Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2007, 01:09 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,134,199 times

Advertisements

Nonetheless, many Christians do not follow the bible word-for-word, and there are many revisionist concepts that are permitted. And, permitting the flock to include homosexuals is one of several 20th century changes.

It appears as if, by the recent forum poll, and the discourse here in the forum, most, not all, of the Christians that speak to this and other issues are born-again and quite strict in their bible interpretation.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:10 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,913,085 times
then they are not christian, as they deny the word and power of God. Since the bible says that one MUST be Born Again to be a Christian, there is not Christian outside of that.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:13 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,913,085 times
and if you can be a christian any other way, I sure would like to know how and where it is written.

Why would some body call themselves a Christian(follower of Christ) and reject Christs word? Why would he have to die on the cross if there is another way of going to heaven? Why even go through the process if one could just say, I will make up what Christian is and why call oneself a christian and not follow HIM?

Old 04-26-2007, 01:15 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,188,484 times
A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. (NIV, 1 Timothy 2:11-12)

Old 04-26-2007, 01:17 PM

267 posts, read 533,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
effeminates-homosexual, not feminine which is a woman.
Not by my dictionary, it doesn't.

characterized by excessive softness or self indulgence
womanly characteristics

Old 04-26-2007, 01:24 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,835,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virote View Post
Now I was presented with biblical quotes. I ruled out all that included the word homosexual because it is a modern word and inapplicable. I chose the quote from the oldest version that said the effeminate meaning homosexuals would not inherit the kingdom of God.
Ok, fine. So how about this part where the word "homosexuality" is not mentioned:

"Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion."

Romans 1:26-27

Are the relations that 'men abandoned with women for lust for other men' not the sin we now call homosexuality? Is it not wrong in The BIble?

Old 04-26-2007, 01:27 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,027,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
Carolina made a small goof there. Yes the letters were written by Paul under divine guidance. Paul (formerly known as Saul of Tarsus) persecuted Christians until he had a vision of Christ and lost his sight on the road to Damascus. Then Christ appeared to him again and he regained his vision and set-off to be trained so he could start his ministry.

Still, the writting of Paul, a former Christian hater (like Rosie O'Donnell), are considered divinely inspired as the men was choosen by Christ himself to suffer and bring to Word to many.

Thanks foir pointing out that small goof. That still doesn't invalidate the point Carolina was making.
As I indicated in another post, the validity or invalidity of the point is based on your view and perspective of the Bible and of Paul's writings more specifically. If you view his letters as the literal "word of God" then your perspective, especially on the subject of homosexuality, would be different from one who does not view Paul's writings in the same manner.

Being divinely inspired does not automatically mean you are right. There are many who are inspired by the divine or by their own spiritual conversion experience (which they believe to be divinely inspired) whose theological views are not shared by others.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:34 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,188,484 times
I wonder how many berating gays follow Paul on this:

1 Timothy 2:9

women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array

Old 04-26-2007, 01:45 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,014,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I hope women who take the Bible literally are not here making pronouncements -- they are to remain silent according to the scriptures.
In the case that this is what you are referring to
1 Corinthians 14:34
34The women should keep quiet in the churches, for they are not authorized to speak, but should take a secondary and subordinate place, just as the Law also says.(A)

It is simply stating that women should not be the head pastor, preacher, speaker of the church. There is an order of authority in a church...as in life...
This should open a nice big fat can of worms...

Men are a head of the church as they are at home. It is the duty of the women to teach the children and perhaps other women, but not the whole church. Men are the head and are to do the preaching and leading of the congregation.
I think that when women hear that they are supposed to be submisive they automatically become offended because of the stigma that comes with it. Men have twisted it so much so that women are completely offended by it. When it is said that women are supposed to be submisive, it isn't as extensive and "woman bashing" as people make it out to be.
BY THE WAY, I AM A WOMAN SO don't think I am saying this from a male perspective. This part is so off topic! Sorry, couldn't help myself!

Old 04-26-2007, 01:45 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,134,199 times
If understand correctly, unless you follow the rebirth, some here would say one is not a Christian.

I don't know if anyone is participating in this thread who may be a Christian who does not follow the bible in this way, if they have spoken to the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality