Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2019, 09:51 AM

18,255 posts, read 16,998,217 times

Advertisements

On vacation for two weeks. Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 10:00 AM

13,783 posts, read 5,017,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyI View Post
One of the most relevant lies I believe is that the bible is the word of god. John 1:1 says "in the beginning was the word". So I'm assuming that means the beginning of creation, life, or god's plan, but the bible was not around billions of years ago. This means the bible cannot be the word of god and it also means the bible says the bible is not the word of god.

So if you tell a Christian this they will disagree with you and tell you, "I believe the bible is the word of god", but the very same people will also say, "but man cannot direct their own steps". OK. So who is "I" when you said, "I believe the bible is the word of god". Man. The bible was written by man. Churches are led by man. And it is man who agrees with them.

In the same vein, Christians are fond of saying that the Bible is the inspired word of God. But tell me, in which of the many books of the Bible do the authors claim to be inspired? A few of the prophetic authors describe being visited by an angel or having a dream. But the vast majority make no claim to being inspired.

Moses is purported to be the author of Genesis. Obviously he was not around at the time of Adam, so how did he know what transpired in the Garden? Luke says Mary was a virgin when she conceived, but obviously he was not there, so how would he know she was a virgin? He doesn't say "Mary told me" and he doesn't say an angel told him to write that or that he suddenly felt compelled to write it.

Luke says "Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled[a] among us, just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word." So these were stories that were being passed along by word of mouth, and Luke decided to write them down. Doesn't sound like inspiration in the way most Christians think of it.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:18 AM

10,099 posts, read 5,766,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post

In a Christian dominated country, it usually would be responding to Christianity.

I thought this was a "nones" dominated country. Make up your mind.

Quote:

Because rational people respond to Christian claims by talking about a completely different religion.

Your whole argument is why do you only defend yourself against the people attacking you?
Nope, my argument is that atheists have deeply rooted anger against all things Christianity. I've even met atheists who couldn't even say that any Christian musician is talented because of the extreme bias against us.

Quote:

Or why do you only pick red M&Ms out of a box of red M&Ms?

Stop making stupid claims (like Christians who do not go to church are atheists) and we will stop correcting them.
Prove that I ever made that claim. I didn't. You are just making up stuff now.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:30 AM

16,861 posts, read 5,048,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The nones include Christians. As I explained. So Christians still dominate.

Quote:
Nope, my argument is that atheists have deeply rooted anger against all things Christianity. I've even met atheists who couldn't even say that any Christian musician is talented because of the extreme bias against us.
Yes, we know what your assertion is. But maybe some atheists do not like Christian music. That does not mean they are biased against a religion. I think the pope wears a funny hat, therefore I hate Christianity is not a logical argument.

Quote:
Prove that I ever made that claim. I didn't. You are just making up stuff now.

I said your arguments are like ...

Analogies*, how do they work?

* and simple concepts.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:31 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,620,298 times
Quote:
Still dodging. Let me repeat the question. WHy do you feel the need to mock us daily?
Asked and answered sinner

Quote:
Then what is your beef with Christians? Why the need to mock us daily?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
I ask hard questions that you consider mocking jeffbase. You need to be persecuted to be happy.

Read this again

This is a start

Old 04-23-2019, 11:22 AM

10,099 posts, read 5,766,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Asked and answered sinner
All you said was that you asked hard questions. How is that an answer? Anyways, I'll be the mature one and walk away here. Too much bickering.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:26 AM

16,861 posts, read 5,048,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
On vacation for two weeks. Enjoy!
Enjoy your holidays.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:45 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,620,298 times
Quote:
All you said was that you asked hard questions. How is that an answer? Anyways, I'll be the mature one and walk away here. Too much bickering.
Love your selective reading, sinner.

Old 04-23-2019, 12:00 PM

16,744 posts, read 15,783,697 times
Quote:

<snip>
Please cite the Thread and post number, with link, anywhere in the City-Data R&S forums, where somebody has claimed that "nones" are dominating the country.

You see, nobody has said that. They have said that the "nones" are growing in numbers every time a poll has been taken for the past 30 years or so. That makes your statement incorrect.

Old 04-23-2019, 12:06 PM

23,177 posts, read 26,287,244 times
Quote:
I've even met atheists who couldn't even say that any Christian musician is talented because of the extreme bias against us.

Must not have met many.. Go read this thread and compare it to the probably one person that told you that.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/athei...christmas.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality