of the English translation of G-d is from the ineffable Name of G-d, in other words, the Tetragrammaton...
Yeh, we already pointed this out earlier with some evidence to back it up. This one's a dead end, Richard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 12:17 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,006,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Yes, his trolling is quite extreme.

As usual, it's just not fruitful to engage a Fundie. They are not here to engage in meaningful or informed debate - they are here to preach. If I wanted that, I'd go to some Fundie church. The additional issue is that they are so convinced that they have the only correct answer, even on issues that are ultimately unknowable. This is where their "Holy Spirit" gives them the authority to spout whatever nonsense they see fit.
Yeah, even as a former staunch fundamentalist, I was NEVER that arrogant and stonewalled, being facetious and running home with my ball each time what I had to say was not met with approval. Guess that is why I was eventually able to break away as hard as it seemed at the time.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:36 PM

4,765 posts, read 1,996,400 times
Quote:

Nobody every said they were.

When you can demonstrate that you understand how a COMMA works ("The comma is used in many contexts and languages, mainly for separating parts of a sentence such as clauses, and items in lists, particularly when there are three or more items listed."), maybe we can have a conversation that doesn't involve you misunderstanding a simple dictionary entry. As it is, it seems rather pointless.

Shoot away. You can attempt to critique dictionary entries AFTER you learn how to read them. (P.S. - the Bible calls teraphim "gods", or ʾĕlōhîm.)
Evidently your reading comprehension is not adequate. The Bible does not call teraphim elohim. It calls them whae they are, household gods.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I'm still out. This Omega is saying nothing. Just demanding evidence of what is evidenced in the saying. This is a sad zombie of our robust Eusie, and is best left to wander the boards alone.
Typical answer from secular fundamentalists who can only pontificate but can never provide any evidence for what thy say.

They disdain producing evidence because the never have any. What they accept they accept by faith alone.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Bear in mind, there is no mystery as to the origins of the Trinity, nor is there any secret for how this aberrant doctrine emerged. The doctrine of the Trinity was forged out of the crucible of the Catholic Church long after the Christian century. It is, therefore, no wonder that this pagan doctrine was unknown to authors of the New Testament (click here to see list). Church history reveals that it was not until three hundred years after the birth of Christianity that the doctrine of the Bianity (325 C.E.) and Trinity (381 C.E.) received formal approval in the Christian community. These well documented events occurred under circumstances rife with contention, political agitation, and radical dissension in the early Church.
When it was accepted is irrelevant. The theology is reinforced in the Bible. The Trinity is not a pagan doctrine.

Quote:
In essence, the Jewish people never believed in a Trinity, and the Church adopted it under enormous political pressure from the most pagan segments of the young Catholic Church. Understandably, missionaries undertake a formidable task when they seek to prove this fourth century doctrine from a radically monotheistic Torah which is timeless. Let’s examine your business associate’s claim.
The Jews rejected may things the Bible teaches. It is still irrelevant what the church or man did. The trinity is taught in the Bible.

Quote:
...There is an enormous difficulty with the interpretation that the name Elohim signifies a sort of plurality in the godhead;
Not true. "Im" is a plural ending in Hebrew.

Quote:
for if Elohim implies a plurality of persons, how can missionaries explain that the identical word Elohim in Tanach refers to Moses as well? Regarding Moses,
Where?

????

Old 08-15-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
I'd say that Jewish sages know the Hebrew language better than anyone and they do not see any nonsense like that at all...
The Jewish sages learn Hebrew like scholar do---It is called study.

Quote:
No, we and our refer to G-d speaking with His Angelic counsel...Even a six year old could see this..
The problem with that is that angels have no creative ability and we don't know for sure if the angels had been created at that time.

Quote:
No, sorry, Elohim is not always used for G-d throughout the Torah, <<
Irrelevant. When it is used, it is still a plural. Do you kinow owhy God useus 3 names?

Quote:
it was also applied to Moishe and used to refer to pagan gods also...
Where?

Quote:
Most of the English translation of G-d is from the ineffable Name of G-d, in other words, the Tetragrammaton...
All of the names of God are translated from the original language.

Last edited by mensaguy; 08-15-2016 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: Geesh! Please review your posts & fix quotes before posting.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Yes, his trolling is quite extreme.

As usual, it's just not fruitful to engage a Fundie. They are not here to engage in meaningful or informed debate - they are here to preach. If I wanted that, I'd go to some Fundie church. The additional issue is that they are so convinced that they have the only correct answer, even on issues that are ultimately unknowable. This is where their "Holy Spirit" gives them the authority to spout whatever nonsense they see fit.
That is a good excuse for not discussing the subject(s) with them. Show me where I have preached. It shows you do not understand what preaching is. What you do is more preaching than what we fundies do. Fundie secularist just don't see what they do is preaching.

What is unknowable to you is not unknowable to everyone. You just can't understand the Bible so you call it unknowable.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Yeah, even as a former staunch fundamentalist, I was NEVER that arrogant and stonewalled, being facetious and running home with my ball each time what I had to say was not met with approval. Guess that is why I was eventually able to break away as hard as it seemed at the time.
I guess it is arrogance to ask for the evidence you never produce. Also answering your questions is not stonewalling. That is just another of your excuses not to discuss things you do not understand. That is understandable.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:33 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
omega2xx=boring

Old 08-15-2016, 11:16 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
Sorry to dissappoint you, but I don't have a big house, I don't have a fancy car. In fact my car is 12 years old. My TV's and computers are not the latest version. I don't have a IPad, laptop or any luxury goods. My iphone is an old flip phone that is mostly good for only a telephone.
It doesn't matter Edgar. You have those 'possessions' and your Jesus man-god told you to sell them and give the money to the poor. He didn't say you could keep your possessions if they were old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
No opinions count for anything. When you offer some evidence they are wrong, get back to me.
So you can't refute what I said. I thought not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality