Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2016, 07:07 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
what are what???
Quote:
All of the names of God are translated from the original language.

Like you ask everyone else, support your claims...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 07:13 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
It is easy. The point of Christianity is that it saves. If salvation is not the point, you can choose whatever religion you'd like to believe.

Judaism doesn't save, because even today's Jews won't be able to stick to the 613 commandments.
This is where you do not know Judaism and make ignorant statements...Judaism does save...Jews do keep the Mitzvot...

Old 08-19-2016, 08:12 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,007,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post

G-d was speaking to His Angels...

Genesis 1:

26And God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness, and they shall rule over the fish of the sea and over the fowl of the heaven and over the animals and over all the earth and over all the creeping things that creep upon the earth."
Christians will tell you that angels CANNOT create (life) so God could not have been speaking to angels who are supposedly created beings themselves. So, they will ask you to, as we say in the Caribbean, "rewind and come again." (Wheel and come again.)

Old 08-19-2016, 10:39 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,047,326 times
Quote:
Nope, G-d said to Moses, "See!, I have made you a G-d [Elohim] unto Pharoah...
What's really interesting about that passage is the reaction to the Egyptian view that the Pharaoh was a god, or divine: Moses is elevated to divine status to deal with him as an equal. Aaron, though not a priest yet, gets his own promotion to Prophet. I think it's safe to say that the hierarchy of statuses goes:
  1. God or a god
  2. Prophet
  3. Priest
Moses and Aaron both get bumped up a notch temporarily for the encounter. It's a nice touch, as well as a nice parallelism in the passage.

G. Rendsburg points out that Ibn Ezra didn't like this passage very well! He understand that along with Aaron's promotion must come a promotion for Moses, but he would not admit it was "God" or "a god". He instead preferred to see Moses' status as elevated to "Angel", unfortunately.

For a nice discussion of this, see Gary Rendsburg's "Moses as Equal to Pharaoh" here: http://jewishstudies.rutgers.edu/doc...o-pharaoh/file

Old 08-19-2016, 10:52 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,996,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Oh, let's start with that the sun will not "stand still". Or the earth stop spinning, which is that only way the sun COULD appear to stand still is IF the earth could stand still.
A piece of cake for an omnipotent God who created the universe by speaking it into being.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Let's hear your explanation for this one:

God has taken his place in the divine council;
in the midst of the gods he holds judgment:
“How long will you judge unjustly
and show partiality to the wicked?Selah
Give justice to the weak and the fatherless;
maintain the right of the afflicted and the destitute.
Rescue the weak and the needy;
deliver them from the hand of the wicked.”
They have neither knowledge nor understanding,
they walk about in darkness;
all the foundations of the earth are shaken.
I say, “You are gods,
sons of the Most High
, all of you;...

~ Psalm 82:1-6(a) - Revised Stand Version

Then consider this passage:

Remember the days of old,
consider the years of many generations;
ask your father, and he will show you;
your elders, and they will tell you.
When the Most High gave to the nations their inheritance,
when he separated the sons of men,
he fixed the bounds of the peoples
according to the number of the sons of God.

For the Lord’s portion is his people,
Jacob his allotted heritage.
~ Deuteronomy 32:7-9 - Revised Standard Version

And then this:

Let the heavens praise thy wonders, O Lord,
thy faithfulness in the assembly of the holy ones!
For who in the skies can be compared to the Lord?
Who among the heavenly beings[b] is like the Lord,
a God feared in the council of the holy ones,
~ Psalm 89:5-7

b. Psalm 89:6 Or sons of gods
Do you really not understand that all of the statements in bold are plural?

Old 08-19-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The Trinity is a monument to human ignorance about the true source of personhood - our consciousness. There is no hypostatic nonsense or kenosis or any other nonsense jargon.
Of course not. The Bible doe snot teach such nonsense relating to man.

Quote:
It is no mystery.
The Trinity is a mystery that man cannot understand completely. It must be accepted by faith alone.

Quote:
God IS consciousness (Spirit) and Jesus brought God's consciousness (Holy Spirit) to His human consciousness connecting us all.to God. God IS Spirit (consciousness). God IS agape. God's Holy Spirit is agape. Jesus brought God's perfect Holy Spirit of agape to His human consciousness(Spirit).That is how they are all referring to one God. The separate persons nonsense is just that nonsense.

All are not connected to God. Only those who have been born from above are connected to him.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
It is not reinforced in the Bible...Try using a Tanakh and come up with the Trinity...I dare you...
I use the whole Bible and the Trinity starts in GEn 1:26 unless you cn explain whot the "us" and "our" in that verse refers to.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Hmmm, I'm a Jew, I read and write Hebrew, I understand what I read with a middle eastern mindset, so tell me again how these Gentile sources of yours know Hebrew better than I?...
My source for Hebrew is "The Wordbook of the Old Testament". it was written by about 50 scholars, including a few Jews. It is not a . On difficult words, it may have 3-4 pages of commentary.

Quote:
What does the ninth Mitzvah have to do with anything?...<<

You have born false witness about me, accusing me of saying something I did not say.

Quote:
So, why don't you tell me what the positive message of Christianity is and what the negative message of Judaism is, if you think you know?...
In Judaism one must obey the law to be eligible to get into the next life. In Christianity we only have to believe in the Christ and put our faith in what He has done, not on what we musst do orf not do..

Quote:
So, what did you learn?...

Quote:
G-d was speaking to His Angels...
Angels have no creation abilities. Only God has that ability. Also, we really don't know when angels were created.

Quote:
Genesis 1:

26And God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness, and they shall rule over the fish of the sea and over the fowl of the heaven and over the animals and over all the earth and over all the creeping things that creep upon the earth."

Rashi:

Let us make man: From here we learn the humility of the Holy One, blessed be He. Since man was created in the likeness of the angels, and they would envy him, He consulted them. And when He judges kings, He consults with His Heavenly household, for so we find regarding Ahab, that Micah said to him, (I Kings 22:19): “I saw the Lord seated on His throne, and all the host of heaven were standing by Him, on His right and on His left.” Now do “left” or “right” apply to Him ?! But rather, [the passage means that] these [angels] were standing on the right to defend, and these [angels] were standing on the left to prosecute. Likewise, (Dan. 4:14): “By the decree of the destructive angels is the matter, and by the word of the holy ones is the edict.” Here too, He took counsel with His heavenly household. He said to them, “Among the heavenly beings, there are some in My likeness. If there are none in My likeness among the earthly beings, there will be envy among the creatures of the Creation. ” - [from Tanchuma, Shemoth 18; Gen. Rabbah 8:11, 14:13]
IMO Rashi is one of your best scholars, but he is way off base with that interpretation. Man was not created in the likeness of angles. In that verse"likeness" refers to appearance, what we can see., Have you eve seen a man with wings? Angles are invisilbe, man is not.

Quote:
Let us make man: Even though they [the angels] did not assist Him in His creation, and there is an opportunity for the heretics to rebel (to misconstrue the plural as a basis for their heresies), Scripture did not hesitate to teach proper conduct and the trait of humility, that a great person should consult with and receive permission from a smaller one. Had it been written: “I shall make man,” we would not have learned that He was speaking with His tribunal, but to Himself. And the refutation to the heretics is written alongside it [i. e., in the following verse:]“And God created (וַיִּבְרָא) ,” and it does not say,“and they created וַיִּבְרְאוּ.” - [from Gen. Rabbah 8:9]
?Since the angels did not assist , then "us" and "our" cannot refer to them.

Quote:
in our image: in our form.
"Image" does not refer to "form." It refers to the invisible attributes of man--intellect, humor, love etc. Man's form was made fom the dust of th earth(Gen 2:7)

after our likeness: to understand and to discern.

and they shall rule over the fish: Heb. וְיִרְדּוּ This expression contains both the meaning of ruling and the meaning of subservience. If he merits, he rules over the beasts and over the cattle. If he does not merit, he becomes subservient to them, and the beast rules over him. — [from Gen. Rabbah 8:12]

27And God created man in His image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

Notice verse 27, it was a single person that created Adam, the verb created is in the singular in Hebrew so there is not mistaking Elohim for a trinity or that anyone else was involved in creation...Just Him...
In verse 27 the word for "God" is Elohim and the plural ending makes "us" and "our" include more than one person.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:32 AM

[quote=Richard1965;45186122]
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post

This is pretty pathetic...They have shown you proof, but you refuse to accept it.
They have not. All they have done is offer unsubstantiated opinions and the usual secular fundamentalist insults like you have just done. If they have given any evidence, post it.

>>..And it is YOU who are the typically immature person that cannot hold a mature discussion...<<

Right, agree with the typical secular fundies or you are immature. That comment is what is pathetic.

Quote:
If you can't read Hebrew then don't tell others that can that they are wrong...It just shows willful ignorance...
Evidently you do not understand the purpose of language to language books, not dictionaries. All I need is an understanding of English.

Last edited by omega2xx; 08-19-2016 at 11:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality