Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2018, 04:14 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That's a great rule of thumb. I can't argue with it at all. The Bible does, after all, warn us about "false prophets." Oddly enough, though, it doesn't just warn us of "prophets" in general. Had God wanted us to know that no future prophets could ever be trusted, why didn't He just say so?
The quote is pretty clear--there were not going to be any more prophets along the line of Elijah or Elisha...that time was over. Jesus was how God chose to spoke to them.

Having said that, yes--we know the Holy Spirit was active in the church and is guiding and directing it now. But there is no indication that there is to be a single prophet leading the church like in OT Israel.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:24 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
The quote is pretty clear--there were not going to be any more prophets along the line of Elijah or Elisha...that time was over. Jesus was how God chose to spoke to them.
I think it's clearly clear to you.

Quote:
Having said that, yes--we know the Holy Spirit was active in the church and is guiding and directing it now. But there is no indication that there is to be a prophet leading the church.
Well, then the Holy Spirit hasn't been doing His job. Why would God suddenly, after communicating with prophets for 4000 years, suddenly decide that, having sent Jesus Christ to the earth, he'd just leave us to our own devices? Could it be because we don't need prophets today? I mean we're all so united in our understanding of doctrine, aren't we? Paul said that Jesus Christ gave us prophets and apostles so that we would not be "cast about by every wind of doctrine." He further stated that these should be part of His church "till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God."

Old 09-13-2018, 04:34 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Wow.
That's not an answer.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:36 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Hebrews 1:1-2 "Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, 2but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world."

Bottom line is, if you believe that there is another prophet, he best not contradict what we know to be Scripture.
That doesn't say that other prophets were not possible.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I think it's clearly clear to you.

Well, then the Holy Spirit hasn't been doing His job. Why would God suddenly, after communicating with prophets for 4000 years, suddenly decide that, having sent Jesus Christ to the earth, he'd just leave us to our own devices? Could it be because we don't need prophets today? I mean we're all so united in our understanding of doctrine, aren't we? Paul said that Jesus Christ gave us prophets and apostles so that we would not be "cast about by every wind of doctrine." He further stated that these should be part of His church "till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God."
He didn't. He gave us Scripture and the church. The apostles taught God's Word, and we have their teachings. Yes--God did give the Holy Spirit, but the time of prophets ceased.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:40 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Hebrews 1:1-2 "Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, 2but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world."

Bottom line is, if you believe that there is another prophet, he best not contradict what we know to be Scripture.
I don't see anything in that passage that says there are and will be no other prophets. It just says in the past God spoke thru prophets, but in recent times He spoke thru his Son. Period. Anything further is speculation.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
He didn't. He gave us Scripture and the church. The apostles taught God's Word, and we have their teachings. Yes--God did give the Holy Spirit, but the time of prophets ceased.
And they did such a thorough job that in 325 A.D. people were still arguing about the nature of God and the relationship between the Father and the Son. Creeds had to be established to "clarify" what the Apostles supposedly didn't sufficiently fine tune. Today, however, we all agree on what the teachings of the Apostles were, huh? There is no significant difference between Eastern Orthodoxy and Presbyterianism and Pentecostalism.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I don't see anything in that passage that says there are and will be no other prophets. It just says in the past God spoke thru prophets, but in recent times He spoke thru his Son. Period. Anything further is speculation.
There's that word "but". Contrast the clause before, and the clause after. God did it ONE way before...but NOW it's through Jesus.

I'm not suggesting that God doesn't guide the church today. I'm saying that there is no longer "a prophet", or "THE prophet" as there was in OT times. We have God's Word. For the most part, the time of God actively prophesying through man is over. If you believe that a prophet is telling us how to live today, he'd better agree with it or he's a false prophet.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:49 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,059,546 times
^^^Katz... Just to point out...

A. The topic of the thread is "What Mormonism Really Teaches"
B. It states "Not Your Average Mormon" under your username
C. Your status (set 21 days ago) is "I DETEST rude people"

Detest is a strong sentiment, described as an "extreme dislike"

Just sayin is all, trying to keep it real...LOL. Link to the LDS page on forgiveness below...

Mormon Forgiveness

Old 09-13-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
^^^Katz... Just to point out...

A. The topic of the thread is "What Mormonism Really Teaches"
B. It states "Not Your Average Mormon" under your username
C. Your status (set 21 days ago) is "I DETEST rude people"

Detest is a strong sentiment, described as an "extreme dislike"

Just sayin is all, trying to keep it real...LOL. Link to the LDS page on forgiveness below...

Mormon Forgiveness
A. I know what the topic is the thread is. I wrote it. Unfortunately, very few of the posters have asked questions about what Mormonism really teaches, which has made it practically impossible for me to provide satisfactory answers. If someone were to start a thread about what Catholicism teaches, I wouldn't expect that person to take the time to discuss the entire history of the church, the development of the canon, the various councils that have been held over the years or the lives of the various popes, much less be an expert on those subjects. I've been asked to do essentially that with respect to Mormonism.
B. That's right. I consider myself an atypical Latter-day Saint in a number of ways.
C. My statement stands. I detest rude people. In other words, I have an extreme dislike for them.

Now, did you have a question for me about what Mormonism really teaches? I think you and I have been able to have civil dialogues in the past. I'm up for any question on Mormon doctrine that you might have.

By the way, thanks for the great link.

Last edited by Katzpur; 09-13-2018 at 05:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality