Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 11:32 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,138,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
And why are you just singling out the mormon church? I'm sure that other churches have standards and personal beliefs.
I don't know about him. But when you don't allow someone brother to see them get married because they had a child out of wedlock that is crossing the line.

I don't see where it is the busines of the church to deny someone entry to watch their sibling marry because they made a mistake.

Why does the church insist on playing GOD with their members lives?

GOD will judge them. NOT the church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 02:34 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,150,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I don't know about him. But when you don't allow someone brother to see them get married because they had a child out of wedlock that is crossing the line.

I don't see where it is the busines of the church to deny someone entry to watch their sibling marry because they made a mistake.

We believe the temple to be a very sacred, holy place and certain standards must be met to enter. I don't know where you got the making a mistake thing but it has nothing to do with that it has to do with how one is currently living their life.
But you know this thread is really pointless and just a way for anti's to jab at the church. What we believe about the temple and what others like yourself do are so different that we will never see eye to eye and never come to any understanding.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:44 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,447,034 times
Quote:
My mother in law told me all about how she met many Mormon women in her neighborhood (She lived in one of the most mormon places in Utah -West Bountiful) who spoke with her on a variety of things that they would have otherwise been discplined for speaking about in the church.

They loved having an OUTSIDER to talk to about things that are not talked about in the mormon church. THings they questioned like a womans place in society and the churchs ideals of women. They would never be allowed to speak up to anyone who belonged to the church about these things.

Don't say they don't opress women because they do. It's just the women fear being disciplined for speaking out about it.

That is a shame that you cannot speak to your minister about things like that.
Well i dont live in utah or know the women your mother in law knows but i will tell you that the mormon women i know are not oppressed or for that matter any different than the non-mormon women i know.Who exactly is going to do all this disciplining you are talking about?I can tell you that where i live the women participate in the workings of the church as much as the men do.More women give what would be called 'sermons' in other churches then men,women lead and close the services with prayer as often or more so than the men,woman teach the scripture classes to both men and women.There are certain ordainances that only male priesthood holders can do but in 'most' churches only the'priest' or 'pastor' would do them so it isnt really that different than a catholic or 'many' baptist churchs in that respect.All of you who think you know so much about what happens in a mormon church should go spend a few sundays in one and quit relying on what you heard third and fourth hand.I had never been in a mormon church until i was in my 40's and have found most of the negative stuff i had heard about it to be total bs.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:

Well again you dont understand how it works.There are lifestyle standards required to enter a mormon temple.The temples arent 'churches',anyone can enter a church.Mormons dont have to be married in the temple so if the sister was so worried about it she could have been married in the church,at the lake,on the beach and gone and gotten sealed later.Many,many,many mormons who in the past have had children out of wedlock,cheated on their wives,gotten divorced,tore a label off a mattress,smoked a joint,trashed a bar,etc,etc. have repented and are leading more clean lives 'currently' are allowed in the temple.Most churches have certain moral standards they expect thier members to follow.The lds church like most churches expects people to make mistakes,it also expects people to try to do better in the future.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:51 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,041,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
I had never been in a mormon church until i was in my 40's and have found most of the negative stuff i had heard about it to be total bs.
Because they keep changing it to appease the critics.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:44 PM

328 posts, read 566,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
LOL!!!!! Logic, it is always fun to watch you make up stuff and exaggerate the rest.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:45 PM

328 posts, read 566,779 times
Quote:
My brother in laws Episcopalian church has a gay choir director.

There were gay people in my christian school and at church. They were never NOT invited to attend.

My best friend ex-husband was gay and they excommunicated him from the Mormon church. He has been with his partner for 10 years now.
I personally know a gay person in an LDS ward choir (not necessarily mine). So what? I've known a number of gay people who have attended the LDS church regularly, some actively gay. So what?

Old 12-08-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
I'm sorry but logic really isn't your friend.You complain endlessly that the lds church is rigid and insular and clannish and resists change and oppressess its members.....while at the same time trying to say that it 'changes all the time to appease critics'....Why dont you go spend a few sundays at a mormon church and then get back to us with your observations..perhaps you'll discover that you dont know as much about mormons as you think you do.They will be more than happy to let you see what goes on and many of them will be equally happy to talk your ear off about the church if you let them.No salesman[missionary] will call if you dont want them to.In most areas of the country the majority of adults will be people who converted from something else at some point and you will see many people that you never would guess were mormon if you saw them on the street......or you can just go on posting nonsense that you read off the internet ,written by someone who also has never been inside an lds church.....but had a friend....who had a neighbor....who worked with a girl...who told her..that her cousin..marriied an 'elder'...who performed human sacrifices..in the basement of the temple...in a secret room..right next to the bomb shelter...and so on

Old 12-08-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMcNabb View Post
LOL!!!!! Logic, it is always fun to watch you make up stuff and exaggerate the rest.
Joseph Smith and Brigham Young were polygamists, but now a polygamist is not allowed in the temple.

LDS racism was abound when the Mormons considered dark skin a curse.

the book of mormon claimed that native Americans were the descendants of the mythical people in the book, but changed it to "among" the descendants after science proved them wrong.
[SIZE=2]"I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book." (History of the Church, Vol. 4, page 461)[/SIZE]

They also used to excommunicate gays just because they were gay, before this 'celibacy or forced straight marriage' exception came in.
Gay Mormons see change, stagnation in church

Temple ordinances have been changed recently as well.
"The Prophet Joseph Smith taught, 'Ordinances instituted in the heavens before the foundation of the world, in the priesthood, for the salvation of men, are not to be altered or changed.'" August 2001 Ensign (page 22)

Made up? Exaggerated?

Old 12-08-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
I'm sorry but logic really isn't your friend.You complain endlessly that the lds church is rigid and insular and clannish and resists change and oppressess its members.....while at the same time trying to say that it 'changes all the time to appease critics'....Why dont you go spend a few sundays at a mormon church and then get back to us with your observations..perhaps you'll discover that you dont know as much about mormons as you think you do.They will be more than happy to let you see what goes on and many of them will be equally happy to talk your ear off about the church if you let them.No salesman[missionary] will call if you dont want them to.In most areas of the country the majority of adults will be people who converted from something else at some point and you will see many people that you never would guess were mormon if you saw them on the street......or you can just go on posting nonsense that you read off the internet ,written by someone who also has never been inside an lds church.....but had a friend....who had a neighbor....who worked with a girl...who told her..that her cousin..marriied an 'elder'...who performed human sacrifices..in the basement of the temple...in a secret room..right next to the bomb shelter...and so on
I don't get your initial criticism of me. I said 'oppresses members' not 'never changes.'

It's laughable that you think one could find out everything about the mormon church by merely attending the church. Likewise, you couldn't find out everything about the actual historicity of the bible by merely attending any christian church. They like to gloss over touchy facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality