Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2010, 04:10 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times

Advertisements

Masonsdaughter - thank you so much! I'm back on track now and happy as ever!

To all my honorary grandfathers - or maybe you would prefer fathers or brothers since I'm not a child and I don't want to insinuate that you are all old farts!!! - what a special group of people you are! My own grandfather is... well... not the best person. The man that I considered my grandfather was my highschool boyfriend's father. I called him grand-pere and I loved him so much! When my boyfriend and I broke up (amicably - and we are still very close friends), grand-pere was very upset and asked if we could remain close! And we did up until he passed away. He was such a special man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 05:15 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
It has always been odd to me the number of people who don't understand the concept of having family that you are not biologically related to. Many is the time I've had to explain to non-natives how "real" these relationships are in native cultures....of how when we say grandpa, grandson, daughter, brother or niece that we mean it and it's not just some term of affection. How sad it must be to not know the joy have having more grandparents, uncles and aunts, and brothers and sisters than you know what to do with.
Aho...

Old 08-31-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
... I don't want to insinuate that you are all old farts!!!
While I certainly cannot speak for any of the others, I will say this. Find a copy of the American Dictionary of Slang. Turn to the entry "old fart", and look right above it. That's my picture!!!

Dewdrop, you may call me anything you wish, as long at it isn't late to dinner.

-- Nighteyes

Old 08-31-2010, 05:38 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,659,782 times
Well my youngest granddaughter, who is going to be 21 years old next month,swears that I'm old enough to have been around during the Revolutionary War, when she was having problems with history while she was in school, she would come to me for the answers and we would sit and talk and I would tell her all about it, one day she asked me, Pop Pop you sure you weren't there when all this happened, jokingly I told her, yeah I was around even back then....

Old 08-31-2010, 05:57 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,840,083 times
ANd the circle is complete. In a split second it will be done of SIgns from the physical duplicate of mental improvement; no, to me it was the mental duplicate of physical improvement for all not letting go.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:54 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
I'd say the circle is decidedly elliptical now.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:58 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
the interesting thing about circles........regardless of the number of participants it is always symmetrical and balanced. Jesus talked about this ....."wherever two or more are gathered".........for a circle to be complete you must have 3 points. With the creator as the basis, when you have two you have a circle. As the number grows the circle grows, but is always a circle. As we each have different experiences we can each contribute......some more than others, some differently than others........and as words are spoken those who listen, with respect, must weigh those words, both for content and context. Frequently words have meaning for one and not another, but each word should be considered and given the proper weight for the listener........as you can see, on occasion some words have no meaning or relevance to most of us however they probably do to some others that are listening or at least to the speaker.

Leonard Cohen, the musician coined a phrase in his song "Closing time" where he says "and the Johnnie Walker wisdom running high"

I occasionally see posts, even here in this circle of peers and friends, where it seems the Johnnie Walker wisdom runs high......but that may be my perception and those words may have meaning for the speaker or to some other listener..........

Quote:
Ah we're drinking and we're dancing
and the band is really happening
and the Johnnie Walker wisdom running high
And my very sweet companion
she's the Angel of Compassion
she's rubbing half the world against her thigh
And every drinker every dancer
lifts a happy face to thank her
the fiddler fiddles something so sublime
all the women tear their blouses off
and the men they dance on the polka-dots
and it's partner found, it's partner lost
and it's hell to pay when the fiddler stops:
it's closing time

YouTube - Leonard Cohen: Closing Time

Last edited by Goodpasture; 09-01-2010 at 01:12 PM..

Old 09-01-2010, 05:37 PM

And after the Johnny Walker Wisdom:

Well I woke up Sunday morning,
with no way to hold my head
that didn't hurt...

-- Kris Kristoffersen, Sunday Morning Coming Down

Dang, that boy can write! (Too bad he can't sing...)

Old 09-01-2010, 05:54 PM

He got to sleep with Rita Cooledge for several years........I would try to sing myself for that...........

YouTube - Help Me Make It Through The Night

She is Tsa La Ghi, you know................

Old 09-01-2010, 06:03 PM

A side note about Rita....she is a member of the ndn womens group Walela (Cherokee for Hummingbird).....consisting of Rita, her sister and her niece.

YouTube - richheape.com Walela Live In Concert Native American Music

You know, people who say ndn's don't contribute to society or simply should stay on reservations have little idea how much native american culture has enriched us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality