Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2016, 09:01 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times

Advertisements

The pinnacle of irony:

Flood Destroys Home Of Hate Group Leader Who Claims God Sends Natural Disasters To Punish Gays – The Gaily Grind

Quote:
Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council, an organization labeled an anti-LGBT hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center, was left homeless by the destructive flooding that has ravaged southern Louisiana this week, killing 11 people and destroying an estimated 40,000 homes.

Perkins, who has claimed that God uses natural disasters such as hurricanes and flooding to punish people for sinning (in particular homosexuals and their supporters), had his own home destroyed by the Lord Almighty. The hate group leader says he was forced to escape his destroyed home by canoe, reports JMG.

Perkins called into his own radio show to talk about the disaster of “biblical proportions” that, according to Perkins, will force his family to live in a camper for the six months it will take to rebuild his home.

Perkins claims that God sent this deadly flood not to punish the gays but rather “as an incredible, encouraging spiritual exercise to take you to the next level in your walk with an almighty and gracious God who does all things well.” In fact, he urges Christians to rejoice that God considers them “worthy of suffering for his sake.”

Those are some serious mental gymnastics! I don't think Gumby could make that stretch!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 09:31 PM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
The pinnacle of irony:

Flood Destroys Home Of Hate Group Leader Who Claims God Sends Natural Disasters To Punish Gays – The Gaily Grind

Those are some serious mental gymnastics! I don't think Gumby could make that stretch!
There is no correlation here. Just bad theology. Apparently, Perkins did not get the memo that Christ paid the price for our sins so God isn't out there creating bad weather or disasters to punish people for sin or teach them lessons.

I don't have much respect for the gay community taking delight in this man's misfortune though.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:50 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
There is no correlation here. Just bad theology. Apparently, Perkins did not get the memo that Christ paid the price for our sins so God isn't out there creating bad weather or disasters to punish people for sin or teach them lessons.

I don't have much respect for the gay community taking delight in this man's misfortune though.
No one is taking delight in his misfortune.

What's funny though, while reading the article, many of the things he says, states, and stands for are very closely mirrored by things you have said here in this board, Jeff.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:58 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Oh, there's nought wrong with a wee revel in schadenfreude when the occasion warrants.

This warrants.

Although I'm very sorry for the others who lost homes and especially those families who lost loved ones.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:02 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:

What's funny though, while reading the article, many of the things he says, states, and stands for are very closely mirrored by things you have said here in this board, Jeff.
Uh, sorry to disappoint, OTFFX.

But I am mildly delighting.

It will pass, I'm sure. All delight does eventually.

But forgive me if savour it like a smooth whiskey for a little while.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:55 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,962 times
Quote:
The pinnacle of irony:

Sounds like a great big "GOTCHA" from God if you ask me.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:41 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
I am!

Old 08-18-2016, 03:04 AM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
God may not hear the prayers of faithless sinners , and people who sow condemnation will reap condemnation may be sinners who are also faithless ..............See God gives the sun to the just and the unjust , and God bring rain on the just and the unjust , God will not allow the temperature to raise to 150 F, or too cold were life will be gone , or oxygen to be gone ,........ but sometimes when the drought , or floods or tornado's , and natural disaster , is because people do not pray to seek God blessing ,.......... See God is the cure for climate change , but the world would look to condemnation instead which will be faithless sin

Old 08-18-2016, 12:07 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
God may not hear the prayers of faithless sinners , and people who sow condemnation will reap condemnation may be sinners who are also faithless ..............See God gives the sun to the just and the unjust , and God bring rain on the just and the unjust , God will not allow the temperature to raise to 150 F, or too cold were life will be gone , or oxygen to be gone ,........ but sometimes when the drought , or floods or tornado's , and natural disaster , is because people do not pray to seek God blessing ,.......... See God is the cure for climate change , but the world would look to condemnation instead which will be faithless sin
So the answer to climate change is prayer and the sure knowledge that god won't allow too much of it. That should work. Why wouldn't it??

If god causes gives both sun and rain to one and all, just and unjust then you are basically saying it's impossible to see god's hand in anything. Which I agree entirely with.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:27 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,612,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post

I delight in irony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality