Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2022, 09:48 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
The CDS in here is amazing. You folks are obsessed.
Apparently not. This was an interesting comment from the article in the OP.

"While many Christians view proselytizing as offering the gift of Jesus to the non-Christians, some non-believers and people of other faiths may view this as an imposition, manipulation, or oppression."

Have you ever considered that proselytizing might be viewed as as an imposition, manipulation, or oppression?

Old 09-28-2022, 09:49 AM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
The CDS in here is amazing. You folks are obsessed.
I know far too many christians who are obsessed for your post to have much meaning.

But thank you for demonstrating christian privilege.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2022, 09:56 AM

15,968 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post

"While many Christians view proselytizing as offering the gift of Jesus to the non-Christians, some non-believers and people of other faiths may view this as an imposition, manipulation, or oppression."

Have you ever considered that proselytizing might be viewed as as an imposition, manipulation, or oppression?
Sure. Like this thread.

Old 09-28-2022, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Sure. Like this thread.
If you think a thread about christian privilege in a forum about religion and spirituality is proselytization, then...

...every thread in this forum is proselytization

...every church with an electronic sign out front (and in my community that's almost every one of them) is proselytization.

...every church that posts an ad in the local newspaper (and in my community that's almost every one of them) is proselytization.

...every person who says "God bless you" after someone sneezes is proselytization.

...and most of all, every post you've ever posted here is proselytization.

Old 09-28-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
If you think a thread about christian privilege in a forum about religion and spirituality is proselytization, then...

...every thread in this forum is proselytization

...every church with an electronic sign out front (and in my community that's almost every one of them) is proselytization.

...every church that posts an ad in the local newspaper (and in my community that's almost every one of them) is proselytization.

...every person who says "God bless you" after someone sneezes is proselytization.

...and most of all, every post you've ever posted here is proselytization.

Perhaps.

Old 09-28-2022, 11:21 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post

No. I can't force you to believe anything. If you don't like what I have to say, you can just ignore it, or reject the message. Our message is no more imposing, manipulating, or oppressing than the huge amount of anti-Christian voices out there spouting nonsense to the opposite view.

But we aren't starting threads attacking you and others for it.

Old 09-28-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Could you point to some specific posts that are Islamophobic?
I do not plan to spend my time digging up posts for you. But here is an examination of how Atheists have become the mouthpiece for the ill-informed hatemongers that populate Fox news and the like and have cause harm for Muslim families and their children. That same arguments are repeated mindlessly innumerable times in these forums. GoldnRule was one lone voice that pointed out and called out their misinformation. I will grant those posts are from other posters as well, who have equally bought into that hate.

Quote:
Quote:
New atheists can demonize Islam all they want, illuminating it as the most ā€˜dangerousā€™ of religions. But perhaps they should think twice as to whether theyā€™re acting as intellectual mouthpieces for irrational government policy and public dislike of Muslims or breaking new ground with their ā€˜politically incorrectā€™ critiques. Perhaps they should realize thereā€™s a stark difference between political correctness and being racist, anti-Islam advocates. And, too, their ā€˜courageā€™ should be called into question: this isnā€™t the age of Galileo, where atheistsā€™ lives are endangered in the West. On the contrary, they have increased their celebrity status following spouting their anti-Muslim perspectives on CNN or Fox News. Their views are celebrated because they offer false verification of the rabbleā€™s anti-Muslim racism and xenophobia.
https://dissidentvoice.org/2018/02/n...sts-and-islam/

To the moderators: This is in response to this post addressing the danger to Muslims due to "Christian Privilage". The hate and harm caused to muslims by Atheists has been far worse .

Quote:
Which contained this :
Quote:
2. You Can Wear Symbols of Your Religion Without Being Stereotyped as Dangerous

I can wear a cross around my neck without expecting anyone to bat an eye at it.
But for people like Muslims and Sikhs, wearing symbols of their faith comes with the risk of harassment and abuse.
After tragedies like 9/11 and the Paris terrorist attacks, Islamophobic violence rises. Muslims (and Sikhs erroneously identified as Muslims) have had law enforcement called on them, been verbally attacked, physically assaulted, and even killed just for wearing a head covering in public.

Last edited by mensaguy; 09-28-2022 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: Fixing quotes

Old 09-28-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
No. I can't force you to believe anything. If you don't like what I have to say, you can just ignore it, or reject the message. Our message is no more imposing, manipulating, or oppressing than the huge amount of anti-Christian voices out there spouting nonsense to the opposite view.

But we aren't starting threads attacking you and others for it.
Except for one thing...it makes a HUGE difference when you are in the majority versus in the minority.

You may be too America-centered. I've heard plenty of christian voices from around the world complaining about Muslim privilege in some countries, Buddhist privilege in some countries, etc. But I guess those christians should just shut up, too?

Perhaps you should read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persec...nited%20States

Old 09-28-2022, 01:17 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I do not plan to spend my time digging up posts for you. But here is an examination of how Atheists have become the mouthpiece for the ill-informed hatemongers that populate Fox news and the like and have cause harm for Muslim families and their children. That same arguments are repeated mindlessly innumerable times in these forums. GoldnRule was one lone voice that pointed out and called out their misinformation. I will grant those posts are from other posters as well, who have equally bought into that hate.

Quote:
https://dissidentvoice.org/2018/02/n...sts-and-islam/

To the moderators: This is in response to this post addressing the danger to Muslims due to "Christian Privilage". The hate and harm caused to muslims by Atheists has been far worse .

Which contained this :
Atheists have ben far worse is simply your opinion. And we all know your opinion of atheists and atheism. And of course saying Islam is a bad religion is far worse than killing and bombing Muslims.

And 13 Muslim countries have the death penalty for atheists if you want a fuller picture. Your heart must warm on reading that. I have read worse comments from Christians about Muslims than those by atheists on the link you provided.

So there is no Christian privelege in the States because an atheist in the UK said something negative about Islam? Or just another chance to sneak in an attack on atheists in an unrelated thread?

Last edited by mensaguy; 09-28-2022 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: Fixing quotes

Old 09-28-2022, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post

Atheists have ben far worse is simply your opinion. And we all know your opinion of atheists and atheism. And of course saying Islam is a bad religion is far worse than killing and bombing Muslims.

And 13 Muslim countries have the death penalty for atheists if you want a fuller picture. Your heart must warm on reading that. I have read worse comments from Christians about Muslims than those by atheists on the link you provided.

So there is no Christian privelege in the States because an atheist in the UK said something negative about Islam? Or just another chance to sneak in an attack on atheists in an unrelated thread?
I must really be screwed up. I'm a an atheist and a liberal who watches MSNBC. I have an adopted son who is Muslim and lives in Pakistan.

Last edited by mensaguy; 09-28-2022 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: Fixing quotes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality