Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 11:25 AM

50,823 posts, read 24,335,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It's an observation about personality, Rafius. This is true in face to face life, and it's amplified on message boards.

Some are for stuff, some are against stuff.

You must have things that you are "for", Rafius. Whatever they may be.

But here you are, fighting with what you are "against".
And what's wrong with fighting for what you're against. It took people fighting against slavery, Jim Crow, and all forms of bigotry to end those stains on American history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 11:27 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And what's wrong with fighting for what you're against. It took people fighting against slavery, Jim Crow, and all forms of bigotry to end those stains on American history.
I think it's that she just doesn't want anyone fighting against her particular brand of superstition.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
It doesn't make anyone WRONG, transponder.

It makes them someone who fights against instead of for.

I think people who fight against are so entrenched in it they have no idea it's a choice to focus their energies on things they are for.

That whole light a single candle thing. Unless, of course, the entire motivation is that you enjoy cursing.
Lighting candles doesn't solve the ills of society.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:29 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Lighting candles doesn't solve the ills of society.
Works better than cursing the darkness.

Unless, of course, your main hobby is cursing, the darkness isn't really the issue, and you're just kind of looking for the next person who you can oppose.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Works better than cursing the darkness.

Unless, of course, your main hobby is cursing, the darkness isn't really the issue, and you're just kind of looking for the next person who you can oppose.
It is better to take just one little action than to cower in the candle light.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:31 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

Quote:
It is better to take just one little action than to cower in the candle light.
Um, no.

It goes: It is better to light one single candle than curse the darkness. The lighting the candle IS the action.

(I'm taking the time to explain this because it's actually likely, based on your prior postings, you don't understand what this common adage means).

Again, unless as I've stated before, you get more pleasure out of cursing the darkness than trying to work for change.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Um, no.

It goes: It is better to light one single candle than curse the darkness. The lighting the candle IS the action.

(I'm taking the time to explain this because it's actually likely, based on your prior postings, you don't understand what this common adage means).

Again, unless as I've stated before, you get more pleasure out of cursing the darkness than trying to work for change.
Get over it Clara. I've heard that song as famously recorded by Perry Como since I was a kid. ANd Clara, what you seem to have conveniently missed is that I lived as a christian for most of my life. First as a methodist, then as a catholic.

Lighting a candle didn't end slavery. Or anything else. It just melts wax. Taking action makes progress in ending oppression.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Get over it Clara. I've heard that song as famously recorded by Perry Como since I was a kid. ANd Clara, what you seem to have conveniently missed is that I lived as a christian for most of my life. First as a methodist, then as a catholic.

Lighting a candle didn't end slavery. Or anything else. It just melts wax. Taking action makes progress in ending oppression.
As with all adages, it doesn't mean LITERALLY lighting a candle, so there's no wax involved here. It means even taking a small action is better than just cursing loudly.

(Again, I'm compelled to note that, since a lot of literary allusions seem to escape you, and you take them literally, rather than figuratively).

And whether you've once been a Christian or not is completely immaterial to this.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
As with all adages, it doesn't mean LITERALLY lighting a candle, so there's no wax involved here. It means even taking a small action is better than just cursing loudly.

(Again, I'm compelled to note that, since a lot of literary allusions seem to escape you, and you take them literally, rather than figuratively).

And whether you've once been a Christian or not is completely immaterial to this.
Action changes things. Lighting candles doesn't. And please don't tell me that lighting candles isn't a literal thing. Did you ever go into a catholic church? I can't tell you how many times I have heard catholics who were distressed by something say, "Let's light a candle". Did they then do anything to solve the problem at hand, whether it be personal or societal. Usually no. They left it to god. I wonder how many catholics lit a candle to end sexual abuse by priests.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:20 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
It's obviously easier for many to just assume that Christianity is bogus and write it off, than get some balls to investigate it fully and entirely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Then learn Koine Greek, and then read the early Christian fathers with an open mind. You have decades of work to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I said investigate; most of which is not reading. There's no reason to learn another language. That's dumb. The experts have already done their work. I don't need to reinvent the wheel.

The reading is only to get the basics for groundwork to know who Jesus was. It should be done, but then one moves on. The last thing I'm going to do is sit around analyzing scripture under the microscope. Jesus was out among people, in the real world. He wasn't in isolation with his nose to books, or even walking around with scrolls in his hand. You can take that approach if you want, but it's neither Jesus' way nor mine.
Wow. That is breath-taking, but I don't want to read too much between the lines, so let me play back what I THINK you're saying, to see if it's accurate....

"Everyone should have the guts (or balls, if you got 'em) to investigate Christianity fully and entirely, before they criticize it. But this thorough investigation isn't helped by going back to the original source documents, which might get us closest to the real picture. Rather, we should just accept at face value whatever bastardized version of events made it through several centuries of biased translation and editing, to support a political and theological narrative (presumably the KJV Bible?). And then, armed with that biased version of events, we really need to get out in the "real world" to absorb all the information floating around for the taking, which will teach us everything we need to know about the origins of Christianity. You can't learn nothin' by reading.

Did I get that right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality