Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2007, 09:23 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,191,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
How much do you know about Buddhism? Did you know you can be a Christian AND a Buddhist because the two DON'T conflict?
Maybe, not conflict but, the beliefs are not the same and not accepted as Christians beliefs. Do Buddhist believe in Jesus as the Son of God? I believe they worship false idols is this not true? You can call yourself whatever you want people do these days. But, a Christian is a follower of Jesus no other period!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 10:42 PM

355 posts, read 843,123 times
It might help to educate yourself on Buddhists and Buddhism before you make outlandish statements about them, no?

The Noble Eightfold Path of Buddhism:
1) Right speech- One speaks in a non hurtful, not exaggerated, truthful way
2) Right Actions - Wholesome action, avoiding action that would do harm
3) Right Livelihood - One's way of livelihood does not harm in any way oneself or others; directly or indirectly
4) Right Effort/Exercise - One makes an effort to improve
5) Right Mindfulness/Awareness - Mental ability to see things for what they are with clear consciousness
6) Right Concentration - Being aware of the present reality within oneself, without any craving or aversion.
7) Right Thoughts - Change in the pattern of thinking.
8) Right Understanding - Understanding reality as it is, not just as it appears to be.

The majority of Buddhists accept the Buddha as their teacher; the majority accept middle way, dependent origination (cause/effect), four noble truths, and noble eightfold path as guides; the majority accept three Buddha, Buddhahood, and nirvana (the ultimate goal).

While this is truly skimming the surface of the tenets of Buddhism, how do these points of guidance conflict with Christianity? And no, they don't worship false idols.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:20 PM

22,940 posts, read 28,327,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Did you know you can be a Christian AND a Buddhist because the two DON'T conflict?
I am by no means an expert on Buddhism, but I remember 10 years or so ago when the Pope met with the Dalai Lhama. They had what was described as a great meeting and both had very nice things to say about one another and each other's faiths, but in the end, both agreed that Buddhism and Christianity are not saying the same thing. Both faiths agree on many points, but ultimately their outlook and aim are completely different.

Again, I'm no expert on Buddhism. But I think the Dalai Lhama probably is.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:51 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,188,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I am by no means an expert on Buddhism, but I remember 10 years or so ago when the Pope met with the Dalai Lhama. They had what was described as a great meeting and both had very nice things to say about one another and each other's faiths, but in the end, both agreed that Buddhism and Christianity are not saying the same thing. Both faiths agree on many points, but ultimately their outlook and aim are completely different.

Again, I'm no expert on Buddhism. But I think the Dalai Lhama probably is.
Ha! No, the two faiths are not the same but they are compatible. There are some Buddhist Catholic groups and some Buddhist Christian groups out there. I've never gone to any of their meetings so I'm not sure how they tackle both faiths but somehow they do.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:02 AM

30,400 posts, read 52,011,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
It might help to educate yourself on Buddhists and Buddhism before you make outlandish statements about them, no?

The Noble Eightfold Path of Buddhism:
1) Right speech- One speaks in a non hurtful, not exaggerated, truthful way
2) Right Actions - Wholesome action, avoiding action that would do harm
3) Right Livelihood - One's way of livelihood does not harm in any way oneself or others; directly or indirectly
4) Right Effort/Exercise - One makes an effort to improve
5) Right Mindfulness/Awareness - Mental ability to see things for what they are with clear consciousness
6) Right Concentration - Being aware of the present reality within oneself, without any craving or aversion.
7) Right Thoughts - Change in the pattern of thinking.
8) Right Understanding - Understanding reality as it is, not just as it appears to be.

The majority of Buddhists accept the Buddha as their teacher; the majority accept middle way, dependent origination (cause/effect), four noble truths, and noble eightfold path as guides; the majority accept three Buddha, Buddhahood, and nirvana (the ultimate goal).

While this is truly skimming the surface of the tenets of Buddhism, how do these points of guidance conflict with Christianity? And no, they don't worship false idols.
It's weird - the subject of Buddhism has come up a few times recently, both on these forums & in "real life". The other day I was in a motel room (in San Diego) hanging out with my brother, and looking through the nightstand drawer... they had a Gideon's Bible, another Christian Bible (don't remember what kind), and a Buddhist one. I opened the Gideon's to a random page, and didn't understand or really agree with the passage I read; then I flipped through the Buddhist one, and immediately found some very cool writings, which I read aloud to my brother. I've said this before, but it confirmed that if I weren't a Jew, I'd totally consider converting to Buddhism! Nothing against Christianity, but I just think Eastern Philosophies are more my "style", and relevant to how I live my life.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
You couldn't give a simple answer!!!
Was that a statement, a question, or a request?? And no, I'm incapable of giving "simple" answers, as I'm not a simple person... LOL.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:33 AM

Quote:
At least when I'm talking about being a Christian it is supporting my beliefs to come in on a conversation and slam the person for saying or using Jesus name is another and you are not even educated on Christianity so it's awkward. The reason I said You always mention being a Jewish person is you come on to the Christian thread and usually say something negative about Christians and are uneducated to what the Christians are willing to do for the Jewish people.
Don't worry... we are capable of caring for ourselves, considering what we've survived in the last 5000+ years (often suffering at the hands of Christians, I have to mention). That doesn't mean I won't appreciate your support, but you make it sound like we should bow down & kiss your feet - which is the attitude you've given me, and the reason I get defensive. Btw, I don't "butt in" on any Christian threads, and really have only contributed to a few... I'd think you would appreciate a different point-of-view, especially when the topic is more about general religion. But if you all want to keep them as Christian-only threads, I'd be happy to stay out.

Quote:
U.S was a very religious based Country until all other religions have come in and mixed it up. Did you know most of these other religions don't even care what happens to Israel probably NOT!!!!!!!
Why do you keep bringing up Israel? This isn't a middle-eastern thread, we're discussing Christianity & other religions in the U.S.! I know it's hard to separate Jews and Israel, but we aren't one and the same... so those comments don't really apply to this issue.

Anyway, you kind of contradicted yourself in the statement - "US was a very religious based country until other religions mixed it up". Don't you mean it was a Christian-based country? I know you've had some confusion with that in the past, thinking Christianity is synonymous with religion... but if people of other beliefs "mixed it up", we could argue that it's only made religion stronger in this country. I guess if those people don't all worship Jesus, it's a negative ingredient in the mixture, huh?? Well, I personally think it's made our country more interesting, vibrant, enlightened, welcoming, and so forth. But the bottom line is really that our government is NOT based in religion, and therefore our country is not technically a religious one...

Last edited by gizmo980; 02-20-2007 at 03:44 AM..

Old 02-20-2007, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Israel would be wiped out if it wasn't for the U.S. and the Extreme Christians as you see them. The people you talk of non-serious Christians don't care if we protect Israel and Christian religion and Israel have a lot to do with the discussion. The non-god believing and I will believe what I want of God are not the ones who will stand firm and strong in support of Israel and the extreme Christians will. You should be thankful that our religion is strong and that we will help Israel as long as we can to protect them from being wiped off the map. So, if you deny Jesus this will put a tighter hold on what we can do to save Isreal but, who knows maybe your so called Christian friends and Atheist/Agnostic will have some miracle bright light shine forward to help save Isreal but, I doubt it.
When blowing off Jesus Jews need to know who will be helping them in the time of war and it won't be the non-believers!!!!
Oh, give me a break... lots of people besides Christians are supportive of Israel. And my "so-called Christian" friends would support humanity, regardless of the country or religious beliefs of their people.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:38 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,056,547 times
Has anyone seen the movie "Jesus Camp"?
Ted Haggard is in the movie, but the focus of this documentary (nominated for an Oscar) is the camp where kids are learning to "take back America for Christ."

----http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_Camp----

Old 02-20-2007, 07:39 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,445,913 times
Buddha never claimed to be god, son of god or anything but a man, he laid out a way to be happy in this world. Buddhism is a philosophy not a religion.

There is data to suggest that Jesus spent part of the years from age 12 to 29 in India in a Buddhist Monastery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality