Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2017, 10:39 PM

993 posts, read 1,767,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Do you not think that there has never been any other society in the world that believed it was so technologically superior and that its reasoning was so sound to be impervious and infallible? What happened to those societies? Well, they no longer exist.

My point is that you can't believe everything you read. You have to question everything because if you don't innovation will ultimately be limited. We are human, we are prone to making mistakes. You should keep an open mind and stop thinking that you are so superior to everyone else.

I am exactly the type of character you portrayed me to be, but when have I said otherwise? Have I ever claimed to strictly adhere to the words of Christ? No, I am just as guilty at being human as you are, even though I doubt you would ever admit this.

Maybe you are on of those people that would rather be comfortable with a lie than unkempt with the truth. I mean, some of the things you say like where you agree that you're a level beyond me is just completely arrogant.

You don't even know me, but just because we disagree on one thing, you think I'm an idiot. Lol. You know, I don't think you're an idiot. I think you need to broaden our horizons so you won't be like a broken record, but I think you have potential. I just don't understand why you think you're so superior? What gave you such a big head?

I mean, for real, you just called yourself an intellect. Come on, now? Seriously? You know what that implies, right?

Is this how you talk in real life? Let me guess, you probably have issues with other females, but it's never your fault.
Lolol at the bolded parts. A theist telling those things to an atheist really makes my day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 10:41 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
This is gettin' good!

Atheism is most appealing if one lacks the ability to assess reasonably & logically...wealth and/or power doesn't matter.
You could be loaded & ultra powerful...and if you hold to logic, reason, and evidence, you will not be able to reconcile that No God Entity Exists, or that it is rational to conclude that you should make the determination to lack belief based upon a lack of evidence.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:58 PM

993 posts, read 1,767,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
This is gettin' good!

Atheism is most appealing if one lacks the ability to assess reasonably & logically...wealth and/or power doesn't matter.
You could be loaded & ultra powerful...and if you hold to logic, reason, and evidence, you will not be able to reconcile that No God Entity Exists, or that it is rational to conclude that you should make the determination to lack belief based upon a lack of evidence.
Are you saying it's more rational and logical to believe something that has no evidence supporting it than to simply admit that we don't know everything? Accepting the god of the gaps argument and flipping the burden of proof is not logical or rational.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:34 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,089,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post

So what happens when automation makes 99% of jobs obsolete? Do you believe that the government will provide for its people? Why would it do this? Why would people be altruistic? Why should they be?

This is actually an interesting phenomenon.

Lets look at a pragmatic situation if that is to happen.

99% jobs are obsolete. People are out work and have no money left while robots are producing three to four times of merchandise and products in half of the time. Who is going to buy them if the consumer is already dead?

How will the factory owners pay their bills when the product does sell enough to make a profit?

I believe that they will NEVER bring this kind of automation where consumer dies - otherwise, everyone sinks, including the big corps, and the govt.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:21 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post
Are you saying it's more rational and logical to believe something that has no evidence supporting it than to simply admit that we don't know everything? Accepting the god of the gaps argument and flipping the burden of proof is not logical or rational.
Not at all. And that is what I said.
The Atheists here always claim to go by what I have coined the "LOBBUNE Doctrine". That is, their position on the existence of God is they "Lack Belief Based Upon No Evidence".
The Theists always present the evidence they are working off of that is sufficient for them to make a Belief Determination upon. That evidence may not suit others, but it suits them...So...they have fulfilled The Burden of Proof to their satisfaction.
OTOH...the Atheists are the ones that conclude they should make a Belief Determination off of "No Evidence"...and fully admit they have no evidence.
It seems you are counfused as to what side is working off evidence, and what side is not.
From what I see, the Theists have evidence that is sufficient to them to support their position...while the Atheists fully admit they have no evidence to support the position they take.
Of course, "No Evidence" is a flawed premise to logically or reasonably support any conclusions or determinations off of...other than, "There is No Evidence", or, "I Don't Know".
But the Atheists don't use logic and reason. Instead, they try to use "No Evidence" as evidence (Argument From Ignorance), to draw the conclusion as to what position to take on "Belief".

Old 05-22-2017, 01:00 AM

1,220 posts, read 987,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
You would be wrong once again. I was not indoctrinated into religion as a child....therefore I am not seeing myself here. In fact I was sent to Sunday school as a tiny little Matadora and as this little Matadora thought about the things they were trying to indoctrinate us to believe...little Matadora realized there were inconsistencies in what they taught and what reality was. I was not yet in kindergarten when I realized the lies and inconsistencies...I guess I was lucky to be born with a more advanced consciousness then most kids at my age.
Of course! I am loved by many.
...hmmm...you guess you were "lucky to be born with a more advanced consciousness than most kids at your age?"
Most "kids" at your age that were born when you were born? And you realized this then...at your age...when you were born?
I'm not doubting...just curious?
I learned to read when I was four years old. You realized the lies and inconsistencies (at Sunday School) when you were about four or five years old?

...my, you are a very special creation!

Old 05-22-2017, 01:25 AM

1,220 posts, read 987,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Not at all. And that is what I said.
The Atheists here always claim to go by what I have coined the "LOBBUNE Doctrine". That is, their position on the existence of God is they "Lack Belief Based Upon No Evidence".
The Theists always present the evidence they are working off of that is sufficient for them to make a Belief Determination upon. That evidence may not suit others, but it suits them...So...they have fulfilled The Burden of Proof to their satisfaction.
OTOH...the Atheists are the ones that conclude they should make a Belief Determination off of "No Evidence"...and fully admit they have no evidence.
It seems you are counfused as to what side is working off evidence, and what side is not.
From what I see, the Theists have evidence that is sufficient to them to support their position...while the Atheists fully admit they have no evidence to support the position they take.
Of course, "No Evidence" is a flawed premise to logically or reasonably support any conclusions or determinations off of...other than, "There is No Evidence", or, "I Don't Know".
But the Atheists don't use logic and reason. Instead, they try to use "No Evidence" as evidence (Argument From Ignorance), to draw the conclusion as to what position to take on "Belief".
"No evidence, as evidence to draw a conclusion as to what position to take on belief"...you mean belief in Christ Resurrected?

Old 05-22-2017, 02:05 AM

23,164 posts, read 10,455,314 times
One time I got a 3000 dollar check and for a couple minutes it had my mind going, and then it was like dung to me, I got rid of it right away. I had started to think that maybe I would save it and build on it and that is what made me feel so guilty. Maybe I am just crazy that way, I will just never have money. I work everyday but I have always prayed that the Lord not give me money. It was such a terrible feeling that I don't understand why somebody would have so much money saved up. I understand it is the smart rational thing to do, but I have never been rational in that way. I am one of those people that if I won the lotto, I might not cash it in.

On one hand, I know for sure I would take the money and do good works, but that is a catch22, because then pride comes.

If I took the money for myself, it would be as if somebody put chains about me, and I would become the person I hate most{That me}.

I work everyday, but I haven't actually dealt with money in over a decade, somebody else gets the check. I mean I spend about 300 bucks a month by what I eat and stuff, but I let family handle all money.

MY God, I would hate to be one of those people who had to sit down and write out checks for all the bills, I forego all of that, I live, I eat, I breath, and somebody else handles all the money.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:17 AM

23,164 posts, read 10,455,314 times
Selling all you own to give to the poor aint going to get you in heaven because you did a good work, if it was that easy, everyone should do it once.

It has nothing to do with doing a good thing, it has everything to do with realizing a truth that can only be realized through great sacrifice.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:33 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post
Lolol at the bolded parts. A theist telling those things to an atheist really makes my day
Indeed. The breathtaking reversal of the way the evidence really points, the way logic works and who in fact relies on faith and who doesn't.

And Goldie above simply revrses logic and repeats debunked claims and denies ha they've been debunked -denies everything right back to his admission that 'God" has to be intelligent or it doesn't merit being called "God' rather than nature, though he tried to back pedal on that.

It's all about self justification. Theis apologists don't understand this, but skepticism about the god -claim is NOT bound up wih personal credit. That's why, if we are wrong, we are happy to change our minds, though the believers feel that if we admit we are wrong about that - we should admit we are wrong about everything else. (The "one Shot Win") . And they really feel we are cheating when we say 'Ok ok, we are wrong about that, bu not abou the rest.

Tgis is quite important as the One Sho Win is a mental key to heist methods of arguing. That's why hy ask 'What one thing would convince you?' "What was it that made you Angry at God?" They believe there is One Thing, which if they could just find it and explain it away (1) we would be convinced. I have explained tha the evidence is no just one thing but he whole big pig bitchure and the **** up of doubt swept belief away.

That the believing apologists can't seem to understand his is not because they in fact rest their case on One hing (I'll get to that ) but because they never really listen. I won' weary you wih my memoire on discovery of Keyword exigesis, but iinvolved picking a word wihou really reading the argument and preending you relied without replying. Haven' we seen how slippery these people are and how hard it is to pin them down and get them to answer straight questions?

Because this is the One Big Thing that their self credibility is based on - Faith that they are getting true information from the god in their head, which as has been shown is themselves, inflated to Mythical level.

This faith -based information must therefore NEVER be shown false or the whole illusion smashes. This is why nothing is more important that NOT Admitting Being Wrong. Evidence is dismissed. Logic is reversed. Debunking is forgotten and the same claims presented, and even religion itself can be made to look foolish, so long as the apologists never admits 'Yep, that doesn't stack up - unless there is a giving up of untenable grounds and retreating to a more defensibler trench. Christianity not based on the Bible God belief not based on any particular religion.

Sortagod agnosticism. Yes, even that is faith -based (and therefore Personal) which is why so many agnostics get so angry when reasons to reserve belief (not even deny its' possible existence) are put forward.

Like fire, dynamite and the atom, self -belief is a useful tool, but a terrible danger if it gets control.

(1) sometimes they try to guess and do a lot of wild firing "God is not to blame...you just have to have faith...where did the Big bang come from?....millions would not die for a lie..." hoping to Hit It.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality