Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2007, 09:18 AM

355 posts, read 842,647 times

Advertisements

Talk about a ROAD TRIP. That would've taken forever and a day to travel by foot from Israel to India.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 09:38 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,441,758 times
Which is why one would sail to Alexandria, cross the Isthmus and sail from Port Said to India. Remember that in the Post Alexander Hellenic world, commerce between the near east and the far east was extensive.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:10 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,189,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
It might help to educate yourself on Buddhists and Buddhism before you make outlandish statements about them, no?

The Noble Eightfold Path of Buddhism:
1) Right speech- One speaks in a non hurtful, not exaggerated, truthful way
2) Right Actions - Wholesome action, avoiding action that would do harm
3) Right Livelihood - One's way of livelihood does not harm in any way oneself or others; directly or indirectly
4) Right Effort/Exercise - One makes an effort to improve
5) Right Mindfulness/Awareness - Mental ability to see things for what they are with clear consciousness
6) Right Concentration - Being aware of the present reality within oneself, without any craving or aversion.
7) Right Thoughts - Change in the pattern of thinking.
8) Right Understanding - Understanding reality as it is, not just as it appears to be.

The majority of Buddhists accept the Buddha as their teacher; the majority accept middle way, dependent origination (cause/effect), four noble truths, and noble eightfold path as guides; the majority accept three Buddha, Buddhahood, and nirvana (the ultimate goal).

While this is truly skimming the surface of the tenets of Buddhism, how do these points of guidance conflict with Christianity? And no, they don't worship false idols.
Who's Budda exactly we can start there? Was he a real man?

Old 02-20-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I am by no means an expert on Buddhism, but I remember 10 years or so ago when the Pope met with the Dalai Lhama. They had what was described as a great meeting and both had very nice things to say about one another and each other's faiths, but in the end, both agreed that Buddhism and Christianity are not saying the same thing. Both faiths agree on many points, but ultimately their outlook and aim are completely different.

Again, I'm no expert on Buddhism. But I think the Dalai Lhama probably is.
I saw an interview with him and when asked "if he knew who Jesus was"? he said"he had heard about him but, had not studied him, knew he was a good man". How do you believe in someone you don't know about?

Old 02-20-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Was that a statement, a question, or a request?? And no, I'm incapable of giving "simple" answers, as I'm not a simple person... LOL.
This is probably why we don't agree on anything yet!! I "m a Simple Country Girl . You seem to be a Complicated,City Chick !!!

Old 02-20-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
Talk about a ROAD TRIP. That would've taken forever and a day to travel by foot from Israel to India.
I was thinking the same thing!! Talk about sore feet!!

Old 02-20-2007, 02:34 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,441,758 times
Wildberries, Alexander took an entire Greek army to India, conquering the Persians, the Afghanis and the Indians along the way, Apparently the distance was not that big of a deal.

Prince Siddartha, a prince in a small hindhu nation in india.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:56 PM

[quote=gizmo980;383922]Don't worry... we are capable of caring for ourselves, considering what we've survived in the last 5000+ years (often suffering at the hands of Christians, I have to mention). That doesn't mean I won't appreciate your support, but you make it sound like we should bow down & kiss your feet - which is the attitude you've given me, and the reason I get defensive. Btw, I don't "butt in" on any Christian threads, and really have only contributed to a few... I'd think you would appreciate a different point-of-view, especially when the topic is more about general religion. But if you all want to keep them as Christian-only threads, I'd be happy to stay out.
Quote:
Know I don't think you should bow!! I am just realizing from quotes that your Christian friends think different then, the way I do. You first off always appoarched me with "Christians like You" and I became defensive and then, you saying you don't believe the Bible and now I get the impression that you have never read it so how do you know you don't believe. So, it's a little strong for you to say "Christians like this, Christians like that" when I don't think you realize there are different kinds of Christians. Some walk the walk and talk the talk and if they are not then, the Bible is just and empty book of knowledge to them because they probably have never read it. So, if I come off strong when supporting my Christian rights it's because it's all about Jesus.
You have referred to supporting Jesus what ever that means to a Christian that is offensive and you found it just fine to speak that way so don't feel like a wounded puppy. Is this how you talk around your Christian friends? You act like only Jews and other religions get offend and Christians should just take the hit. You say we have never felt the back lash well you are mistaking. The girl in Columbine High School in Colorado took a bullet to the head because, she told her killer she believed in Jesus and he knew her around school as a Christian.
I don't care if you say things on the Christian thread it just would be nice that you give the same respect that you ask of others that don't know your culture or religion.
Why do you keep bringing up Israel? This isn't a middle-eastern thread, we're discussing Christianity & other religions in the U.S.! I know it's hard to separate Jews and Israel, but we aren't one and the same... so those comments don't really apply to this issue.
Quote:
When it comes to Christianty it's all about Isreal and the Mount of Olives. Suprising you don't even know the strong connection that Christians have to Isreal. Maybe, this thread should have been why Christians feel they get slammed for supporting Isreal.
Quote:
I guess if those people don't all worship Jesus, it's a negative ingredient in the mixture, huh??
Well, I guess this is all that can be said!!

Old 02-20-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Oh, give me a break... lots of people besides Christians are supportive of Israel. And my "so-called Christian" friends would support humanity, regardless of the country or religious beliefs of their people.
Yeah, the Middle East is full of supporters for Israel. Do you really think this religion stuff is all about being a good person. America supports Israel and that is about it and once we get a President in the White House that doesn't your people are in trouble in the middle east. Did you learn nothing about the Holocaust. If you think it could never happen again watch out what religions you tear down and the ones you bring up!!!

Old 02-20-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Has anyone seen the movie "Jesus Camp"?
Ted Haggard is in the movie, but the focus of this documentary (nominated for an Oscar) is the camp where kids are learning to "take back America for Christ."

----http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_Camp----
Satan always like to see the Christian fall and many like to stand around and watch the show!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality