Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2022, 01:36 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Are you speaking about all.peoples of the World prior to Jesus? And how much worse was savegery in what became Christian Europe prior to Jesus than after. I do know that findings from neolithic burials have shown people lived for decades after substainin cribbaling injuries.
Good question. No way to know about the really remote unrecorded past. But it is clear that once we began believing in God, all manner of our savagery, brutality, and evil was amplified in His name. In my opinion, that is WHY Jesus was needed, even though His example and message were corrupted to conform to the wrathful and vengeful War God of our ancestors. That failure resulted in a continuation of our savagery and brutality despite the presence of the Comforter (conscience), IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2022, 01:39 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
And one can be proud of their Italian background andvstill accept what Italians as a group did wrong, Facism in WWII for exampke.
My point was that it would be very strange to see anyone on a forum for >Italy and Italians< spending a decade putting up tens of thousands of posts busting on them for things done and written about thousands of years ago by the Romans, and demanding they acknowledge & highlight these "wrongdoings" and agree their ethnicity should now be condemned and considered bad because of it.

Old 02-12-2022, 02:05 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
My point was that it would be very strange to see anyone on a forum for >Italy and Italians< spending a decade putting up tens of thousands of posts busting on them for things done and written about thousands of years ago by the Romans, and demanding they acknowledge & highlight these "wrongdoings" and agree their ethnicity should now be condemned and considered bad because of it.
True. But i was referring to some Christians living and posting today or at least this year. Was referring to Christians claiming that slavery of Bibical times was different that modern slavery and that it was ibdentured servitude which it certainly is not.I

Not sure how you could possibily mistake my posting about current Christians with what happened in the past.

I was referring to modern day posters on City Data.

You have falsely accused me of doing things I have not done and lied about me. Hope all that makes you feel better about yourself.

Old 02-12-2022, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Good question. No way to know about the really remote unrecorded past. But it is clear that once we began believing in God, all manner of our savagery, brutality, and evil was amplified in His name. In my opinion, that is WHY Jesus was needed, even though His example and message were corrupted to conform to the wrathful and vengeful War God of our ancestors. That failure resulted in a continuation of our savagery and brutality despite the presence of the Comforter (conscience), IMO.
If we dont know why do you make such certain assertions and claims? For example if the Celts, Picts or native Americans were no more savage before Jesus than after then yoyr clain has zero validity and your conclusion has no bases.

Yes and glad you replaced your assertions with now its your opinion. Easier to digest that it was not proven facts.

Old 02-12-2022, 02:29 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
If we dont know why do you make such certain assertions and claims? For example if the Celts, Picts or native Americans were no more savage before Jesus than after then yoyr clain has zero validity and your conclusion has no bases.
I have no doubt that prior to Jesus, humanity had no conscience, per se, since I attribute that to the Comforter which we only have BECAUSE of Jesus, IMO. I could be wrong because we have no way to know for sure. I just know that WE DO have the Comforter. I also know it has nothing to do with what we believe or do not believe because I encountered it and I had no clue it existed nor any religious dogma or doctrine that I needed to believe or have faith in to tell me it existed.
Quote:
Yes and glad you replaced your assertions with now its your opinion. Easier to digest that it was not proven facts.
This is a DISCUSSION forum and the only thing any of us CAN post are our opinions. We can post what we consider authoritative sources. But I have no idea why anyone would have thought any differently. Those who DO think they are somehow posting AUTHORITATIVELY are vain and arrogant fools, IMO.

Old 02-12-2022, 02:54 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
True. But i was referring to some Christians living and posting today or at least this year. Was referring to Christians claiming that slavery of Bibical times was different that modern slavery and that it was ibdentured servitude which it certainly is not.I

Not sure how you could possibily mistake my posting about current Christians with what happened in the past.

I was referring to modern day posters on City Data.

You have falsely accused me of doing things I have not done and lied about me. Hope all that makes you feel better about yourself.
Don't forget all the people from every culture, ethnicity, nation, group, etc...that still think well of their ancestors & their affiliates currently, and don't dwell upon the fact that they are/were not perfect like everyone else but them.
It is not a "lie" for me to note that you, et al, are on a forum for Religion and Spirituality busting on Christians because ancient Theological writings relative to their Faith/Belief mentions slavery & other typical societal standards of the day...and you all are not satisfied with their level of self-flagellation over it.

Old 02-12-2022, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I have no doubt that prior to Jesus, humanity had no conscience, per se, since I attribute that to the Comforter which we only have BECAUSE of Jesus, IMO. I could be wrong because we have no way to know for sure. I just know that WE DO have the Comforter. I also know it has nothing to do with what we believe or do not believe because I encountered it and I had no clue it existed nor any religious dogma or doctrine that I needed to believe or have faith in to tell me it existed. This is a DISCUSSION forum and the only thing any of us CAN post are our opinions. We can post what we consider authoritative sources. But I have no idea why anyone would have thought any differently. Those who DO think they are somehow posting AUTHORITATIVELY are vain and arrogant fools, IMO.
Well if you are posting your opinions perhaps you should restrain from mocking, insulting and labelling those who disagree with your opinions? When you do so you inhibit discussion and dialigue. And i do not mean just with non believers but with Christians as well.

You do not know that Jesus is the Conforter. You had some sort of experience and your opinion is that it was with Jesus. If you grew up in the Western World you could not help but of heard of him.

You have no evidence that humanity had no conceicious before Jesus. Just your opinion that seems to require no evidence that it is true. Nor is it supported by either logic nor science plus seens to go against the teachings of most religions.

You do not know if peoples were moresavage two thousand years ago. And it seems like you do not even care if you are even close to beng correct. You seem to make up a claim just to back up your assertion. Thats my opinion.

Old 02-12-2022, 03:12 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,708,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Don't mind me, I'm just here observing all these woke Westerners self-righteously condemning slavery with their apple and Samsung products while wearing Nikes...
Wherein Mike uses woke as a pejorative in the context of opposition to slavery.

Most of the world is woke to the notion that slavery is an unmitigated evil. But I guess not everyone...

Side note:
Everyone is woke to this or that, which rather neuters woke as inherently bad. But since that would require pondering the concept for at least a few seconds, I suppose that's eluded the masses who think of woke that way.

Old 02-12-2022, 03:40 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
I have no doubt that prior to Jesus, humanity had no conscience, per se, since I attribute that to the Comforter which we only have BECAUSE of Jesus, IMO. I could be wrong because we have no way to know for sure. I just know that WE DO have the Comforter. I also know it has nothing to do with what we believe or do not believe because I encountered it and I had no clue it existed nor any religious dogma or doctrine that I needed to believe or have faith in to tell me it existed. This is a DISCUSSION forum and the only thing any of us CAN post are our opinions. We can post what we consider authoritative sources. But I have no idea why anyone would have thought any differently. Those who DO think they are somehow posting AUTHORITATIVELY are vain and arrogant fools, IMO.
Oh really. Other cultures had no conscience?
You ought to be embarrassed by that post.

Old 02-12-2022, 03:41 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Wherein Mike uses woke as a pejorative in the context of opposition to slavery.

Most of the world is woke to the notion that slavery is an unmitigated evil. But I guess not everyone...

Side note:
Everyone is woke to this or that, which rather neuters woke as inherently bad. But since that would require pondering the concept for at least a few seconds, I suppose that's eluded the masses who think of woke that way.
I'm not sure he knows the definition of woke: "alert to injustice in society, especially racism".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality