Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 09:38 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,007,462 times

Advertisements

How are we overlooking this major flop?

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...19&version=RSV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 09:45 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Don't worry. I engaged in debate with his larval form far more than I should have done, purely because he was doing us so much good, gnawing and crunching away at the fake true cross and genuine imitation Bethlehem crib. But now this Mayfly imago is flitting about the forum whining like a mosquito, I did right by pulling the plug. It is now paying us nothing to swat at this irritating insect.
Soon he will be talking to himself. I pulled the plug some time ago.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
How are we overlooking this major flop?

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...19&version=RSV
Wait, wait. You mean the Nile never dried up? Really? Ah, I bet it was some scribes error. They must have not understood what Olde Hebrew really meant, doncha think?

Old 08-22-2016, 04:36 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Wait, wait. You mean the Nile never dried up? Really? Ah, I bet it was some scribes error. They must have not understood what Olde Hebrew really meant, doncha think?
Well there are various ways around this.

Translation shopping,

Interpretation,

Unbelievers don't understand the Bible,

ignore the whole thing.

Quote:
Soon he will be talking to himself. I pulled the plug some time ago.
Good call. I have a short list of a few other others, if you like.

N.B Gldnrule, Jeff and Vizza are NOT on it, as the list is not of opponents or even asshats, but of time -wasters.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:11 AM

Quote:
.....Good call. I have a short list of a few other others, if you like.

N.B Gldnrule, Jeff and Vizza are NOT on it, as the list is not of opponents or even asshats, but of time -wasters.
Exactly. I have no problem with those that argue points even if their arguments are, well, wrong, but at least they are sincere.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:54 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
From the HEBREW scriptures:

Isaiah 19:

5 And water from the sea shall dry up, and the river shall dry up and become arid.

Rashi:

And water from the sea shall dry up: Heb. וְנִשְּׁתוּ, an expression like (Lam. 3:47): “The desolation (הַשְׁאֵת) and the breach.” Since the entire productivity of Egypt is due to the Nile, since no rain falls there, but the Nile rises and waters it through its man made canals, he, therefore, compares its retribution to the drying up of canals. [Some manuscripts read:] Rivers and canals.

And water from the sea shall dry up: And the sea shall not return the Nile to its source, but the Nile will descend into it and will not ascend to water Egypt.

and the river: This is the Nile.

Metaphor?...

- Yeshayahu - Chapter 19 - Tanakh Online - Torah - Bible

Old 08-23-2016, 04:36 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
From the HEBREW scriptures:

Isaiah 19:

5 And water from the sea shall dry up, and the river shall dry up and become arid.

Rashi:

And water from the sea shall dry up: Heb. וְנִשְּׁתוּ, an expression like (Lam. 3:47): “The desolation (הַשְׁאֵת) and the breach.” Since the entire productivity of Egypt is due to the Nile, since no rain falls there, but the Nile rises and waters it through its man made canals, he, therefore, compares its retribution to the drying up of canals. [Some manuscripts read:] Rivers and canals.

And water from the sea shall dry up: And the sea shall not return the Nile to its source, but the Nile will descend into it and will not ascend to water Egypt.

and the river: This is the Nile.

Metaphor?...

- Yeshayahu - Chapter 19 - Tanakh Online - Torah - Bible

Merge with "Myth- not true" thread?

Old 08-24-2016, 05:15 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,996,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Maybe if you had the ability to recognize evidence when it smacks you upside the head umpteen times, more people would be inclined to discuss matters with you.
You wouldn't recoginze real evidence if it bit you on your butt. That is because secular fundies never offer any and you have to accept their OPINIONS as evidence. How sad,

Quote:
But you are married to your ignorance and only death will do you part.
Ahh, a reminder of the playground in the third grad,

When secular fundies don't have the intellectual ability to discuss a subject, they resort to insults. Thank you, Your insults tell others more about you than they do about me, and those new in the forum need to know what you are really like. The rest of us already know.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:22 AM

Quote:
has proven true.
OPINIONS never prove anything except to secular fundies.

Quote:
My mistake was engaging him further.
It was a mistake. If you had quit, it would not have been shown that you accept OPINIONS by faith alone.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Don't worry. I engaged in debate with his larval form far more than I should have done, purely because he was doing us so much good, gnawing and crunching away at the fake true cross and genuine imitation Bethlehem crib. But now this Mayfly imago is flitting about the forum whining like a mosquito, I did right by pulling the plug. It is now paying us nothing to swat at this irritating insect.
Amusing. When you secular fundies can't refute what we say and are challenged to present the evidence for what you say and can't, you have to resort to insults. It always reminds me of teh playground in the third grade.

Typical secular fundie example of their "tolerance" of all views. Unless they conflict with their own of course. Keep up the good work, everyone needs to know what liberal theology finally results in so they can avoid that way of thinking and acting.

The fool has said in his heart there is no God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality