Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2021, 04:09 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,796,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
this aint that hard HF.

"slavery is wrong", as we use the term today. As in owning somebody like a pet.

"slavery" was how they did business back then. If Jesus tried to at least tell people "Yo, they are human, be nice to them." that is really good for back then. They killed people for talking like that then ...errr ...wait a min ...
Who said that people back then were "owned like pets"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 04:15 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,597,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Who said that people back then were "owned like pets"?
that's a good point. Thats why I clarified it.

some things are not slavery as we use the word. But some people think making somebody work for food stamps or have a id when voting is slavery so it does get dicey. "slavery is wrong" is like saying "atheism has atheist that treat it like a religion." to me. Just say it clearly and move on to the defenses of the position or the evidence used to make the claims.

But hey mink, you and I both know its not about truth here. Its deity fighting anti-deity, no understanding each other allowed.

Old 03-29-2021, 04:24 PM

23,182 posts, read 10,474,991 times
Quote:
this aint that hard HF.

"slavery is wrong", as we use the term today. As in owning somebody like a pet.

"slavery" was how they did business back then. If Jesus tried to at least tell people "Yo, they are human, be nice to them." that is really good for back then. They killed people for talking like that then ...errr ...wait a min ...
If Jesus was against the law, he wasnt a Messiah, and if the law isnt righteous, why would he stand behind it?

Galatians 5
For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

The law can be summed up in loving thy neighbor because that is the outcome of the whole law, problem is , there is no way to relay the perspective a person has while loving and living in the law.

If you love and live by the law, your servants are going to become family because you were also born in slavery.

The reason why so very many servants refused to leave their masters house that a whole science was made on what was done to slaves who refused their freedom is because they became family.

Why would just one slave refuse their freedom, much less, so many as to begin a whole slew of tradtions on what is said and done to slaves refusing their freedoms?

It doesnt matter whether it is Hebrew slave to a Hebrew or the Gentile slave of a Hebrew, so many slaves refusing to their freedom should say alot

Old 03-29-2021, 04:30 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,597,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
If Jesus was against the law, he wasnt a Messiah, and if the law isnt righteous, why would he stand behind it?

Galatians 5
For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

The law can be summed up in loving thy neighbor because that is the outcome of the whole law, problem is , there is no way to relay the perspective a person has while loving and living in the law.

If you love and live by the law, your servants are going to become family because you were also born in slavery.

The reason why so very many servants refused to leave their masters house that a whole science was made on what was done to slaves who refused their freedom is because they became family.

Why would just one slave refuse their freedom, much less, so many as to begin a whole slew of tradtions on what is said and done to slaves refusing their freedoms?

It doesnt matter whether it is Hebrew slave to a Hebrew or the Gentile slave of a Hebrew, so many slaves refusing to their freedom should say alot
slaves not leaving and choosing to live under those conditions are not slaves as we use the word today.

If a slave can leave, thats not slavery. I mean as we use the word leave. Not leave and be killed by some dirt ball later.

still, this aint that hard "slavery is wrong". then you can say all the other stuff.

I think you, like some hard core atheist, can't address everything straight up and out in the open for a reason for a reason.

Old 03-29-2021, 04:37 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,796,461 times
Quote:
that's a good point. Thats why I clarified it.

some things are not slavery as we use the word. But some people think making somebody work for food stamps or have a id when voting is slavery so it does get dicey. "slavery is wrong" is like saying "atheism has atheist that treat it like a religion." to me. Just say it clearly and move on to the defenses of the position or the evidence used to make the claims.

But hey mink, you and I both know its not about truth here. Its deity fighting anti-deity, no understanding each other allowed.
Yeah, I get it.

So many words have changed in our English language that it's hard to keep up. "Gay" USED to mean "happy" only 100 years ago. Yet, if someone says that they're "gay" TODAY, it means that they're homosexual. And if someone TODAY reads about someone who wrote that they're "gay" in the 1700's, the person TODAY would read it to mean they were homosexual.

Words have changed throughout history, and the word "slave" is no exception...especially since "slave" wasn't even a word several thousand years ago.

Heck, my ex-husband used to refer to himself as a "slave" to the US government...that the goverment basically "owned his butt", because he was in the Air Force...and the Air Force could pretty much "make" him do, ALMOST whatever they wanted. That is, if he worked in an office during his stint, they could have told him at ANY TIME, DAY OR NIGHT, to pick up a rifle and shoot...

I am now despondent...for I am a "slave" to physics, in that physics "owns" me...for I cannot flap my arms and arrive at place where I desire to be, at this very moment in time.

Such is life.

Old 03-29-2021, 05:04 PM

50,884 posts, read 24,384,032 times
Quote:
Define "owning". And don't define it in modern terms. Define it as it was meant.
This is exactly the kind of "but" that christians use to justify ANYTHING in the bible.

We all know the meaning of "owning" that's being used here.

Old 03-29-2021, 05:06 PM

16,690 posts, read 15,693,414 times
You guys must have overlooked the parts in the Bible where slave ownership was differentiated from indentured servitude. Maybe you also missed the part where fathers could bequeath his slaves to his heir. You can't "interpret" your way out of it. The Bible does not forbid the owning of slaves.

All that other stuff is irrelevant to this discussion. We're not talking about euphemisms, either. This isn't "slaving over a hot stove all day." Owning humans, in any way, is wrong.

Old 03-29-2021, 05:07 PM

50,884 posts, read 24,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You guys must have overlooked the parts in the Bible where slave ownership was differentiated from indentured servitude. Maybe you also missed the part where fathers could bequeath his slaves to his heir. You can't "interpret" your way out of it. The Bible does not forbid the owning of slaves.

All that other stuff is irrelevant to this discussion. We're not talking about euphemisms, either. This isn't "slaving over a hot stove all day." Owning humans, in any way, is wrong.
My conclusion based on a number of christian posters in this thread: christians don't know that owning human beings is wrong.

Old 03-29-2021, 05:17 PM

23,182 posts, read 10,474,991 times
Quote:
slaves not leaving and choosing to live under those conditions are not slaves as we use the word today.

If a slave can leave, thats not slavery. I mean as we use the word leave. Not leave and be killed by some dirt ball later.

still, this aint that hard "slavery is wrong". then you can say all the other stuff.

I think you, like some hard core atheist, can't address everything straight up and out in the open for a reason for a reason.
No, it's because it's impossible to relay so much information, and the perspective a Jew would have if he had a slave.

I am just a newbie studying,, I was Christian for decades, but I had no idea how much I didn't know about Jewish culture and heritage concerning the law.

Trying to share a perspective is almost impossible. It would be like me handing you a book and me saying," Read." Unfortuanetly, the book is written in a language you cant read. I am not saying anyone is stupid, I am saying that it is impossible to relay the perspective with a Christian, much less and Atheist.

Just in my short years of studying the law and Jewish perspective has only proven how much I haven't learned yet.

The bible is written to slave and master and everything works that way in every nation.

God chose a people out of the world to call his people, and then God says," Your people will be slaves for 400 years, and then,."

Stop right there and say," WTH God?"

He chooses one people amongst all the people of the world and his intent is to begin them with 400 years of slavery?

Why is this his plan?

Amos
Are ye not as children of the Ethiopians unto me, O children of Israel? saith the LORD. Have not I brought up Israel out of the land of Egypt? and the Philistines from Caphtor, and the Syrians from Kir?

It is what God does. Before Israel were slaves, and before Moses, there was a Moses, there were other people who became slaves and who were delivered, that is the plan.

From country to country God delivers people out of slavery, and why does he plan slaves to be slaves in need of a deliverer?

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 03-29-2021 at 05:35 PM..

Old 03-29-2021, 05:41 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,608,942 times
Quote:
Yeah, I get it.

So many words have changed in our English language that it's hard to keep up. "Gay" USED to mean "happy" only 100 years ago. Yet, if someone says that they're "gay" TODAY, it means that they're homosexual. And if someone TODAY reads about someone who wrote that they're "gay" in the 1700's, the person TODAY would read it to mean they were homosexual.

Words have changed throughout history, and the word "slave" is no exception...especially since "slave" wasn't even a word several thousand years ago.

Heck, my ex-husband used to refer to himself as a "slave" to the US government...that the goverment basically "owned his butt", because he was in the Air Force...and the Air Force could pretty much "make" him do, ALMOST whatever they wanted. That is, if he worked in an office during his stint, they could have told him at ANY TIME, DAY OR NIGHT, to pick up a rifle and shoot...

I am now despondent...for I am a "slave" to physics, in that physics "owns" me...for I cannot flap my arms and arrive at place where I desire to be, at this very moment in time.

Such is life.
god purposely messed language up at the tower.

All part of the plan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality