Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 12:01 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
I'm always impressed with the parade of Christians who come here to openly profess they would absolutely act like buttholes were it not for the fear of Divine Retribution.
Yep. Only hell-threat keeps him from raping and pillaging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 12:59 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,190,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
In that pointless repetition of adjectives does not make for a valid substitution for reasoned argument, I shall require you to explain why.

Is there not great pragmatism behind a decision to behave in a civilized manner as opposed to an anarchistic one? Is not morality our collective decisions about how we should treat one another? Does it not make sense to treat others well if we wish them to treat us well? How is any of that naive?

Anyway, I note that you have moved me from "imbecile" to merely "naive", meaning that I have advanced from stupid to simply ignorant. I suppose that is progress of a sort.
I can summarize all my thoughts into one word. Holocaust. It happened. That's what people do to each other.

People are incapable of governing themselves.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:14 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
I can summarize all my thoughts into one word. Holocaust. It happened. That's what people do to each other.

I should think it quite foolish to take instruction of any sort from someone who admits that all of his or her thoughts may be summarized with a single word.

I would ask you how you explain the existence of civilizations if people were actually incapable of governing themselves, but if course I already know that your answer will be "Holocaust."

Old 05-18-2017, 01:20 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
Aaaand now we jumped to 'hitler was an athiest'

seriously - **all** the tropes

Do you think he has a list and is just doing them in order???

Old 05-18-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I should think it quite foolish to take instruction of any sort from someone who admits that all of his or her thoughts may be summarized with a single word.

I would ask you how you explain the existence of civilizations if people were actually incapable of governing themselves, but if course I already know that your answer will be "Holocaust."
People can be pretty evil. Have you not discovered that?

There are incidents throughout history where people have been brainwashed into thinking that terrible things are okay. I think evidence is starting to support that it doesn't take much to sway people's opinions.

History repeats itself.

That's why it's important to have a foundation. Can you think of a more superior foundation than what was spoken by Christ? If we all loved our enemies, there would be no enemies.

I just don't think you understand what you are doing, but I believe it's because you are ignorant. You have not read the words of Christ, so you do not know their righteousness.

If any part of you denies it, you may find that it is out of selfishness that you deny it. Try it out and you might actually like what you read. I recommend the Gideon's version.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:25 PM

1,333 posts, read 883,798 times
Quote:

Yes, people will do wild things when they believe they have a god on their side.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:26 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Atheism means there is ultimately no personal responsibility. It means there are no consequences for how you lived your life on earth. It means there is no justice.
No it doesn't.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
Yes, people will do wild things when they believe they have a god on their side.
I refer to Jesus. Those who kill in the name of Jesus violate the principles of Jesus. Jesus instructs us to love our enemies.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:30 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:

I just don't think you understand what you are doing, but I believe it's because you are ignorant. You have not read the words of Christ, so you do not know their righteousness.

I was raised a Catholic, attended Catholic schools, I was an award winning altar boy and I have a long standing interest in Biblical scholarship. It is my conceit that my knowledge of the life of Jesus is no less than yours and quite possibly superior. I have had the full indoctrination into Christianity, but split from the program when I was fifteen.

Therefore you are incorrect in your assumption that my non belief is the product of ignorance.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I was raised a Catholic, attended Catholic schools, I was an award winning altar boy and I have a long standing interest in Biblical scholarship. It is my conceit that my knowledge of the life of Jesus is no less than yours and quite possibly superior. I have had the full indoctrination into Christianity, but split from the program when I was fifteen.

Therefore you are incorrect in your assumption that my non belief is the product of ignorance.
Well, it is my hope that you find your way. You appear to be lost. Maybe you will be lucky enough not to experience the consequences of your actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality