Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 04:08 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times

Advertisements

I realize that those who believe in souls don't believe they will be bringing their passport to the Pearly Gates but nevertheless any soul would have come from an individual who in their earthly life lived in a particular nation or if they had lived in an era before mankind organized into nations they would have at least lived in a part of the world that we would recognize today. Also, do you think there's any particular point in history in which there would be a greater number of people whose souls are going to heaven. The reason I'm asking that question is because society is becoming less religious in many parts of the world such as Europe.
I'm asking this question based on the Christian religion. If heaven is only for those who have accepted Christ as their savior then that rules out virtually the total population of a great many nations while it would strongly favor a nation like America as well as regions like Latin America, Europe, Australia and a few other places. I realize that no one believes that there is any nationality in heaven but with a population of over 300 million people in a very Christian nation do you think that America's contribution of souls bound for heaven might be more than any other nation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 04:32 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,860 times
Do you want answers from Christians only, or any religion is welcome to join in?

Old 07-29-2008, 04:40 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
I'd have to guess The Netherlands.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:42 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
we're all going to the same place because we are all children of god
the "personalities" (and nationalities, and religions) we wore here on earth we shed like old clothes that no longer fit

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-29-2008 at 05:19 PM..

Old 07-29-2008, 05:01 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
Of course any opinions are welcome, I've just always had a problem with the fact that many religions believe that they are the chosen people and the rest of the world who thinks differently are going to suffer the consequences. I have a hard time grasping the concept that someone who happened to grow up in someplace like Iraq for example is going to hell because of the accident of the location of their birth. Would Jesus have sent a young man in Pakistan or China to hell just because they didn't have any knowledge of who he was or said he was?

Old 07-29-2008, 08:00 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I realize that those who believe in souls don't believe they will be bringing their passport to the Pearly Gates but nevertheless any soul would have come from an individual who in their earthly life lived in a particular nation or if they had lived in an era before mankind organized into nations they would have at least lived in a part of the world that we would recognize today. Also, do you think there's any particular point in history in which there would be a greater number of people whose souls are going to heaven. The reason I'm asking that question is because society is becoming less religious in many parts of the world such as Europe.
I'm asking this question based on the Christian religion. If heaven is only for those who have accepted Christ as their savior then that rules out virtually the total population of a great many nations while it would strongly favor a nation like America as well as regions like Latin America, Europe, Australia and a few other places. I realize that no one believes that there is any nationality in heaven but with a population of over 300 million people in a very Christian nation do you think that America's contribution of souls bound for heaven might be more than any other nation?
Actually, I find it more constricting than that. You see, a great number of people feel that Catholics aren't "true" Christians because they don't think they have asked Jesus into their hearts (or that they are compelled to with the Catholic religion). So, that rules out most of Latin America, large parts of Europe, and a lot of Australia. Interestingly enough, that leaves not that many people in heaven...

Of course, if someone is in Iraq and a Christian missionary hands him a Bible then that is his "chance" and if he refuses to read it or ignores it when he does read it then he eviscerates in hell. It's a very fair process especially when compared to someone like you or I who have been immersed in it our entire lives and don't believe. We apparently will go to hell just like the Iraqi who didn't believe even though he was brought up with a completely different concept, religion, and immersion of culture.

Of course, those who are uninformed will go to heaven because they were uninformed which is the necessary reason why people want to travel to different countries and teach the word. It would make more sense to me that if they were uninformed it's best to keep them that way so they don't have a chance at screwing it up and going to hell...

Old 07-29-2008, 08:13 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Of course any opinions are welcome, I've just always had a problem with the fact that many religions believe that they are the chosen people and the rest of the world who thinks differently are going to suffer the consequences. I have a hard time grasping the concept that someone who happened to grow up in someplace like Iraq for example is going to hell because of the accident of the location of their birth. Would Jesus have sent a young man in Pakistan or China to hell just because they didn't have any knowledge of who he was or said he was?
My dear friend, haven't you learned anything in reading all those threads about the little African boy who never heard about Jesus We don't believe Jesus sends people to hell, they send themselves by the choice they make. I could quote you scripture that I base my belief on that everyone is born with an inner sense of what God requires.
As far as what Nation will have the most people in Heaven, don't know.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:28 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,576,027 times
Quote:
Iraq is where he Ancient city of Babylon once stood and that definitely was in Biblical times ,that is where the the Tigris and Euphrates River run through the city of what is now Baghdad

Old 07-29-2008, 10:26 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,860 times
Quote:
Hinduism accepts that all religions talk about the one God. It does not have concepts like the god of the Egyptians and the god of the Jews, which basically implies that there are many gods. Hinduism says that the god of the Hindus, Egyptians, Jews, Christians, Muslims, Zorastrians, Aztecs, Mayans, Maoris, etc are all the same God. Hinduism says that all are worshipping the same God in different ways. Again, one way is not better than the other way. All ways to worship God are accepted by God if performed with faith and devotion.

There is no hell in Hinduism, or a concept of eternal punishment, Hinduism is a religion based on spiritual principles, it is sort of a meta religion, It helps you to fix your religious goal, choose any religion of your choice and encourages you to follow the religion with all sincerity. Understand the aim of religion. Weigh the pros and cons of various ways of worship available in the world. Choose one of your liking and follow it with full zeal.

Hinduism is an evolutionary religion, that believes in reincarnation and karma, there is no hell or heaven on it, the ultimate aim is Moksha - freedom from limitations by God realization. this is a process that happens naturally within the course of many lives, just as the apple falls from the tree when the time is ripe, although this process can be by following certain spiritual principles, that are known as Yoga.

Hinduism says that one has to reap what he sows - good or bad. If a person makes mistakes, he will have to face the consequences. If a person does good, he will enjoy its fruits. Hinduism opens the door fully for a person to form his own life and future. No one is eternally glorified or eternally doomed. It accepts that people make mistakes whose logical effects have to be faced, its lessons need to be learnt, and life has to continue with more knowledge and understanding.

Last edited by Travelling fella; 07-29-2008 at 10:38 PM..

Old 07-30-2008, 07:36 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,025 times
Let them all have their heaven if they want it. I'll be at the bar in the "Houseboat on the River Styx."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality