Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2019, 08:18 AM

1,402 posts, read 477,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I respect your personal beliefs today, Katz, but a purely objective evaluation of the ORIGIN claims and sources of your modern LDS faith are unquestionably squirrely and beyond rational belief.
I don't agree with everything Mystic says, and am struggling to understand his own beliefs, but it's hard to argue with this conclusion. I have seen nothing to indicate that Joseph Smith was anything but a treasure-hunting flim-flam artist, who conned enough people into accepting his story that it grew into a religion. I don't know that he deserved to be tarred-and-feathered (much less killed), but the STORY deserved (and still deserves) to be ridiculed. To borrow Mystic's words, the origin claims are "objectively squirrely."

To be sure, I also think that Noah's Ark and Exodus and the Virgin Birth and Muhammad riding a mythical horse and Hanukkah miracle oil (and, and, and) all deserve to be questioned, and acknowledged as equally tall tales. The only difference is that the founding of the Church of LDS (and Scientology) happened within modern recorded history, without the shrouded mists of time to give them credibility and cover.

Whatever current LDS believe (or do NOT believe) is beside the point... though knowing that the 94 year old president keeps a notepad by his bed to write down everything God tells him (and He tells him a lot) suggests that they still have self-anointed prophets leading the way.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/22/us/mo...ion/index.html

Last edited by HeelaMonster; 03-25-2019 at 08:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 08:57 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Folks, I'm reminding you of what the R&S "Sticky" says, including these words:

7. Bashing anyone's religion (or lack of same). This includes Universalists, Mormons, Muslims, Baptists, Lutherans, Amish (although I don't think we have any posting).

This doesn't mean we can't question or discuss facets of any religion that require suspension of disbelief.
If that were the case, we'd have no forum. However, we ask that you make such discussions as respectful as possible. People's faith, or absence of faith, is usually an integral part of their identity, so to outright call another's religion invalid is akin to a personal attack.

Thanks.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:58 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,325,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Fact check: Shirina's knowledge of Mormonism sucks. In her attempts to make Mormonism sound ludicrous, she merely proved how uneducated she actually is about the religion's beginnings and its claims.
If I had a nickel for every time someone used ad hominem attacks against *me* instead of refuting what I said, I could make Trump my window washer.

And even though I haven't read the rest of the post yet, I'm sure there will be even more ad hominem attacks forthcoming.

So while Katzpur attempts to sound "mature" and above it all, what she will *not* do is explain - politely - how I'm wrong and provide the right answer. Because I don't proclaim to know everything about every religion - though it is beyond doubt that I had to Google some of the names - and there they were. For instance, I couldn't remember the name of the planet that Jesus and Friends were supposed to go, and there it was - Kolob.

So - if what I say is so untrue, then why did it turn up in a Google search front and center? And no, it did not turn up in a website regarding misconceptions that people have about Mormonism. Nope. It was there to describe precisely what I said.

As such, when I attack a belief - and then a believer turns around and attacks *me* - personally - then I can't help but figure they're talking a mountain of steaming male cow excrement.

Right, Katzpur? Oh no, don't bother answering. Because you've already told the truth without even realizing it.

Quote:
I don't see how anyone can say such malicious things and actually feel good about themselves.
Fact Check: Religion's privileged place in society as being beyond reproach and criticism is over. Period.

I also find it absolutely hilarious that I've been on this forum for years and never really said much about Mormonism. But boy, when I do - and it wasn't much at that - look out! Sure, I can attack fundevangelists all day, but if I say something about Mormon beliefs, it's no holds barred. Time to pummel Shirina with a post full of ad hominem attacks (and no refutations, I might add.)

Also, this line of posting is sophmoric and juvenile. It's a stupid and transparent attempt at shaming me or making me feel guilty by claiming what I said was "malicious" and "gee, how can anyone feel good about themselves being so mean!"

In other words, I'm supposed to somehow feel guilty for daring - DARING - to say something unflattering about Mormonism. Anybody else's religion, well - that's different. But not MY religion, you heathen baby-eating malicious atheist scumbag! You better treat MY religion with nothing but respect and reverence!

Are you serious? What, do you think you're dealing with an amateur here? Give it up now while you have the chance.

Quote:
I'm not going to respond to her post because I don't want to derail this thread
Um, too late.

What do you call the post I'm responding to? A ... non-response? "I'm not responding to her post, nope, I'm just writing my post to let everyone know that I'm not responding to her post. Plus, by not responding gives me an excuse to write an irrelevant post filled with personal attacks (note: my post that she's crying about had exactly ZERO personal attacks in it) while not having to make any refutations or actually show where she's wrong. Yay! Instead I get to just say that she's wrong and uneducated and then insult her some more. Whee!"

And that's how people like you respond to a post without - actually - responding - somehow.

Because, see, when I decide not to respond to a post? You just ... don't see ... a post. It just isn't there. Because it doesn't exist. Because, you know, I decided to ... well ... not respond. Ya know?

Quote:
but it's hard not to be both angry and hurt when your beliefs (not to mention things you don't even believe at all) are so callously ridiculed.
I don't care what you personally believe in. Okay, so Katzpur doesn't believe in magic underwear and Kolob. So what.

Did I mention the name of "Katzpur" anywhere in my mean, thoughtless, malicious, horrible, atrocious, evil, bullying, attacking, relentlessly angry, rant-filled, loud, profanity-laced, horrific, terrorizing, and traumatic post? Um, no ... not unless someone hacked my account and added her name.

But Katzpur here decided to not-respond by responding with a bunch of personal attacks because, for some bizarre and inexplicable (well, I can sort of explain it, actually) reason she decided to wait 5 years to make a feeble attempt at going for my jugular. I mean, where was Katzpur for the last 1,824 days and 3 hours? She knows who I am, what I believe in, what I stand for, and the kind of posts write. It's not like I was a big Mormon supporter until just now.

Oh, I've said this before, probably, for the most part, in various private chats, that this place has gone down hill. And when I say "down hill," I'm talking about the difference between the peak of Mount Everest and Death Valley - if not the Marianas Trench. Why, someone might ask? Because the believers have gone soft.

Even people - like Katspur - who used to have a backbone and didn't get all bent out of shape over the most minor and oftsaid criticism of their religion are now acting, well, like Katzpur. If you say anything bad about religion, this is the kind of response you get. Not a refutation. Not even a correction. Instead, you just get an eyeful of personal ad hominem attacks, emotional responses, and shaming. I know precisely WHY this is happening and why people are acting this way, but since no one is going to do anything about the problem, I'll be surprised if there's anyone but believers left on this forum within the year - back-patting themselves until they start tearing each others' throats out as Catholics, Fundevangelists, Mormons, JWs, Muslims, Pantheists, and general Theists start criticizing each others' beliefs - which is what always happens.

And naturally this just had to be said: For someone who claims not to believe in those things, you sure are getting upset over them. It sounds suspiciously like the lady who dost protest too much. Oh, not because I think you secretly believe in those things. But usually if I criticize a belief or two that you personally don't share, the usual response would be something like, "Well, not all Mormons believe in magic underwear or the planet Kolob - I don't, and it is ridiculous." And then go on to defend whatever part of their faith I criticized that they DO believe in. But instead Katzpur got upset because I criticized beliefs she doesn't even have. LOL! She may as well defend Muslims or Taoists for all it's worth. As such, it just sounds to be like she just *wanted* to be angry - and judging by the last couple of lines of her post - was hoping to gain a few allies in the process.

But at least I wrote the post Katspur is bellyaching about. But ...

Quote:
I find it telling, Mystic, how you're right there to cheer Shirina on when she attacks beliefs other than yours, but when she attacks yours, she "goes a bridge too far."
Then you have this.

Mystic didn't write a post about Mormonism. And how you're blaming *him* too? Really?

Remember what I said about knowing WHY things have gotten as bad as they have? Well, here's one of the reasons. It's not enough that she has to attack and (try) to shame me for what I wrote. She also has to (try) and shame Mystic for what he DIDN'T write.

Also, spare us all your hypocrisy. After all, as I've already said, you sat silently by while I attacked other people's religions - but when it's YOUR religion - everyone else, including Mystic, is supposed to rush to your defense.

Look at what is written below my name in the top left corner of this post. It says: "Militant atheist. Grrrrr."

I've had those words written after my name with each of the several thousand posts I've written here. It hasn't changed. Did you think that Mormonism was so exalted, so special, so true that even I wouldn't dare defile the sanctity of the second most obviously hoaxed religion in the Western world?

I've written less than a handful of posts against Mormonism because it just doesn't come up much here. And even when I did write something, you never really said anything about it before. But now ... woah! Not only am I not supposed to say anything bad about your beliefs, other people who aren't even Mormons are supposed to defend you?

Are you crazy?!

Even when I tone things down - a lot - it isn't good enough. Quite a few believers on this forum are doing precisely what I've been warning everyone about for the last 5 years. You don't want our opinions on religion to have a voice. You want we atheists to pretend as though we respect all belief systems and if we dare to step out of line, if we have the temerity, the audacity, the unmitigated GALL to say something negative about religion, well, every believer of every faith is now obligated to squash us with numbers, not logic or arguments, until we shut up and crawl back to our A&A forum - where, even THERE, believers still invade and criticize what we think and what we believe.

I dunno, though - maybe you'll get your wish and the only people left will be Rufais and Transponder - because frankly I'm tired of people who can't distinguish their beliefs from themselves. I hear crap about atheists almost every day - and each time they are misrepresenting what atheists believe. If I got my panties in a twist - like you did - over every little negative remark about atheists, I wouldn't even have time to eat, I'd be so busy huffing and throwing a tantrum.

And at the end of the day - heh - not that I'm at all surprised - you didn't even say how and why I was so wrong. These days, a lot of believers on this forum just want to cry like spoiled children who shout, "Make the evil atheists shut up, mommy! Make them go away!"

It's pathetic.

Last edited by Shirina; 03-25-2019 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: Genuinely and sincerely angry - and sick to death of the snowflake attitude these days. I'm already looking for a new forum.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:17 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I respect your personal beliefs today, Katz, but a purely objective evaluation of the ORIGIN claims and sources of your modern LDS faith are unquestionably squirrely and beyond rational belief.
As far as many people are concerned, any belief in God is "unquestionably squirrely and beyond rational belief." Everybody draws his own line.

Quote:
But since it led you to a belief in God and Jesus, it's all good and I have never pretended otherwise. You should know that I am okay with whatever fosters a belief in a loving God, period. It is supremely irrelevant to me what beliefs are responsible for anyone's belief in God whether or not it is the Gospel of love revealed by Jesus or any of the many other cultural roots of belief in God. I reject all the negative and fear-based beliefs out of hand because of my experience of God's nature, otherwise, any belief in a loving God is my kind of belief in God.
As you know, Mystic, my belief in God is neither negative nor fear-based. I did not grow up believing that I could end up burning in hell forever unless I believed certain things, and I've never told anybody else that's where they're headed. I know that God loves the murderer I talked to in jail last week every bit as much as He loves me. Religion should be about love and compassion, and as long as it is, it doesn't deserved to be trashed.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:27 AM

8,673 posts, read 3,874,206 times
Quote:

As you know, Mystic, my belief in God is neither negative nor fear-based. I did not grow up believing that I could end up burning in hell forever unless I believed certain things, and I've never told anybody else that's where they're headed. I know that God loves the murderer I talked to in jail last week every bit as much as He loves me. Religion should be about love and compassion, and as long as it is, it doesn't deserved to be trashed.
I don’t believe in God, but I respect your last sentence. Love and compassion do not deserve to be trashed.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:35 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Three reasons for choosing the artifacts of Joseph Smith

A. I live on Long Island and the area is roughly a 7 hour drive from me ("Pageant" is actually on my bucket list one of these years).
All pageants have been discontinued as of this year, so I guess you can cross that one off your list. It wasn't that good anyway.

Quote:
B. The timeline of the events (1800's) are literally "yesterday" in a Biblical timeline, and the chances of the artifacts being whole and un-deteriorated are far greater.
What? The Book of Mormon takes place between 600 B.C. and 400 A.D.

Quote:
C. The geographic search area is small/contained/pinpointed/documented and known. Makes things MUCH easier than looking for the Ark or Exodus.
I'm not sure what you're talking about. The geographic search area is vast! We have no idea where on the American continent 99% of the events described in The Book of Mormon took place. Most LDS scholars believe they took place in either Central or South America, an area comprising hundreds of thousands of miles.

Quote:
And if I can get two die-hard Atheists on board for a geological expedition, will you join us...?
No. For starters, this forum has no provisions for excluding anyone who wants to participate on a thread. Would you be up for a debate where it was you against a dozen or so opponents? I doubt it. Secondly, I've already had this debate on City-Data before, on several occasions, over the 10 years I've been here.

Quote:
Keep in mind that not finding anything might weaken LDS claims, but would not completely discredit them. The artifacts may exist, we just didn't look in the right place, or they were buried too deep.
I'm not worried about LDS claims being discredited. Our critics have been trying to do that for 189 years now. I don't know what makes anyone on City-Data think they can come up with anything new.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:37 AM

27,578 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Shouldn't we be asking - Why is there not nonexistence?

Existence is most likely the normal, default state of things. That is why anything exists.

My theory anyway.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:41 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,325,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I don’t believe in God, but I respect your last sentence. Love and compassion do not deserve to be trashed.
And where, pray tell, did I trash love and compassion?

I find it interesting that Katzpur said that religion shouldn't be trashed - if there is love and compassion in it. Now it's becoming just love and compassion as if that is what I was criticizing. And I say that there is love and compassion from individuals in every religion. But I've also seen that love and compassion coldly withdrawn and coldly withheld if you refuse to drink the Kool-Aid. For instance, the Mormon church, as of 2015, labels homosexual members as apostates and bans both the homosexual AND their children from baptism and other church activities.

And that's just one example. This is why I won't be dissuaded by talk of love and compassion since it can be so cruelly withheld from those that refuse to conform. While I would never "trash" love and compassion - which wasn't even the issue at all in any of my posts - I will trash the religion. Now, maybe Katzpur herself wouldn't do that to homosexuals. But she doesn't run the Mormon faith or have any control over abusive and intolerant doctrinal policies that keep gays in the closet just so they don't end up shunned.

No matter how much one wants to talk about love and compassion in regards to god and religion, there is always darkness under the silver lining because rarely, if ever, is love and compassion given freely and unconditionally. This is one of the major reasons why I became an atheist - because I am totally free to be loving and compassionate without worry that I'm violating some oppressive church decree or policy. It means I don't have to seethe with anger being loving and compassionate to someone the church tossed to the curb because they're gay or because they left the faith or because they had an abortion or because they married someone outside the church - or for whatever reason.

Religion isn't just serving god and being all about love. It's also about conformity, obedience, and intolerance. It's not just Mormonism, of course. It's almost every religion regardless of which one, regardless of which denomination, regardless of which church.

And I will have words with anyone who tries to pervert what I said about Mormonism into me trash-talking love and compassion. I won't tolerate it. At all.

Last edited by Shirina; 03-25-2019 at 09:56 AM..

Old 03-25-2019, 09:46 AM

8,673 posts, read 3,874,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
And where, pray tell, did I trash love and compassion?
I didn’t say you did - I never even read all of your lengthy posts. I simply stated I respected the last sentence to her post (which was quoted in its entirety).

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 03-25-2019 at 10:21 AM..

Old 03-25-2019, 10:05 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,060,166 times
Quote:
All pageants have been discontinued as of this year, so I guess you can cross that one off your list. It wasn't that good anyway.
Duly noted, I will re-purpose the time to some of the Parks in the region with magnificent waterfalls and visit some of the Finger lakes Wineries.
Quote:
What? The Book of Mormon takes place between 600 B.C. and 400 A.D.
I was referring to the Golden Plates, Seer Stones, etc. Weren't these potential artifacts used by Joseph Smith in and around his homestead, Hill Cumorah and Sacred Grove in upstate New York in the 1800's?
Quote:
I'm not sure what you're talking about. The geographic search area is vast! We have no idea where on the American continent 99% of the events described in The Book of Mormon took place. Most LDS scholars believe they took place in either Central or South America, an area comprising hundreds of thousands of miles.
Again, with regards to the aforementioned artifacts, would they not be contained to the aforementioned areas of Palmyra New York?
Quote:
No. For starters, this forum has no provisions for excluding anyone who wants to participate on a thread. Would you be up for a debate where it was you against a dozen or so opponents? I doubt it. Secondly, I've already had this debate on City-Data before, on several occasions, over the 10 years I've been here.
I don't understand, was I forming any provisions of exclusion in my posts? As far as your example of holding down the fort against great odds, you do excel at it. But also bear in mind LDS is a very young religion with a fantastical story behind it formulated by an individual who's credibility could be argued. Maybe one of the Religion's burdens are the two "F"s (fresh and fantastic) that may leave them more prone to modern day scrutiny.
Quote:
I'm not worried about LDS claims being discredited. Our critics have been trying to do that for 189 years now. I don't know what makes anyone on City-Data think they can come up with anything new.
I wasn't attempting to come up with anything new, just trying to potentially verify some of the old that once existed as earthly physical items according to the history of the Religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality