Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 04:31 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,714,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Please provide the objective substantiation for the existence of these "pixies" you claim.
See...you have nuthin"...and you know it. So you resort to dumbstuff.
Your analogy was bogus...that you don't see that is demonstrative of your lack of understanding.
"ALL THAT EXISTS" is unique in that to eliminate it is to end all Reality...unlike any thing or groups of things, including the students you gave in your invalid comparison.
Supreme Value is subjective...when anything else but "ALL THERE IS" is considered.
But not the value of "ALL THAT EXISTS"...that is necessarily of Supreme Value. Objectively.
Your mentor asked the same question and I provided just one example of what COULD be more valuable than "all that exists", as I did with him. One must admit that the creator of any group of items COULD indeed be more valuable than the items created, therefore your assertion that what you call God does not fit the definition since its only your subjective opinion. So, supreme value is relative, as you can see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 06:03 AM

16,762 posts, read 15,816,850 times
This is the topic for this thread:

Do any other atheists accept a possibility for a God

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
As the title states and in direct response to Vizio but indirectly to many religious people who claim that atheists are close minded, go you believe there are any possibilities that a god of some sort exists.

I do but at the current moment I do not think this possibility is very high. I also think that if there was a god and one that is known to mankind that the gods of most religions would nor be that god.

I would other atheists to state if they do or do not believe in that possibility. No evidence or facts needed, just that you entertain or do not entertain the possibility of a God existing or having existed.
I just looked. At least the last four pages of posts have failed to even mention the topic of the thread.

Let's get something straight. All of you who want to keep posting stuff about everything in the Universe being God, please have a seat, keep your fingers off your keyboards, and watch while the other members discuss the topic of the thread. Consider this your warning. Regardless of the validity (or lack of same) of such a belief, every time it is brought up, it derails a thread and inevitably turns into an off topic argument. Therefore, be warned that we will take action as appropriate if this happens again.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:06 AM

50,138 posts, read 20,899,891 times
Mensa, Old mate, you may as well close this as it had simply been for the last four pages a stage for self -important posturing by a couple of bods who actually have no love of religion but they Do have a hatred of the self -confidence of "New" atheism.

Guillotine time.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:00 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,664,227 times
the only way I see it happening is letting observation determine the traits. The definition has to be tossed. We can see that once we match the definition to the observations it is not easy just stick to lack belief or literal title to prove ones point..

The omni-unicorn type god really can't last with education. Toss in some stupid stupid rules and this omni-unicorn's rainbow Back blast burners won't even save it.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:12 PM

1,204 posts, read 876,803 times
Not sure that I am an atheist, but not certain that there is "god". I purposely didn't say "a god" just not certain that if there is that it is the christain god.

The thing is tho, that I am pretty certain that there is something out there. Don't intend to find out to soon.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:46 AM

136 posts, read 69,991 times
Default Hope IS! religion will not have it's way with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMANDTHOM View Post
Not sure that I am an atheist, but not certain that there is "god". I purposely didn't say "a god" just not certain that if there is that it is the christain god.

The thing is tho, that I am pretty certain that there is something out there. Don't intend to find out to soon.
Sadly, the pagan catholic and christian god(s) are but the product of mankind's "imag"ination

And YES! Atheism is a religion as well, for atheists see their version of a god("I",ego,id,self,pride) each and every time they view their reflected "image"!

As for "finding out", a soul needs to "receive a love of The TRUTH"; Yes! "a love of The TRUTH" more than their own natural, temporal life, before they receive of that final breath(Spirit,air)!

Consider breath and breathing.......

TRUTH IS! Breathing was the gift of life that you received, and the breath that sustains your natural life also needs be received!

So you that are unable to sustain your own life, why do you take thought for the rest?

You can go for quite some time without food, and for a short while with no water, yet what of breath(Spirit, air)?

Take a deep breath and then breathe no more!

Such should reveal how "poor and in need" you truly are of The One who gave you life and the breath(Spirit,air) that sustains it.

And The One that gave you life? Would HE not be your Father, and Father of ALL who received the gift of life?

And would not the children, who Truly REALized Who their Father was, be Family?

Sadly, religion's way in this day and age is but the product of mankind's "imag"ination, and mankind's "imag"ination is but a playground for "the father of lies"!

Hope IS! you would evermore seek to receive of, and abide in The TRUTH!

For "The TRUTH Will set you Free, Free indeed" from your own self("I",ego,id,pride)life and the lies that are of this world and/or religion's way in this day and age!

Yes Free! Free at last.......

And the sooner, the better!

Till then, Peace IS! in spite of the dis-ease(no-peace) that is of this world....... francis

Old 01-25-2017, 07:24 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,399,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elderchild View Post
Atheism is a religion as well
Except no, no it is not. Unless of course you are operating under some definition of "religion" you simply made up yourself. Yet atheist after atheist is lining up on this forum to tell you "Atheism" says nothing about them except they see no reason to believe in an external non-human intelligent agency that created our universe.

Noting the lack of substantiation for a claim is not a "religion".

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderchild View Post
As for "finding out", a soul needs to "receive a love of The TRUTH"
How exactly does making stuff up that is not substantiated in any way, display a love of truth? The entire opposite would appear to be the case. Accepting possibilities shows a love of truth. And accepting possibility is what this thread is about. Being open to possibilities, regardless of whether you want those possibilities to be true or not, is the very essence of loving truth.

Or are we just witnessing you doing the textual equivalent of an evangelical sermon where you think if you shout (or in this case TYPE) the word "truth" loudly enough and often enough that some kind of emotional fervor comes over the room? Because trust me, I have been on this forum a long time and that don't happen around here.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:36 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,664,227 times
lets see about this not a religion thing.

1) a base "faith" statement? "LACK BELIEF"?
2) do we meet and talk about the clarity logic and reason we have?
3) Do the individuals need to claim "this is not a religion"
4) do we have people running about leading "meetings".
5) do we have fundamentalist that completely screw the pooch in presenting atheistic views as the only valid choice?
6) do we want all OTHER religions "removed" because "they are bad and we are truly good"?
7) Do we need a Chaplin in the army.
8) do we openly reject people that do not support "exactly" what we want. Like rejecting neil degrasse.
9) A building to meet and discuss a statement of belief(a church).
10) a symbol? a flag?
11) Pushing personal needs as the personal emotional need that should everybody's on only logical personal needs (saving them)
12) They persecute people of other religions by dehumanizing people that don't follow their faith statement by mocking them and calling them things like "delusional", "weak", and "puppets". Going to hell, dammed, and what not.
13) have sects. Militant, agnostic atheists, only a non-belief sect (mine) ... Baptist, catholic, Muslim.
14) attend workshops in the name of a belief (retreats)
15) do we answer answers questions based on a belief statement and not the validy of the observation?

I think some atheist treat it like a religion. I don't.

Quack quack.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:50 PM

1,204 posts, read 876,803 times
This is all part of that wonderful cloudy clarity that I'm finding myself in.

I personally don't care if their is a god or not. I am however finding a peacefulness never felt before to this extent. And everytime I get out and smell the pine trees or the freshness of the air from Lake Superior all this "your god sucks but mine is great" crap becomes even more insignificant.

It might be because Jim and I are both older and retired with no responsibilities left in life except to each other and to do no harm to others.

Gotta mull on all this stuff more.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:28 PM

136 posts, read 69,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
lets see about this not a religion thing.

1) a base "faith" statement? "LACK BELIEF"?
2) do we meet and talk about the clarity logic and reason we have?
3) Do the individuals need to claim "this is not a religion"
4) do we have people running about leading "meetings".
5) do we have fundamentalist that completely screw the pooch in presenting atheistic views as the only valid choice?
6) do we want all OTHER religions "removed" because "they are bad and we are truly good"?
7) Do we need a Chaplin in the army.
8) do we openly reject people that do not support "exactly" what we want. Like rejecting neil degrasse.
9) A building to meet and discuss a statement of belief(a church).
10) a symbol? a flag?
11) Pushing personal needs as the personal emotional need that should everybody's on only logical personal needs (saving them)
12) They persecute people of other religions by dehumanizing people that don't follow their faith statement by mocking them and calling them things like "delusional", "weak", and "puppets". Going to hell, dammed, and what not.
13) have sects. Militant, agnostic atheists, only a non-belief sect (mine) ... Baptist, catholic, Muslim.
14) attend workshops in the name of a belief (retreats)
15) do we answer answers questions based on a belief statement and not the validy of the observation?

I think some atheist treat it like a religion. I don't.

Quack quack.
You could post your 'points' until that time, when time is no more for you; and yet that will not negate The TRUTH that speaks:

"Atheists" SEE their version of a god each and every time they view their reflected "image".period.

Yet i can understand and comprehend your distaste for religion, for TRUTH IS religion was and is yet needful for "disobedient and gain-saying(contradicting and opposing The TRUTH) souls", those "stiff-necked and uncircumcised of heart souls" who would rather have a human(male or 'fe'male), than The ONE who gave and yet gives them the breath(Spirit{that which is not seen by the natural eye},air) of life, speak to and rule over them.......

And so it is with atheism as well, for atheists also would rather have a person(male or 'fe'male') speak to and/or rule over them! Yet sadly that person is more often than not their own self("I",ego,id,pride)!

Simply religion's way IS anti-truth, for The Faithful ARE Family!

Yet Thankfully TRUTH, not a temporal comprehension of life or that which is here today and gone tomorrow; TRUTH IS that which genders The Life that awaits those who have REALized "i can do nothing of my own self"!

And, "you that are unable to do the least(breath{Spirit,air} is a gift{of life} that needs be received), why do you take thought for the rest(who taught you how to breathe)"?

Yet, since you have no comprehension concerning the breath(Spirit,air) that sustains this natural life, it is quite obvious why you yet war against The SPIRIT that IS TRUTH(that which IS, WAS, and ALWAYS WILL BE)?

However, while breath(Spirit,air) is, Hope IS!

For TRUTH IS! and Miracles do happen.......

And Thankfully Peace IS! in spite of the dis-ease(no-peace) that is of this wicked world and/or religion's way....... francis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality