Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 03:42 AM

896 posts, read 1,864,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I believe He will judge everyone different, according to how much knowledge they have about Him, how many times they have heard the truth (according to the Bible).
And what about people of those cultures who have never heard of or even seen a bible, let alone have any knowledge of the god mentioned in it?

Quote:
You're right, it has nothing to do with culture.
Read my response above and see if you really believe that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 07:01 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
The Bible seems to be very clear on this matter and it says that you must accept Christ.
Acts 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

This is God's requirement for each one. The term "accept Christ", though we all know what it means, is actually not completely the right term, and it could be that in many cases in our land today, people "accept Christ" but do not repent... in which case there is no salvation. As we repent, we are accepting Christ's sacrifice. We don't need to have a complete knowledge of Christ to do this.

God touches each heart with a feeling of neediness, and I believe that He has instilled in each one His moral way. No matter what culture or religion you grow up in, there will come a time that there is a realization that you have done wrong, and I believe He has also placed in each heart a knowledge of a Higher Power. Some try to subdue it or deny it, but it's there. And when you combine these two thoughts, and give in to the Higher Power, repenting, you have taken the step God wanted you to take. There may be a long journey ahead, but it's the first step.

What I was describing above is the work of the Holy Spirit. I'm not just making up a far-fetched story, either.. this is how I have seen it/heard of it working in people's lives who do not have a full knowledge of the gospel... and I also know of the very real Holy Spirit's power and presence in my own life.

Quote:
It's completely unrealistic to think that someone in a culture like Pakistan is going to respond to God's call and become a Christian.
Humanly thinking, true.. but you are not factoring in the Holy Spirit. As a person repents, he realizes that what he has been brought up to believe, the culture he was raised in, is not giving him what he needs.. it has not led him to what he has found! And so, by continuing to follow the Holy Spirit, he will realize he needs to go against everything he has been taught.. perhaps abandon his family ties and face persecution. This is happening in many lands today.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:39 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'd have to guess The Netherlands.
You're kidding, right? The center of secular humanism for apostate Europe?!

Old 08-01-2008, 09:44 AM

"It's completely unrealistic to think that someone in a culture like Pakistan is going to respond to God's call and become a Christian."

Actually, increasing conversions to Christianity are one of the greatest concerns in the Moslem world. The land occupied by present day Pakistan was Zoroastrian, Christian, Jewish and Bhuddhist long before the Moslem martial conquest. Why could it not change yet again? There is a sizeable Christian minority in Pakistan already.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:34 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider View Post
And what about people of those cultures who have never heard of or even seen a bible, let alone have any knowledge of the god mentioned in it?

Read my response above and see if you really believe that.
Yes I really believe what I said. Romans 1:19 "For the truth about God is know them instinctively, God has put this knowledge in their hearts".
I believe this is true for EVERYONE, no matter where they are born.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:12 AM

Doesn't Paul say that those who don't hear the Gospel will be judged by their conscience?

Old 08-01-2008, 03:31 PM

896 posts, read 1,864,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Yes I really believe what I said. Romans 1:19 "For the truth about God is know them instinctively, God has put this knowledge in their hearts".
I believe this is true for EVERYONE, no matter where they are born.
Then with respect I must tell you that you don't know or understand cultures other than your own.

I have been to countries where people never heard of a bible.

Sure people have a spirituality, but some of those I speak of above have a type that doesn't even come close to the god of your bible.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:40 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
Thanks for your input ILNC and cg81 but let me ask this from another perspective. Do you believe that a muslim who is deeply religious in his or her own faith and has no interest in Christianity or Jesus can go to heaven?

Old 08-01-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Thanks for your input ILNC and cg81 but let me ask this from another perspective. Do you believe that a muslim who is deeply religious in his or her own faith and has no interest in Christianity or Jesus can go to heaven?
No I do not believe they can, based on what I believe about the Bible.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider View Post
Then with respect I must tell you that you don't know or understand cultures other than your own.

I have been to countries where people never heard of a bible.

Sure people have a spirituality, but some of those I speak of above have a type that doesn't even come close to the god of your bible.
Please read my post again and read Romans 1:19-20. No one can stand before God and say I didn't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality