Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 10:43 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

I think some of this depends on what I'll call the "world outlook" that a person has. There are those of us who find different cultural groups of people interesting and something to learn about, and there are others who only feel comfortable among their own. I can understand why members of most minority groups sometimes huddle together socially, but what I find mind boggling in this nation is why so many who are in the majority are so fearful of people who are different.

My introduction to Jewish people came because of my profession -- a teacher and a school administrator. First there was the purely work aspect. We had a couple of staff members who were Jewish. I was occasionally invited to the house of one of our counselors, and I always felt very welcome. Now a decade after retirement, we're still in touch though we live on opposite sides of the country. She taught me to love Hebrew National hot dogs! :-) But there were also the professional aspects of the job. Our school had a fair number of Jewish students, and we were just one plot of land away from one of the largest synagogues in the Washington, D.C. area. A few times, as principal, I was invited to the temple for outreach programs, and always felt very welcome. What was amazing to me -- again -- was how bitchy the non-Jewish majority of our staff and community was about things like not scheduling exams or certain other classroom of school-wide activities on Jewish holidays. As if it made a difference whether a teacher gave a test on Tuesday or Wednesday. And this really bothered me because here we had the christian majority -- who were given a week off at christmas, and another week off at easter, who bitched about just not scheduling something on a few select Jewish holidays each year. And it was very much an attitude of we're in the majority, so we should be able to do anything we want. In fact, a delegation of Jewish parents made an appointment to see me once, and they presented me with thank you gifts to thank me for being "the first principal we ever dealt with" who listened to our concerns and then did something. To me it was just part of my job...trying to address different concerns by different cultural groups within our community.

My most interesting experience on a personal level was being invited to Thanksgiving dinner where there would be about 25 Jews...and me...a christian/Buddhist (at the time). I was apprehensive about going simply because I was afraid I'd commit some cultural faux pas. They were all so welcoming to me. My only surprise was how bland the traditional Thanksgiving food was...I had expected it to be quite spicy. And I remember the laughter when I asked, so what do Jews do on Christmas Day. Somewhat jokingly, the host -- who was my temporary boss at the time -- said, "Let's all tell Vincent together what all Jews do on christmas. And practically in unison they all said, "On christmas day, Jews all go out to a movie!" I had a great time that day.

People are just people and -- at least usually -- vive la différence!

Old 10-29-2018, 11:02 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
...snipped for brevity... "Let's all tell Vincent together what all Jews do on christmas. And practically in unison they all said, "On christmas day, Jews all go out to a movie!" I had a great time that day.

People are just people and -- at least usually -- vive la différence!

I had a relationship with a Jewish woman for several years. They not only go to movies at Christmas but afterwards, they get some Chinese food.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:08 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Pittsburgh synagogue gunman told SWAT he wanted all Jews to die, criminal complaint says
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/28/us/pi...ing/index.html

Is hated for the Jews based entirely on the belief that the Jews were responsible for the death of Jesus? Or is there more to it than that?
I think historically, they've just been a convenient group to hate. They've always been told by God to be separate from those around them and not mix. Abraham and his descendants were not to mix with the different "ites" around them.

I once roomed with a guy that told me over a few beers one night that the Jews ran Wall St. They were the major power structures in this country, according to him.

I wasn't roommies with him for much longer after that.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:17 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I think historically, they've just been a convenient group to hate. They've always been told by God to be separate from those around them and not mix. Abraham and his descendants were not to mix with the different "ites" around them.

I once roomed with a guy that told me over a few beers one night that the Jews ran Wall St. They were the major power structures in this country, according to him.

I wasn't roommies with him for much longer after that.
Good for you.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:19 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
It is not logical to blame it on religion. You just hate religion and like to blame it for all violence. Why do some people hate blacks? Not because of religion. Or any other ethnic or racial group.

Why do Democrats hate Republicans?

People hate because they like to hate, because they need scapegoats. Whoever is different in some way can be a target for hate.

In your case, religion is the scapegoat, the thing you love to hate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin
People hate because they like to hate, because they need scapegoats. Whoever is different in some way can be a target for hate.
I reject this statement utterly. People hate because they have been taught to hate, either from direct experience, or they have been taught to hate by others. I have never been harmed by blacks or Jews. I was never taught to hate blacks or Jews. As a result I do not hate blacks or Jews. Do I love to hate? I find that an offensive conclusion. Not that you do not have a right to hold offensive conclusions. Just as I have every right to indicate why the conclusions you or others might hold might be offensive or contrary to logic and the evidence.

People also often contrive to hate others because of perceived differences. Ultimately however, we are all members of the same species. We all have far more in common then we have differences. And perhaps the differences which result in conflict should be carefully examined for the purpose of eliminating such differences where and if they can be eliminated. This can be achieved by openly and thoroughly examining the basis for the conclusions that have been reached, rather than by physical coercion and violence.

One of the main causes of conflict historically has been over differences in religious beliefs. If religious beliefs are openly examined for possible contradictions in logic and the evidence, then perhaps the elimination of these conflicting religious beliefs entirely, based on failures in logics or misrepresentations of the evidence, would prove to be uniting rather than dividing.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:24 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
christianity in general is a lie taught by their forefathers, whose roots lie entirely from the Church of Rome who literally created "christianity". I'll just bullet list it which can all easily be confirmed by scripture, but most christians won't go there as they are more determined to protect their faith birthed by the Church of Rome (largely pagan).

* The REAL messiah was not named jesus (no J in Hebrew) and HE came from the line of Hebrews (The Tribe of Yahudah later referred to in more recent times as "Jews")

* The Messiah's name required that it have the Fathers (the one YOU call god yet once again a pagan name/term when HIS name was given to the Israelites in Exodus as YHWH or in the Hebrew Yod Hey Vav Hey). A attempt to pronounce HIS name in English would be Yah Ho Vah.

* Jews as you will call them are but members of the Tribe of Yahudah, ONE of the Twelve Tribes of Israel. Israel Was, Is and Always will be THE chosen of the Most High YHWH. If you choose to ignore the foundation of scripture it is to your own peril. This never changed and never will. It is confirmed in Jeremiah and Isaiah as well as portions of the "Letters" you and the Church of Rome call the so called "new testament" (another invention of the Church of Rome).

* The Taladim (you call them apostles) according to their "letters" more often visited Hellenized Jewish assemblies encouraging them to come BACK to the Torah (the First 5 Books of Moshe and Prophets) as their foundation of teaching coupled with acceptance of Messiah and HIS sacrifice, which was a promise given as far back as to Avraham, that would be a covering for sin, not just the "once a year" Yom Kippur which was developed later.

* If you folks actually studied let alone read scripture, you'd KNOW that Messiah was NOT a "man" in the sense we are. HE said "I am from above YOU are from below". HE came to show US how to walk in Torah and to be the perfect sacrifice promised by YHVH. Messiah was YHVH wrapped in the flesh but always gave ALL praise honor and glory to the Father remember.

* Messiahs last recitation to those below HIM when on the Stake (not a cross) was from Psalms, a perfect description of HIM before those "Jews" that would then KNOW who HE was so there could be NO doubt. Psalms 22.....go back and read it if you must.

* Jews over the last 2 thousand years have been reviled for many reasons but some of the most obvious are that a Jewish family's concentration has always been toward education. Jews have as a result, always excelled at matters regarding accounting and banking for example. Hence those that hate them for their levels of control of banks and success with them. This extended largely in England, France and Spain. Historical teachings are full of descriptions of this process that has been for many centuries.

* I have always found it quite ironic that a pagan church formulated about a Jewish Messiah hated Jews. Wanted to dispense with all manner of the followings of the Jews. What the heck do they think Messiah was teaching? Geez HE was teaching Torah. Went to the Temple each Sabbath and read from the Torah, taught the Torah in front of others who knew it and were highly impressed with such a young person knowing the Torah so well. Matthew 5 was clear: HE did NOT come to abolish the Torah, HE came to LIVE it (the word used in the chrisianized retranslated bibles say completed but that is erroneous as it negates what was already said). Messiah was the LIVING TORAH for all to see

* The "Jews" were NOT responsible for the death of Messiah. The ruling class of Pharisee's who had added their own rules to the Torah (a violation of Torah) were the one's responsible and the one's Messiah Yahshua was trying to speak against. If you understood the nature of what was going on at the time, the Pharisees of the day ran the Jews with the support of the Roman government. Yahshua wanted them to stop their ways and go BACK to the true Torah and what it said to do for a righteous life.

* Yet indeed the corrupted Church of Rome teachings to all their daughters (all christian churches) would have them support the concept of Jews having killed their christ (by the way the word christ is pagan to the core based on the fact that Romans used christos (the name that christ came from in their language) to exalt all their pagan gods. Once again a nice carry over for the pagan Church of Rome to continue on

* Yes even the name god is pagan. Go back and read Hosea 2 as YHWH stated HE did NOT want to be associated with those terms. HE is Elohim, Eloha and El, but NOT god. But I suppose due to your cemetary um er I mean seminary teachings you won't accept any of these verifiable statements I've made.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:34 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
christianity in general is a lie taught by their forefathers, whose roots lie entirely from the Church of Rome who literally created "christianity". I'll just bullet list it which can all easily be confirmed by scripture, but most christians won't go there as they are more determined to protect their faith birthed by the Church of Rome (largely pagan).

* The REAL messiah was not named jesus (no J in Hebrew) and HE came from the line of Hebrews (The Tribe of Yahudah later referred to in more recent times as "Jews")

* The Messiah's name required that it have the Fathers (the one YOU call god yet once again a pagan name/term when HIS name was given to the Israelites in Exodus as YHWH or in the Hebrew Yod Hey Vav Hey). A attempt to pronounce HIS name in English would be Yah Ho Vah.

* Jews as you will call them are but members of the Tribe of Yahudah, ONE of the Twelve Tribes of Israel. Israel Was, Is and Always will be THE chosen of the Most High YHWH. If you choose to ignore the foundation of scripture it is to your own peril. This never changed and never will. It is confirmed in Jeremiah and Isaiah as well as portions of the "Letters" you and the Church of Rome call the so called "new testament" (another invention of the Church of Rome).

* The Taladim (you call them apostles) according to their "letters" more often visited Hellenized Jewish assemblies encouraging them to come BACK to the Torah (the First 5 Books of Moshe and Prophets) as their foundation of teaching coupled with acceptance of Messiah and HIS sacrifice, which was a promise given as far back as to Avraham, that would be a covering for sin, not just the "once a year" Yom Kippur which was developed later.

* If you folks actually studied let alone read scripture, you'd KNOW that Messiah was NOT a "man" in the sense we are. HE said "I am from above YOU are from below". HE came to show US how to walk in Torah and to be the perfect sacrifice promised by YHVH. Messiah was YHVH wrapped in the flesh but always gave ALL praise honor and glory to the Father remember.

* Messiahs last recitation to those below HIM when on the Stake (not a cross) was from Psalms, a perfect description of HIM before those "Jews" that would then KNOW who HE was so there could be NO doubt. Psalms 22.....go back and read it if you must.

* Jews over the last 2 thousand years have been reviled for many reasons but some of the most obvious are that a Jewish family's concentration has always been toward education. Jews have as a result, always excelled at matters regarding accounting and banking for example. Hence those that hate them for their levels of control of banks and success with them. This extended largely in England, France and Spain. Historical teachings are full of descriptions of this process that has been for many centuries.

* I have always found it quite ironic that a pagan church formulated about a Jewish Messiah hated Jews. Wanted to dispense with all manner of the followings of the Jews. What the heck do they think Messiah was teaching? Geez HE was teaching Torah. Went to the Temple each Sabbath and read from the Torah, taught the Torah in front of others who knew it and were highly impressed with such a young person knowing the Torah so well. Matthew 5 was clear: HE did NOT come to abolish the Torah, HE came to LIVE it (the word used in the chrisianized retranslated bibles say completed but that is erroneous as it negates what was already said). Messiah was the LIVING TORAH for all to see

* The "Jews" were NOT responsible for the death of Messiah. The ruling class of Pharisee's who had added their own rules to the Torah (a violation of Torah) were the one's responsible and the one's Messiah Yahshua was trying to speak against. If you understood the nature of what was going on at the time, the Pharisees of the day ran the Jews with the support of the Roman government. Yahshua wanted them to stop their ways and go BACK to the true Torah and what it said to do for a righteous life.

* Yet indeed the corrupted Church of Rome teachings to all their daughters (all christian churches) would have them support the concept of Jews having killed their christ (by the way the word christ is pagan to the core based on the fact that Romans used christos (the name that christ came from in their language) to exalt all their pagan gods. Once again a nice carry over for the pagan Church of Rome to continue on

* Yes even the name god is pagan. Go back and read Hosea 2 as YHWH stated HE did NOT want to be associated with those terms. HE is Elohim, Eloha and El, but NOT god. But I suppose due to your cemetary um er I mean seminary teachings you won't accept any of these verifiable statements I've made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive
Jews as you will call them are but members of the Tribe of Yahudah, ONE of the Twelve Tribes of Israel. Israel Was, Is and Always will be THE chosen of the Most High YHWH.
We "know" it is true that the Jews are the chosen of YHWH because Jewish scripture says so.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:59 AM

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times
If you are interested in learning about all of this history, I suggest you might consider taking a Bible literature class. It's very helpful in understanding the Israeli/Palestine conflict and it goes way further back than Jesus Christ.

In the third book of the Bible, (the first five are the Torah), Leviticus, God promises Israel to the Jews. It is known as the Promised Land for this reason, also called the land of milk and honey. He told them to follow a bunch of rules about food, cleanliness and some other stuff that are quite interesting. The purpose of these rules was to separate or differentiate themselves from other people. This is also where it tells man not to have sex with other men, meaning no homosexuality.

Other people already lived in Israel and weren't crazy about people coming and taking their land. They have been fighting over it ever since.

In current times, Jews tend to be more highly educated, often doctors, lawyers and business owners. They often stick to their own. Whether or not this is something to dislike is your own personal opinion.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:03 PM

16,777 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
It is not logical to blame it on religion. You just hate religion and like to blame it for all violence. Why do some people hate blacks? Not because of religion. Or any other ethnic or racial group.

Why do Democrats hate Republicans?

In your case, religion is the scapegoat, the thing you love to hate.
More straw. We note you avoided religious distinctions in your list. Religion also plays a role. NO one is saying religion is responsible for ALL of it.

It is called in group / out group morality, where any group difference can cause hatred.

Football, street gangs, politics, skin color, race, and religion.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:08 PM

16,777 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
If you are interested in learning about all of this history, I suggest you might consider taking a Bible literature class. It's very helpful in understanding the Israeli/Palestine conflict and it goes way further back than Jesus Christ.

In the third book of the Bible, (the first five are the Torah), Leviticus, God promises Israel to the Jews. It is known as the Promised Land for this reason, also called the land of milk and honey. He told them to follow a bunch of rules about food, cleanliness and some other stuff that are quite interesting. The purpose of these rules was to separate or differentiate themselves from other people. This is also where it tells man not to have sex with other men, meaning no homosexuality.

Other people already lived in Israel and weren't crazy about people coming and taking their land. They have been fighting over it ever since.

In current times, Jews tend to be more highly educated, often doctors, lawyers and business owners. They often stick to their own. Whether or not this is something to dislike is your own personal opinion.
Except the OT accounts are often fiction, especially the first five books. Ironically this fiction gave them respect in the Roman world until the Jewish Roman wars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.