Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2010, 06:34 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post

they don't sing it that way at Chili's............

I got my new spirit pipe today. Am thinking I would get a Kiowa friend to join me in the first smoke, sometime this spring maybe..........

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 07:42 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,648,806 times
I refuse to conform.

I want to sit in a sacred square or triangle xP

Old 02-02-2010, 08:03 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
I refuse to conform.

I want to sit in a sacred square or triangle xP

Well Le Lune, you're more than welcome to sit in a sacred square or triangle if you please, however, if you wish to remain here and sit among us it will have to be in a circle, my apologies for that, but that's what this is, a sacred circle.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:56 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,196,822 times
I thought about making an elliptical comment, but then thought better of it. ptsum started this, so he gets to make the rules.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I thought about making an elliptical comment, but then thought better of it. ptsum started this, so he gets to make the rules.
catman, you know the reason for a circle, in a circle everybody is equal, everybody has the same right as anyone else to speak and be heard, there is nobody that sits at the head of a circle. The native people of this land and I do believe that most tribal cultures would sit in a circle when discussing things of great importance and everyone was heard equally. There is a custom that everyone has a right to speak within the circle and there was an item that we call the talking stick, anyone who possessed the talking stick was allowed to speak and as long as he possessed the talking stick everybody else had to listen, once that individual finished speaking they would pass the talking stick along to the next person and so on so that everyone was heard without interruption.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:58 PM

7,998 posts, read 12,280,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post

open-heart surgery on February 10
Quote:

awesomedove
June just briefly stopping by to say: "Don't forget those mantras!"

Old 02-04-2010, 08:52 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,348,336 times
Quote:
songinthewind, right now I am doing fine, I had a visit with my cardiologist today and it has been determined that I have a consultation with a heart surgeon on February 9th and will have open-heart surgery on February 10 to replace the aortic valve, I am ready for this and I told my cardiologist today that I am ready to get it done and over with so that I can start healing, I am looking forward to the warmer weather and the renewal of spring. I will continue to offer up prayers for you that the Creator will watch over you during this time and give you the strength that you will need to come through this and be healed..osay
I had the impression you had done this last week and I was surprised to see you back on here so fast. But Feb. 10, we will all be in the circle for you while you are having your surgery and afterwards also to continue your healing.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:52 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,545,660 times
Quote:
catman, you know the reason for a circle, in a circle everybody is equal, everybody has the same right as anyone else to speak and be heard, there is nobody that sits at the head of a circle.
So true, ptsum. We ndn's love to laugh and joke, but we also learn from an early age to respect the traditional ways.

GP, beautiful Pipe you have there. I took my good friend and brother, Muk-sheemen (in the pic below), up there to Pipestone, MN on a sacred journey. I had a dream about that, and he was living up on the Yankton rez. Turned out, the journey was meant for him. He was gifted a pipe while up there. Grandfather was with us on that journey.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:02 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,847 times
Quote:
So true, ptsum. We ndn's love to laugh and joke, but we also learn from an early age to respect the traditional ways of respect.
Yep. I one time asked my grandfather about the Lakotas and their Sun Dance, why they did it and why we Comanches did not. He simply said, "Son, that is their way and it is not yours to question it. You resect their way and the ways of all others...but make damn sure they respect your way too."

Then grandpa being grandpa said, "As to why Comanches do not do the Sun Dance. Way back we tried it once and after it was over the people said, 'Nah. Comanches would rather give pain then receive it.'" Then he gave his Old Man laugh.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Yep. I one time asked my grandfather about the Lakotas and their Sun Dance, why they did it and why we Comanches did not. He simply said, "Son, that is their way and it is not yours to question it. You resect their way and the ways of all others...but make damn sure they respect your way too."

Then grandpa being grandpa said, "As to why Comanches do not do the Sun Dance. Way back we tried it once and after it was over the people said, 'Nah. Comanches would rather give pain then receive it.'" Then he gave his Old Man laugh.

Good to have a sense of humor....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality