Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2007, 04:43 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times

Advertisements

I had a talk with my pastor the other day. We discussed this very issue. He reminded me that Christians were always under attack dating back to the Romans. The only real difference today is that in free countries they don't fear execution (Thank God!).

He also had a simple analogy regarding beliefs and life. We are all put on earth to care for our "own acre." If everyone takes care with their "own acre" then all the acres together will be well cared for as well.

I know it sounds simple but caring for one's "own acre" is a great responsibility. I personally found this simple advice enlightening and purposeful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 05:37 AM

702 posts, read 2,525,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I had a talk with my pastor the other day. We discussed this very issue. He reminded me that Christians were always under attack dating back to the Romans. The only real difference today is that in free countries they don't fear execution (Thank God!).

He also had a simple analogy regarding beliefs and life. We are all put on earth to care for our "own acre." If everyone takes care with their "own acre" then all the acres together will be well cared for as well.

I know it sounds simple but caring for one's "own acre" is a great responsibility. I personally found this simple advice enlightening and purposeful.
I like it...this is a nice way of approaching the subject...it sounds like 'live and let live'. If more Christians really followed this advice then this "slamming" Christians would hardly be an issue. But too many of them will not simply take care of their own acre, but they want to make sure everyone around them grows the 'right' kind of plants and in the same size and shape as their own. This is when it becomes a problem...and people get tired of being told what they should and shouldn't do; being condemned for their actions by Christians who act the same way but deny doing it. The hypocritical Christian has been a common occurrence in my experiences. I But thank you for your rational and thoughtful approach, and for the good advice.

Old 02-26-2007, 04:30 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,189,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Sorry!! Okay, I'll try to get it back on-topic... I don't think it's okay to slam anyone, regardless of their religion or non-religion. But I do think "diversity" is a good thing too, wildberries, and it is possible for different cultures to get along.
This is only as long as one culture doesn't despise the other and not coming to change the way of the land!!!

Old 02-26-2007, 04:31 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,367,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
This is only as long as one culture doesn't despise the other and not coming to change the way of the land!!!
As one indian said to the pilgrim.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
As one indian said to the pilgrim.
Yeah!! Well, at some point you need to get over it and move on. They own some fine land here in Idaho,Washington and Montana. My family is Cherokee Indian and we are not claiming revenge on the white man or do we have government land benefits given to us. My family is not thinking in the past we have just moved on and made positive out of negative and if others would stop bringing in the white man brutally and thinking that others didn't do the same for survival we will never get past something that can't be changed.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:39 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
Yeah!! Well, at some point you need to get over it and move on. They own some fine land here in Idaho,Washington and Montana. My family is Cherokee Indian and we are not claiming revenge on the white man or do we have government land benefits given to us. My family is not thinking in the past we have just moved on and made positive out of negative and if others would stop bringing in the white man brutally and thinking that others didn't do the same for survival we will never get past something that can't be changed.
Amen Brother!!! Preach On It!!!

Old 02-27-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah!! Well, at some point you need to get over it and move on.
I wont argue with you, I’ll let you argue with you.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
I wont argue with you, I’ll let you argue with you.
I'm talking about America now we don't need to keep adding more and more religions and cultures to America. This is changing Americans and causing a lot of conflict. We have to get over the blacks being brought here, land taken from the Indians this has been hashed over and over and we must move on. But, to just keep adding to the pot with all the differences is a plan for disaster. We can't keep trying to mix cultures that don't want to be American.
So, were do you think your A** would be if your ancestors never came here and fought for land. You seem to always look at the negative of everything why don't you try to bring positive debate instead of your dark cloud . .
I just look at moving on and taking care of the Blacks and Native Americans not adding more hardship to an already poor culture. Unlike most who want to keep giving to more poor people pouring into our country. If you feel so sorry for the Indians you should protest the invasion of the poor coming and vote to give the money and benefits they would get to the Blacks and Native Americans.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:17 PM

Quote:
You seem to always look at the negative of everything why don't you try to bring positive debate instead of your dark cloud . .
You're the one who keeps making it a negative debate with the "my rights are being violated" rant. We've never been a homogenized society of beliefs or cultures. It's been mixing since the first European settlers. That's a point you need to understand. Take a cue from your own words:

Quote:
Yeah!! Well, at some point you need to get over it and move on..

Old 02-28-2007, 09:28 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I have problems with both of these thoughts.

First of all, Ted H. One does not choose to be a homosexual. One either is a homosexual or one is not. It's a bit like trying chocolate ice cream and finding out you like it. You can take the chocolate ice cream away, but that doesn't mean you don't like chocolate ice cream any less. You still like chocolate ice cream -- you just don't have access to it anymore. The mere fact that Ted H. had sexual relations with men shows that he is a homosexual. You can remove the men from him, but that doesn't mean he is not a homosexual. (I hope this makes sense.) Three weeks of counseling won't make Ted H. a heterosexual because he was never one to begin with. He DESIRES men!

Secondly, George Bush may proclaim himself a Christian -- but you realize that he is profiting in $$$$ from these wars? Right? He's making money off all this and Dick Cheney is making thousands of times more money than GWB is! Dick Cheney is REALLY REALLY RICH due to the Iraq war. You know that, right? I doubt they have shed one tear over any soldier who has died in these wars. You also realize that DICK CHENEY OWNS STOCK IN A COMPANY THAT IS DOING BUSINESS WITH IRAN RIGHT NOW -- RIGHT??!! I'm screaming that so you can be sure to notice it! Halliburton has an offshore company that is selling millions of dollars worth of equipment to IRAN!! IF WE START A WAR WITH IRAN, DICK CHENEY GETS EVEN RICHER!!!!!!

Is it a Christian thing to profit off wars? That's a question you should ask yourself. Is it something God would do? Or is it something Satan would do? You can decide for yourself.

Michael Moore and the Clintons own stock in Haliburton too! What's your point? It's a Muslim thing to start wars, it's part of their belief. They have declared the war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality