Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 01:19 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times

Advertisements

Having been an active participant on these forums for eight years now, it recently occurred to me that it is the people who are the least secure in their own beliefs who are the most judgmental and condemning of others. Those who are the most secure in their own beliefs seem to be the most willing to look at alternative perspectives with an open mind and a sincere interest in learning something new. They are willing to defend their own position, but they do not feel the continual need to tell everybody else, "You don't really know God. But I do, so shut up and listen to me. I'm gonna tell you how it is."

Thoughts?

(Oops. I put this in the Christianity forum. I meant to put it in the general religion forum, because I think atheists and other non-Christians can be guilty of this as well as Christians.)

Old 12-09-2016, 01:33 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
I don't know.

I hold most of what I believe to be true about God pretty loosely. But the things that I used to believe and am now convinced are untrue and consider to be harmful, I'm vocal about. I'm very secure in knowing that those things aren't true, but I imagine that I might come across to those who disagree with me on those points as saying "shut up and listen to me" even though I try to be mindful about how I'm coming across. I'm not condemning them, though. I think some of their beliefs condemn them (not to punishment by God, but in other ways) and I'd love to see them come out from under that.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:51 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Having been an active participant on these forums for eight years now, it recently occurred to me that it is the people who are the least secure in their own beliefs who are the most judgmental and condemning of others. Those who are the most secure in their own beliefs seem to be the most willing to look at alternative perspectives with an open mind and a sincere interest in learning something new. They are willing to defend their own position, but they do not feel the continual need to tell everybody else, "You don't really know God. But I do, so shut up and listen to me. I'm gonna tell you how it is."

Thoughts?

(Oops. I put this in the Christianity forum. I meant to put it in the general religion forum, because I think atheists and other non-Christians can be guilty of this as well as Christians.)
That sounds rather hard-line judgmental of you. What does that say about you?

My response to that is simply to question why we think we know what we know? And what is our source of knowledge? Are all sources equal?

Old 12-09-2016, 01:56 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,402 times
Understanding and respect can be achieved even in disagreement. The issue is that people no longer know how to respectfully disagree and treat each other as only different instead of wrong.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:03 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
That sounds rather hard-line judgmental of you. What does that say about you?
You have no standing to talk about hard-line judgmentalism, Vizio. That is your schtick.
Quote:
My response to that is simply to question why we think we know what we know? And what is our source of knowledge? Are all sources equal?
Your problem is that you THINK you have the one and only true source of knowledge straight from God in your unquestioned Bible. You are misguided. Jesus who abides with us as the Comforter sent in His name is the one and only true source of knowledge straight from God. Only He will lead us to the truth God has "written in our hearts" so we do not need anyone to teach us. You with your words "written in ink" would usurp Christ's guidance and presume to teach others urging them to ignore the truth God has "written in our hearts" for YOUR truth "written in ink."

Old 12-09-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticphd View Post
you are misguided.

qed

Old 12-09-2016, 02:17 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
So what did God say about this ? .................Well in Matthew 13 :24 -30 ......Jesus said ..`` The kingdom of Heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field , but while men slept , His enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat and went his way ..... But when the grain had sprouted and produced a crop , then the tares also appeared .... So the servant of the owner came and said to him ..`Sir , did you not sow good seed in your field ? How then does it have tares? ... He said to them ..`An enemy has done this ...``...The servant said to him ..``Do you want us then to go and gather them up?``... But he said .``No , lest while you gather up the tares you also uproot the wheat with them ...Let both grow together until the harvest , and at the time of harvest I will say to the reapers .``First gather together the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them , but gather the wheat into my barn ``.....................See Jesus said let the people alone If people do not listen or then come and produce false religion , pay no mind.... Jesus will deal with it on His time

Old 12-09-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You have no standing to talk about hard-line judgmentalism, Vizio. That is your schtick.Your problem is that you THINK you have the one and only true source of knowledge straight from God in your unquestioned Bible. You are misguided. Jesus who abides with us as the Comforter sent in His name is the one and only true source of knowledge straight from God. Only He will lead us to the truth God has "written in our hearts" so we do not need anyone to teach us. You with your words "written in ink" would usurp Christ's guidance and presume to teach others urging them to ignore the truth God has "written in our hearts" for YOUR truth "written in ink."
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
qed
Believing a book written by men is the Word of God without the faintest shred of proof IS unquestionably misguided. It CONTAINS inspirations ABOUT the Word of God who is Jesus the Christ, but the book is NOT the word of God.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Believing a book written by men is the Word of God without the faintest shred of proof IS unquestionably misguided. It CONTAINS inspirations ABOUT the Word of God who is Jesus the Christ, but the book is NOT the word of God.
According to you. That is your opinion and that is what this thread is all about. You speak in terms of your own view of the truth which, contrary to your belief is neither unquestionable nor beyond dispute.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
According to you. That is your opinion and that is what this thread is all about. You speak in terms of your own view of the truth which, contrary to your belief is neither unquestionable nor beyond dispute.
True. NO ONE's beliefs are unquestionable or beyond dispute. That is the point of this thread. Vizio and those who pretend that the Bible is the word of God THINK that makes their beliefs unquestionable and beyond dispute. They treat the Bible AS IF it is God and infallible. THAT is idolatry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality