Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 05:08 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Non-answer
So is every bible quote. That's never stopped you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 06:11 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Non-answer
It's not a non-answer. It's just not an answer you like.

But if you want I'll give you the christian answer: If it's good, god did it. If it's bad man did it.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:53 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It's not a non-answer. It's just not an answer you like.

But if you want I'll give you the christian answer: If it's good, god did it. If it's bad man did it.
Yes, it was a non-answer. You know the truth is, man is responsible for all the evil in this world, god or no god. You were gutless to not admit that.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:02 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Yes, it was a non-answer. You know the truth is, man is responsible for all the evil in this world, god or no god. You were gutless to not admit that.
I notice you live in Walt Disney World, jimmie. That speaks volumes.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I notice you live in Walt Disney World, jimmie. That speaks volumes.
Another copout. You guys have no compelling response. That speaks volume.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:21 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
I disagree with the bolded portion.

If evil is a matter of agency, a being with power and free will did something to instigate it, then in a world with a god, god must be responsible for at least some evil. As one example, God could make planetary weather better so that there are never droughts, reducing starvation. Since God, through inaction, allows people to starve, God is responsible for evil.

Man might exacerbate evil in a world with a god, but the god is definitely culpable as well.

In a world without a god, you might be right. Man might be responsible for all evil. Again, this does depend on the definition of evil. There may be hard choices involved, and in some cases man may have no choice but to choose an action that results in evil, but I see no other possible source for evil.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Actually, not at all.

Possibility #1: There is a god. If so, I will either hold him responsible for the good and the bad, or I will hold him responsible for neither.

Possibility #2: There is no god. If so, I will hold man responsible for all the evil in the world...and all the good in the world.

You see, unlike you, my premise is consistent and I take responsibility...which you don't.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Well, you are man, so accept the blame you evil-doer. Because "man" (mankind) includes YOU.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Actually, not at all.

Possibility #1: There is a god. If so, I will either hold him responsible for the good and the bad, or I will hold him responsible for neither.

Possibility #2: There is no god. If so, I will hold man responsible for all the evil in the world...and all the good in the world.

You see, unlike you, my premise is consistent and I take responsibility...which you don't.
LOL

No, you don’t take responsibility and you are inconsistent. If there is a god, it’s his/her/it’s fault people get AIDS. If there is no god, well, I guess you’d have to blame the person.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Well, you are man, so accept the blame you evil-doer. Because "man" (mankind) includes YOU.
I have no problem with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality