Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 01:14 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Sorry, Charlie. That's not what I said. And you know it.
Have you not read/comprehended your own post? Why didn't you say "what a wonderful Buddhist attitude"?

Maybe you can try borrowing some honesty from someone since it doesn't appear to be innate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 08:50 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Have you not read/comprehended your own post? Why didn't you say "what a wonderful Buddhist attitude"?

Maybe you can try borrowing some honesty from someone since it doesn't appear to be innate.
Because you're not Buddhist.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Because you're not Buddhist.
You do not know what I am... and if I started labeling you, you would start screaming and crying bloody murder.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:09 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
You do not know what I am... and if I started labeling you, you would start screaming and crying bloody murder.
Why not declare yourself?

Old 05-15-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Why not declare yourself?
There's nothing for me to declare. I'm no expert on any religious matter. That's why I'm Cliff noting off others and open to hearing the various world religions, no matter how bizarre they may sound. Everything that you are arguing about was already in existence before I was born, and it looks as though death is inevitable. If you are lucky enough you get 70-80 yrs of life and you get to pick and choose your battles, just like the cicadas and salmon.

I can declare that I'm hypocritical-tree-hugger and that I think the Big God is an environmentalist with a perfect footprint. Pass the plate, time to take up an offering.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:27 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
If you had been told the story below hundreds of thousands of times since you were an infant, wouldn't you believe the story to be true and not a myth?

Matthew: 1:18-25

Heracles, born of a virgin made pregnant by a god. Jesus, born of a virgin made pregnant by a god. Hera, queen of Olympus sought to have the baby Heracles killed out of jealousy. Herod, king of Judea sought to have the baby Jesus killed out of jealousy.

Sound familiar?????

https://www.bartleby.com/essay/The-P...les-P3CA58QZVC
Of course...nobody is told this "hundreds of thousands of times"...even if told every day, it is only ten thousand times in 30 years.
Nonetheless...how do you intend to cope with the fact that most people (and that is, MOST) believe these kind of theological stories? They have for a thousand years, do now, and probably will for a time to come.
You will do nothing, because you can do nothing, to change that...MOF religion is growing in saturation of the world population.
It appears you are up the creek without a paddle on this. Sorry.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:01 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Of course...nobody is told this "hundreds of thousands of times"...even if told every day, it is only ten thousand times in 30 years.
Nonetheless...how do you intend to cope with the fact that most people (and that is, MOST) believe these kind of theological stories? They have for a thousand years, do now, and probably will for a time to come.
You will do nothing, because you can do nothing, to change that...MOF religion is growing in saturation of the world population.
It appears you are up the creek without a paddle on this. Sorry.

I don't quite get the gist of your post, Gldn. My point was that if you had never heard of Jesus and were told the story of Heracle's virgin birth thousands of time since the cradle you would be worshiping Heracles now instead of Jesus. We are products of the programming we have received since birth.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:22 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I don't quite get the gist of your post, Gldn. My point was that if you had never heard of Jesus and were told the story of Heracle's virgin birth thousands of time since the cradle you would be worshiping Heracles now instead of Jesus. We are products of the programming we have received since birth.
I never heard that Heracles had a message other than “might makes right “ I will grant that some would fall down before the purveyors of that message, but I doubt the broad base the message of Christ inspired

Old 05-15-2019, 02:00 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Mary didn't have a virgin birth...where did that come from. Shouldn't be on the list.
Maybe there is a confusion as to what the Immaculate Conception was?
(I mean, believed to be.)

Actually many are a surprise to me..Alexander, Ptolemy, Mohammad, Kabir, Zoraster..huh? Caesar? What?
Come on!
Buddha was the son of a king...
Some Catholics have concluded that Jesus would have necessarily required a perfect vessel to have been given birth from. The notion that Mary was herself the product of a virgin birth has been debated by Catholics for centuries.

Wikipedia
Immaculate Conception
The doctrine of the immaculate conception (Mary being conceived free from original sin) is not to be confused with the virginal conception of her son Jesus. Catholics believe that Mary was conceived of both parents,[11] traditionally known by the names of Saint Joachim and Saint Anne. In 1677, the Holy See condemned the error of Imperiali who taught that St. Anne in the conception and birth of Mary remained virgin, which had been a belief surfacing occasionally since the 4th century.[12] The Church celebrates the Feast of the Immaculate Conception (when Mary was conceived free from original sin) on December 8, exactly nine months before celebrating the Nativity of Mary.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...ply&p=55163313

Old 05-15-2019, 02:55 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Some Catholics have concluded that Jesus would have necessarily required a perfect vessel to have been given birth from. The notion that Mary was herself the product of a virgin birth has been debated by Catholics for centuries.

Wikipedia
Immaculate Conception
The doctrine of the immaculate conception (Mary being conceived free from original sin) is not to be confused with the virginal conception of her son Jesus. Catholics believe that Mary was conceived of both parents,[11] traditionally known by the names of Saint Joachim and Saint Anne. In 1677, the Holy See condemned the error of Imperiali who taught that St. Anne in the conception and birth of Mary remained virgin, which had been a belief surfacing occasionally since the 4th century.[12] The Church celebrates the Feast of the Immaculate Conception (when Mary was conceived free from original sin) on December 8, exactly nine months before celebrating the Nativity of Mary.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...ply&p=55163313

But then if you really wanted to do this right you'd have to conclude that even Mary's grandmother was the product of an immaculate conception to keep the stain of sin off Mary's mother and then in turn, Mary herself. Then how far back are we required to go to make sure Mary had no stain of original sin on her? That'd be all the way back to Eve and we know Eve is the one who brought original sin into the world. So the Catholics are damned if they do and damned if they don't. The whole thing is circular. Which points up how ridiculous this whole "born of a virgin" dogma really is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality