Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2021, 03:37 PM

51,074 posts, read 24,578,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
No matter how many volts are sent its way, a dim bulb won't get bright.
But we might burn the bulb out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2021, 03:41 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,347,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Answer why atheists quote from the bible a lot, then the point will be revealed to you like a miracle.
Stay on topic, and this is my last response to you. Check the thread topic you are responding to. There is no evidence that he is Christian nor Atheist, he can be anything. there is no evidence.
Just like for god - no evidence as atheists know so well.
The answer to your question is that many atheists quote the Bible when discussing with believers what the Bible says or doesn't say. In that context it makes sense to quote the Bible. Was this a debate about the Bible, religion or the renaming of a high school?

The topic was a man, maybe a Christian, using the Bible to justify slavery in the American past. You changed it to attempting to show how bad people using the Bible are probably not Christians but perhaps atheists because only you can use a broad brush to slam a group of people and only atheists may be slammed. If I was off topic by responding t9 your words then perhaps you wete off topic in the first place.

Statistically a man , in Florida, speaking in a public hearing and quoting the Bible is much more likely to be a Christian than an atheist regardless of what he says. Guess atheists are an insignificant portion of the population until it is convenient for them to be counted equally such as in this example.

Old 03-30-2021, 06:30 PM

11,089 posts, read 6,038,404 times
Quote:
Several points.
A few Christians in CD do not make up the universe of Christians.
The man quoted Jesus. I have not seen evidence that Jesus actually said that.
Anything else bible said is the text, not Jesus.
Diverting this thread to argue about the right and wrong of slavery is off topic. That is not the point of the title which is slander because there is no evidence he is Christian.
Anybody can quote from the bible. Atheists do it all the time. They can also easily quote the OT, NT, the 613, (a whole thread!) the vedas, and what not.
So why do think he cannot just as easily be an atheist?
Racist because he wants to presrve a racist ideology by not changing the name of the school. What do you think he is?
I just don't see race or racial ideology being involved. Cultural maybe.

The man could indeed just as easily be an atheist or a new ager or pagan. However, atheists and new agers don't tend to support slavery. Ancient pagans did (Romans) and so did Christians.

Considering where the man is from and what he is doing, the chances are that he is a Christian. He is after all, standing in public with a bible in his hands and quoting from it to justify slavery. In all my life, I have never seen an atheist or a Muslim or any other religion for that matter, holding a bible while quoting from it. I have seen plenty of Christians doing that though.

Something else to consider is that atheists who know the bible generally have rejected Christianity. Those that do quote from it often do so to point out its contradictions and immoral 'laws'. Like slavery. Not in support of slavery but to show the immorality of slavery.

So having thought about it, I would say all the evidence points to the man being Christian. That's not proof - just evidence.

Old 03-30-2021, 06:42 PM

23,270 posts, read 10,561,208 times
I would say you would have to be cold hearted if you were a Hebrew or Jew in biblical times and you refused to take servants of Jews or Gentiles.

That is just the truth.

A man, his wife and children show up in the courtyard of Jerusalem. They have no shelter, no food, and no means of making a living.

Jerusalem stands in shame if somebody stands in the courtyard for even 2 days because somebody should have come by law and taken them into their house whether Jew or Gentile.

Life happens, a family loses everything through the tax man and just bad luck. He is kicked out of his house over taxation and just bad luck and there he is in the courtyard of Jerusalem with his family with absolutely no hope.

The man happens to be a Hebrew and he has only one hope, and that hope is through the law, HOPING AND PRAYING THAT ANYONE WOULD TAKE HIM AND HIS FAMILY AS SERVANTS.

So many Jews took so many slaves that an entire system of traditions and culture were created from when servants refused their freedom.

Was a Jew a monster for taking servants under the biblical laws of slavery?

A Hebrew shows up in the courtyard of Jerusalem with his wife and kids, and he has nothing, and his only hope IS THE LAW.

Nobody takes him to be their servants, and so he gets desperate begging from house to house in pleading for him and his family to be taken in.

Everyone is looking at slave owners as if they are monsters, but the reality is often opposite.

We are in many cases speaking of the most loving people in the world who took in families and lost souls, and the reasons they took slaves was not out of some big money scheme as it is with most nations who take slaves.

You are a Hebtew and you dont want slaves, but your brethren Hebrew shows up at your house begging to be taken in, him and his family.

What would be cold hearted would have been to slam the door in his face saying," owning people is wrong."

I am certain that some had abused their positions, but I would say that most Hebrews that took servants, only took them from a kind heart.

The reason SO MANY servants refused to be set free, where would they go?

" Here, be free."

They have shelter, sustenance and love, should they just start walking on their way to the courtyard again?

Jus saying, what has been said about masters is completely unfair.

If a family showed up at your door with nothing, begging you to shelter him and his family, are you gonna say no?

Its conveniant and unfair to think biblical slavery works like any other slavery, it just doesnt.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 03-30-2021 at 07:29 PM..

Old 03-30-2021, 06:55 PM

16,160 posts, read 7,131,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I just don't see race or racial ideology being involved. Cultural maybe.

The man could indeed just as easily be an atheist or a new ager or pagan. However, atheists and new agers don't tend to support slavery. Ancient pagans did (Romans) and so did Christians.

Considering where the man is from and what he is doing, the chances are that he is a Christian. He is after all, standing in public with a bible in his hands and quoting from it to justify slavery. In all my life, I have never seen an atheist or a Muslim or any other religion for that matter, holding a bible while quoting from it. I have seen plenty of Christians doing that though.

Something else to consider is that atheists who know the bible generally have rejected Christianity. Those that do quote from it often do so to point out its contradictions and immoral 'laws'. Like slavery. Not in support of slavery but to show the immorality of slavery.

So having thought about it, I would say all the evidence points to the man being Christian. That's not proof - just evidence.
You have no evidence. You are just guessing. He can be anything including atheist.
The man is against changing the name of the school because it holds the name of a confederate soldier. Slavery is abolished in the US, nobody is supporting slavery now. We fought a war over it and the slaver states lost. There are no confederate heroes. To hang on to the confederacy over a slave owner is racist.
I dont know what kind of history you learn in Auckland, this US, US history.

Old 03-30-2021, 06:59 PM

OK, but what does not make sense is taking a man into servitude (which would essentially be paying for his keep) out of compassion then having a law instructing not to beat so badly that he dies within three days?

Jews and no doubt other nations could also be taken into or sold into bondage to pay their depts.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:00 PM

Thomas Jefferson, with a very large slave holding, never declared his religion. He could very well have been atheist.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:00 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,272,491 times
Quote:
You have no evidence. You are just guessing. He can be anything including atheist.
The man is against changing the name of the school because it holds the name of a confederate soldier. Slavery is abolished in the US, nobody is supporting slavery now. We fought a war over it and the slaver states lost. There are no confederate heroes. To hang on to the confederacy over a slave owner is racist.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
OK, but what does not make sense is taking a man into servitude (which would essentially be paying for his keep) out of compassion then having a law instructing not to beat so badly that he dies within three days?

Jews and no doubt other nations could also be taken into or sold into bondage to pay their depts.
Off topic.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:06 PM

Quote:
No, I am not guessing. I do have evidence. He is holding a bible quoting from it in support of slavery in a southern state that has a school named after a slaver. The southern states form the bible belt and are traditionally Southern Baptist Christian. Only Christians typically carry and quote from bibles. Atheists do not carry bibles and quote from said bibles in public places. That's the evidence. It is not proof and I do not know for a fact that he is Christian. I'm only saying that is the evidence and that the odds are he is a Christian. Sure, he could be a Muslim but then you would expect him to be carrying a quran. He could be an atheist but then you not expect him to be carrying a bible and supporting slavery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality