Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 11:38 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,239,057 times

Advertisements

If man can be bi-polar than God must be also, because he created man in His image.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 11:49 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,448,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
In yet another attempt to be witty and rile up my friends on the Religion Forum I'd like to point out some unusual characteristics about God. God is described in the Bible as having emotions that resemble those of human beings. One of the more unusual emotions can be pointed out in the Bible passage "for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God." Why in the world would a supreme being who has created everything that even exists be jealous of anyone? Then there's the mood swings. When everything is right with God he just seems to radiate love, compassion, caring and forgiveness. But when God's having a bad hair day human beings had better run for cover. That's when we get plagues, hordes of locusts, famine and on a really bad day the mass extinction of human beings and everything else that's alive (remember the great flood?). All of these various descriptions of God's feelings make me wonder if he shouldn't be on medication. Any thoughts?
That would explain alot.
For one thing, it would explain the enormous difference in the New and Old Testament, all of which were inspired by god but are so completely different as to strain the bounds of my imagination.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:33 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,331,748 times
LOL I can imagine a god in a manic or a depressed cycle.......running like a madman from cloud to cloud, or listlessly sitting there, ready to jump off one...

Old 04-04-2008, 08:10 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,927,726 times
Our imaginations are just running wild now aren't they.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:35 AM

51 posts, read 91,786 times
Quote:
In yet another attempt to be witty and rile up my friends on the Religion Forum I'd like to point out some unusual characteristics about God. God is described in the Bible as having emotions that resemble those of human beings. One of the more unusual emotions can be pointed out in the Bible passage "for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God." Why in the world would a supreme being who has created everything that even exists be jealous of anyone? Then there's the mood swings. When everything is right with God he just seems to radiate love, compassion, caring and forgiveness. But when God's having a bad hair day human beings had better run for cover. That's when we get plagues, hordes of locusts, famine and on a really bad day the mass extinction of human beings and everything else that's alive (remember the great flood?). All of these various descriptions of God's feelings make me wonder if he shouldn't be on medication. Any thoughts?
Hey there friend. When the passage you referred to "For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God." states that God is jealous, He is referring to how He is very jealous for our affection. He is not jealous of any human being, for he is God, but He is jealous for our affection because he is our creator. He wants our love, he does not want us to love other gods. As far as plagues and stuff referring to God's wrath: God is a Holy consuming fire. when you stick your hand in a fire, you get burned, it's not because the fire is mean, it's because it is just a fire and it's part of it's nature. God is a fire of holiness, his wrath is just a part of who God is.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:44 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,344,758 times
Quote:

Bad hair day?

What kind of hair anyway?
Afro? Parted in the middle?

Or like Elvis?

Old 04-04-2008, 09:37 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,941,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Bad hair day?

What kind of hair anyway?
Afro? Parted in the middle?

Or like Elvis?
God looked like the Fonz in the sixties, had an afro in the 70's, looked like Axl Rose in the 80's and since the 90's god has worn a wig to hide the receding hairline.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:16 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,441,333 times
Quote:
You do er because you do not know God nor the Scriptures.

God is Jealous/Zealous for us because he dose not want our affections to go to demons or inanimate objects (idols). He wants us to know him.

God is love so he radiates this.

If we hold to Gods commandments then we don't have to run! It is only those who have rejected God in the old testament who were destroyed. Remember the flood everyone who was righteous got into the ark with Noah. It just happened to be Shem, Ham, Jasep and their three wives and Noah's wife. Eight people. Remember the plagues? They were directed at Pharoh and Egypt who would not let Isreal go and worship God. Moses told Pharoh everytime there was a plague. He always repented after the plague, but he could have saved himself all of the problems by just listening to the word of God. All of the people in Cannan who were destroyed, where destroyed because they regected God. Sodom and Gomorrah where destroyed directly by God. The others were only destroyed when God said too. At times God would not let Isreal destroy because the other nations "sin was not yet full". Meaning that God was still watching them and they still had time to repent. Remember Jonah and Ninevah? Ninevah repented and God did not destroy them!

In the new testament God did not change. When Ananias and Sephirah lied to the apostle Peter and to the holy spirit. God slew them dead and they were carried from the Church and buried.

Even Jesus who is God in bodily form passed judgement. In the temple, it says that he made a whip of ropes (pre-meditated) and beat the money changers who were selling in the temple.

The Bible is very consistant. Disobey the commandments of God and you will face Judgement. Sometimes that judgement is carried out in this earth, but we know that one day all will appear before the judgement seat of Christ.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:22 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,939,495 times
So, if Jesus was God and God sent Jesus to die on the cross does that mean that God committed murder and suicide simultaneously?

Old 04-04-2008, 11:36 AM

51 posts, read 91,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
So, if Jesus was God and God sent Jesus to die on the cross does that mean that God committed murder and suicide simultaneously?

Jesus took our punishment, He laid down his life to be the satisfaction for our sins so that we could be in relationship with the Holy God. This salvation is available for all that choose to accept Him. See how gracious God is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality