Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 09:29 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNChicago View Post
Here's another study, actually a meta-analysis of 63 studies, and I think some people won't like this analysis, but here it is:

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/570...a4fe3c9c40.pdf

The simple conclusion: "...a negative association between intelligence and religiosity...," though they do offer a few opinions as to why those less intelligent tend to gravitate toward religion. Again, this is not my meta-analysis or my opinion; it's just one I read a few years ago.
No doubt the faithful will love this take...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 09:34 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Link works.

I'm not sure it explains much though. Take a whole class of kids that went to Catholic school, received the sacraments, got married in the church, sent their kids for religious instruction. As they progress in life some are religious, some are anti religious and some are quasi religious. Some go to church, others don't.
I think that everyone gets to their own comfort level with religion. For some going to church is a comfort. For others praying at home and not going to church is a comfort. For some, being an atheist or an agnostic is their comfort level. In the end it is whatever works for the individual. It has nothing to do with intelligence or logic. If religion works for you, you keep it. If it doesn't you change it or discard it altogether.
Needless to say there are all versions of how we end up more or less religious than others, but I think what stands out is the influence of inculcation of young ones by elders either way. All one need do is look at a map of where the followers of each religion live and how is it not plain to see the religion we adopt is based largely if not primarily on where we are born and/or live? Born in Mexico? Odds are you are Catholic. Born in Indonesia? Odds are you are Muslim. Born in Thailand? Odds are you are a Buddhist. Born in Israel...

What does this tell us generally speaking?

Though there are always exceptions to the rule. The exceptions do not make the rule.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:13 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
It tells us that religion is passed on from one generation to the next. It doesn't tell us anything about whether the person it is passed on to will keep it in tact, change it to suit themselves (I think that is most likely), or discard it entirely. I have a feeling that most people born in all religions are not observant later in life, but still maintain that religious identity. There is also a big difference between religion and any church. Churches are a business. Religion is a belief.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Needless to say there are all versions of how we end up more or less religious than others, but I think what stands out is the influence of inculcation of young ones by elders either way. All one need do is look at a map of where the followers of each religion live and how is it not plain to see the religion we adopt is based largely if not primarily on where we are born and/or live? Born in Mexico? Odds are you are Catholic. Born in Indonesia? Odds are you are Muslim. Born in Thailand? Odds are you are a Buddhist. Born in Israel...

What does this tell us generally speaking?

Though there are always exceptions to the rule. The exceptions do not make the rule.

Old 07-19-2019, 04:48 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You mean why do atheists bother? Or why do other atheists bother?

either way,

Because the truth is always important

But mainly because of a perceived very real threat posed by organised religion in the US.

Now, you may very well ask what wrangling here on city -data will contribute to the wider campaign. And it's one i asked myself. But there are those who go on debates, write books, post videos, do Blogs. But it began with a few Atheist sites but mainly people arguing on Forums. And that's where a lot of us are. I hope that there is a bit of trickle-down of ideas. I see a lot of what was discussed (and won by atheists) here cropping up in videos, debates and TV shows. Maybe others come to the same conclusion independently. I only ever once hears City data religious discussion mentioned as worth looking at.

So, essentially, What we are doing is worth doing in itself. Whether it is actually achieving anything is still unknown.
The only threat is that of common people rising up and threatening the elite. That's why Christianity has always been a threat, such as when the US gained independence from England (as an example). It was based on religious freedom and the US was founded upon Christianity.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:22 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The only threat is that of common people rising up and threatening the elite. That's why Christianity has always been a threat, such as when the US gained independence from England (as an example). It was based on religious freedom and the US was founded upon Christianity.
It was not. The colonies had various forms of religious freedom. Some had official state religions and some had complete religious freedom. Virginia even levied taxes to support the Anglican church. Please go read the Declaration of Independence (here it is: https://www.usconstitution.net/declar.html) and tell us where Christianity is mentioned. The US Constitution clearly establishes that the country was founded on secular principles. It specifically says that no religious test can be imposed for public office.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:04 PM

317 posts, read 228,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I think this is a very interesting and important question for anyone and everyone to consider, as we bounce against one another like electrons in an atom with our different beliefs, notions and religions. Important because of the profound affect these notions have on all of us one way or another, directly or indirectly.

"What explains why some people are more religious than others?"

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ology-religion

I believe it is the understanding of the psychology and/or these dynamics that tends to help people "break away" from many an influence that is not always so worthy of adopting let alone promoting. That influence of parent on child and child with parent that determines to what extent we "break away" as a generation over time, one generation after another.

The psychology sure seems to be more about what's going on over the facts, reason and logic that religion tends to offer anyway.

"Through these presentations, it becomes quite obvious just how different people are in their approach to religion and spirituality, and it beckons us to consider why."

Sure does me anyway...
A persons affinity for religion is determined by the planets in their ninth house (astrological)

Old 07-19-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
It was not. The colonies had various forms of religious freedom. Some had official state religions and some had complete religious freedom. Virginia even levied taxes to support the Anglican church. Please go read the Declaration of Independence (here it is: https://www.usconstitution.net/declar.html) and tell us where Christianity is mentioned. The US Constitution clearly establishes that the country was founded on secular principles. It specifically says that no religious test can be imposed for public office.
That's a weak attempt to try to remove Christianity from history. The nation was founded by PEOPLE not by a written text written by politicians.

It's the same kind of absurdity as when people try to read and interpret the Bible without believing in God. The Bible is about faith. It won't make sense to an unbeliever even if reads it a quadrillion times.

Old 07-19-2019, 11:01 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
That's a weak attempt to try to remove Christianity from history. The nation was founded by PEOPLE not by a written text written by politicians.

It's the same kind of absurdity as when people try to read and interpret the Bible without believing in God. The Bible is about faith. It won't make sense to an unbeliever even if reads it a quadrillion times.
I do think that Mensa overstated the situation a bit, but not nearly as much as you do. The whole world does not revolve around christianity. But if you want to give the Floundering Fathers so much credit, fine. Then you mix in with that all that they wrought -- slavery and the Civil War for starters. They laid the groundwork for both and more. And that "more" included christian organizations such as Ku Klux Klan. That was your people.

Old 07-20-2019, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I do think that Mensa overstated the situation a bit, but not nearly as much as you do. The whole world does not revolve around christianity. But if you want to give the Floundering Fathers so much credit, fine. Then you mix in with that all that they wrought -- slavery and the Civil War for starters. They laid the groundwork for both and more. And that "more" included christian organizations such as Ku Klux Klan. That was your people.
Too bad there weren't more atheists who would have done such a wonderful job of running things. Or are they the ones who have always been running things at the top? Wait a minute...

Old 07-20-2019, 06:18 AM

16,780 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Faith makes you blind to what is in the Bible. It makes more sense when read as a document that records the evolution of religious beliefs than as a contradictory theological work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality