Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2018, 05:58 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Oh, I have heard of it, and its actual origin. I just couldn't believe that in this day and age, anyone was citing it.
What I did was connect the dots (posts) in this thread.

In one post, a poster sarcastically says that book (Protocols) is a complete fake/fraud/forgery; in another post, a poster all but says Jews by their very nature (spelled out in their religious texts) are meant to rule the world - are going to rule the world.

In one post a poster is saying this theory is hogwash; in another, they more are less say that's the only way it should be.

And forgive me if I am wrong in reading it that way. Just that's how it looks.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:08 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Ah the old "Call someone clueless and run away without actually rebutting them in any way" move. Nothing to see here then.
If I'd "run away," we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. I don't like to derail threads and when asked to clarify what I originally said, I was happy to do so.

Quote:
Ah so I am not clueless after all - given people are doing _exactly_ what I was talking about. There are indeed people of that religion going around performing baptisms on people who are not around to actually protest it.

However in your rush to lash out at me with a one liner that did not actually explain your position - you missed the point of mine. Which is that any claim over - or uninvited ministrations over - people outside your group who never asked for it is _always_ going to generate ire from some people.

Whether it is Catholics changing their own Canon Law to prevent people formally defecting - or Mormons going around performing rituals or minstrations on the deceased who never invited it - or Jews claiming other people to be Jews based on their parentage - this is going to cause ire in some people somewhere.
What can I say? Some people are easily pissed off.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:08 PM

2,675 posts, read 1,262,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
What I did was connect the dots (posts) in this thread.

In one post, a poster sarcastically says that book (Protocols) is a complete fake/fraud/forgery; in another post, a poster all but says Jews by their very nature (spelled out in their religious texts) are meant to rule the world - are going to rule the world.

In one post a poster is saying this theory is hogwash; in another, they more are less say that's the only way it should be.

And forgive me if I am wrong in reading it that way. Just that's how it looks.
You are not connecting any dots or posts. The Protocols were not written about Jews but about Napoleon, so connecting anything to it is meaningless.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
The Protocols were not written about Jews but about Napoleon, so connecting anything to it is meaningless.
So many antisemites across the last 100 years didn't use that book as fuel for their hatred/antisemitism towards Jews?

Old 11-10-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
So many antisemites across the last 100 years didn't use that book as fuel for their hatred/antisemitism towards Jews?
If people used a book written about Napoleon to fuel anti-Semitism, does that mean that continuing to point to it and connect it to statements about Jews in another post makes sense to you?

Old 11-10-2018, 06:28 PM

3,636 posts, read 3,423,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
If I'd "run away," we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. I don't like to derail threads and when asked to clarify what I originally said, I was happy to do so. What can I say? Some people are easily pissed off.
Well no - by running away I mean not actually offering material to back up your position. More an intellectual retreat despite the continued physical presence. Case in point - this post I am replying to now similarly just makes an empty throw away comment without actually backing anything up.

Further I think you dismiss legitimate concerns too easily with such a throw away comment. There are deep and legitimate grievances related to the things I listed. To dismiss them as "easily pissed off" is a petty and intellectually bankrupt move. For shame.

But regardless of whether you feel their grievances are legitimate or not - or come too easily - the point itself still stands unaddressed. Which is that yes - people do get pissed off when groups make claims over - or ministrate uninvited over - people who have not indicated they want to have anything to do with them or worse have positively indicated they do not want to.

So it is something of a deflection when I make a point about the _why_ of their ire - you shift the goal posts over to a discussion about _your_ perceived ease of the ire while not addressing the _why_ point that was being made. When people get their underwear - magical or otherwise - in a twist we can explore why that might be - or the ease with which it happened - but we should not deflect a discussion of one with a throw away reference to the other.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:45 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Well no - by running away I mean not actually offering material to back up your position. More an intellectual retreat despite the continued physical presence. Case in point - this post I am replying to now similarly just makes an empty throw away comment without actually backing anything up.

Further I think you dismiss legitimate concerns too easily with such a throw away comment. There are deep and legitimate grievances related to the things I listed. To dismiss them as "easily pissed off" is a petty and intellectually bankrupt move. For shame.

But regardless of whether you feel their grievances are legitimate or not - or come too easily - the point itself still stands unaddressed. Which is that yes - people do get pissed off when groups make claims over - or ministrate uninvited over - people who have not indicated they want to have anything to do with them or worse have positively indicated they do not want to.

So it is something of a deflection when I make a point about the _why_ of their ire - you shift the goal posts over to a discussion about _your_ perceived ease of the ire while not addressing the _why_ point that was being made. When people get their underwear - magical or otherwise - in a twist we can explore why that might be - or the ease with which it happened - but we should not deflect a discussion of one with a throw away reference to the other.
Katzpur has written extensively about the LDS church and its doctrine on this forum. I believe the topic of proxy baptism has been addressed in one of her threads and can be found by a search; if not, ask the question in an existing or new thread. It is off-topic for this thread, as is the wider aspect of religious bodies performing unwanted rituals/making unwanted claims as mentioned in the bolded paragraph. You might want to start a new thread about that specific subject.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 11-10-2018 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: Clarity

Old 11-10-2018, 07:08 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Katzpur has written extensively about the LDS church and its doctrine on this forum. I believe the topic of proxy baptism has been addressed in one of her threads and can be found by a search; if not, ask the question in an existing or new thread. It is off-topic for this thread, as is the wider aspect of religious bodies performing unwanted rituals/making unwanted claims as mentioned in the bolded paragraph. You might want to start a new thread about that specific subject.
Thank you.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 11-10-2018 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: Edited my quoted post for clarity.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
If people used a book written about Napoleon to fuel anti-Semitism, does that mean that continuing to point to it and connect it to statements about Jews in another post makes sense to you?

People do dislike the Jews because of the Protocols, whether it is a real book or not (or whether or not it was written about them).

Old 11-10-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
People do dislike the Jews because of the Protocols, whether it is a real book or not (or whether or not it was written about them).
But anyone, knowing it is not about Jews, who tries to "connect dots" with it is doing nothing intellectually honest, but is perpetuating the lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality