Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 04:52 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,631,496 times

Advertisements

In yet another attempt to be witty and rile up my friends on the Religion Forum I'd like to point out some unusual characteristics about God. God is described in the Bible as having emotions that resemble those of human beings. One of the more unusual emotions can be pointed out in the Bible passage "for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God." Why in the world would a supreme being who has created everything that even exists be jealous of anyone? Then there's the mood swings. When everything is right with God he just seems to radiate love, compassion, caring and forgiveness. But when God's having a bad hair day human beings had better run for cover. That's when we get plagues, hordes of locusts, famine and on a really bad day the mass extinction of human beings and everything else that's alive (remember the great flood?). All of these various descriptions of God's feelings make me wonder if he shouldn't be on medication. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 05:04 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,609,540 times
Given those mood swings you mentioned, should you be bringing this up?

We tend to assign everything we interact with human qualities or we say it is almost human. Funny how we put ourselves in the role of the model for everything. Perhaps if we were created in God's image we inherited SOME of his traits rather than vice versa, and perhaps not all of them are exactly the same. Maybe in this respect we are ALMOST GODLIKE instead of him being almost human.

We tend to judge God's behavior on human standards and complain if he judges our's on anything else. Rather presumtive I think. I am content to think that God's moods have perfectly reasonable motivations and are absolutely justifiable in his perspective and really if he exists as he claims what other perspective has any more merit than his?

Old 04-03-2008, 05:54 PM

7,998 posts, read 12,282,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
In yet another attempt to be witty and rile up my friends on the Religion Forum I'd like to point out some unusual characteristics about God. God is described in the Bible as having emotions that resemble those of human beings. One of the more unusual emotions can be pointed out in the Bible passage "for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God." Why in the world would a supreme being who has created everything that even exists be jealous of anyone? Then there's the mood swings. When everything is right with God he just seems to radiate love, compassion, caring and forgiveness. But when God's having a bad hair day human beings had better run for cover. That's when we get plagues, hordes of locusts, famine and on a really bad day the mass extinction of human beings and everything else that's alive (remember the great flood?). All of these various descriptions of God's feelings make me wonder if he shouldn't be on medication. Any thoughts?
June has but one question, my dear sweet man:

How in the name of god does your mind work!?

You crack me up.

Love,
-June

Old 04-03-2008, 06:04 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,176,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
In simple terms, it doesn't make sense.

Let's not even mention all the times "God gets mad." or "God gets worried.".

After all, he's "all-knowing" which means the future isn't a surprise at all.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:21 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,609,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
In simple terms, it doesn't make sense.

Let's not even mention all the times "God gets mad." or "God gets worried.".

After all, he's "all-knowing" which means the future isn't a surprise at all.
Man has the ability to make choices. If I were capable of knowing every choice possible in a given scenario and every chain of those choices for eternity, I would be "all-knowing" but I still would not know the reality of the decision until it is made. Sometimes we surprise ourselves, so why not God too?

An infinite number of choices means an infinite number of potential realities. God may know them all, but I will wager that there are more than a few he hopes do not come to fruition.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:42 PM

23,021 posts, read 34,403,662 times
Sorry Montana, I'm not riled up over your post, I hope you're enjoying Tennessee!

Last edited by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA; 04-03-2008 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-03-2008, 07:49 PM

790 posts, read 4,020,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June has but one question, my dear sweet man:

How in the name of god does your mind work!?

You crack me up.

Love,
-June
That's funny! You both crack me up. Are y'all married or something?

Old 04-03-2008, 07:50 PM

23,021 posts, read 34,403,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyskye View Post
That's funny! You both crack me up. Are y'all married or something?
They're not, but I think they should be

Old 04-03-2008, 07:55 PM

790 posts, read 4,020,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
They're not, but I think they should be
hmmmmmmmmmmm, interesting. i just assumed they were together.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:49 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,927,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyskye View Post
hmmmmmmmmmmm, interesting. i just assumed they were together.
I thought so too.

And yes Montana, quite an interesting train of thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality