Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 08:45 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,999,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
I'm sorry but logic really isn't your friend.You complain endlessly that the lds church is rigid and insular and clannish and resists change and oppressess its members.....while at the same time trying to say that it 'changes all the time to appease critics'....Why dont you go spend a few sundays at a mormon church and then get back to us with your observations..perhaps you'll discover that you dont know as much about mormons as you think you do.They will be more than happy to let you see what goes on and many of them will be equally happy to talk your ear off about the church if you let them.No salesman[missionary] will call if you dont want them to.In most areas of the country the majority of adults will be people who converted from something else at some point and you will see many people that you never would guess were mormon if you saw them on the street......or you can just go on posting nonsense that you read off the internet ,written by someone who also has never been inside an lds church.....but had a friend....who had a neighbor....who worked with a girl...who told her..that her cousin..marriied an 'elder'...who performed human sacrifices..in the basement of the temple...in a secret room..right next to the bomb shelter...and so on
Oh, come on.

Everyone posting on the net, especially those who have left the cult, are wrong and YOU are correct.
Sorry, that doesn't hold water for me.
It appears to me that people, some people, really DO feel oppressed; but are concerned enough about repercussions that it is a little open secret. Anyone just attending a service probably will not get it.
It is the lifestyle, the protocols, the myths, the promise to men of many wives in heaven? Did I hear right? Isn't that what the terrorists believe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Well they are rigid and if there was money to be made by allowing gay marriage then they would be right there changing up the rules.

The same was they changed polygamy because the Gov't would not allow them to become a state until they ditched that horrid practice, and low and behold A REVELATION- Polygamy is bad. WOW what timing- huh? Almost like it was PLANNED.

Yeah Other churches do the same stuff. They all deny it.
Well, the purpose of most people who are 'leaders' of churches is POWER.
The rules and dogma are often there to control the little people, the sheep, the great unthinking followers.
So, the guys on top change the rules if they are losing their base or if they can expand their power in some way.

Shame the people cannot see this.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Either you believe it or you dont. That is the bottom line.

Just like any religion. I wonder what you hope to accomplish? Do you imagine that these little strange posts are going to upset Mormons or make us feel bad? I hate to break it to you but uh, no.
No, it should NOT be either you believe or not.
Either something is right or it is not.
There is NOTHING that should be assumed and not questioned. All dogma can change.
We are not here on this planet to create fairytales and see how many will believe them.
The myths that are taught in religion serve to keep people apart from their God. Those very myths are there to lend an air of mystery, as though their originators did NOT believe and had to create some hokum to impress others with.

An attitude of 'either you believe or you don't' just tells me that, deep inside, the person making that statement does NOT believe.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:59 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,580,124 times
oppress? If they don't like the religion's rules then stop going to that church. Nothing oppressive about the situation at all. Don't like the rules then hit the road to another church or none at all.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
What is this Church modeling themselves after? A Country Club? You can't use the facilities until you pay your monthly membership dues and follow ALL our rules, no swimming in the pool after 9pm or else we revoke your membership? I just find that somewhat abusive of the name of God. Passing down judgements and Doling out sentences in the Name of God bothers me.
Taboo,
You are Such a HOOT!
You got it, a COUNTRY CLUB!
Good imagination.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMcNabb View Post
Then you would have really disliked Peter, James, John, Luke, and Paul, all of whom were notorious for creating and supporting organized religion with explicit congregations, rules, and leaders. If you think organized religion is inherently wrong (and I admit you haven't yet gone that far), then you believe in something different than what is described in the New Testament.

But then again, maybe modern despisers of organized religion have a better idea about what Jesus wanted to do than His apostles did.
I know this is strange to your ears, but that might very well be so.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:

No, but the people that wrote the Bible created an "organized religion" with all the trappings, and apparently "organized religion" is approved by God.
No. The books of the bible were found seperately and compiled together by an outside force YEARS after they were written.
We do not even have a book which quotes Jesus that was written in his time. It was all done by memory.

No, the early church in Christ's day was not organized. He said where two or three are joined in my name, there I will be also.
Not huge congregations.
Nope.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:48 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Howz that blacklist coming along?
how would i know? I do not have the time to devote to that. I am sure you have your own thoughts on myself and my life, but you would be way off. I do encourage anyone who feels slighted by certain business (for whatever reasoning) to go ahead and not shop there anymore. This is america after all. I feel that hitting people in the pocketbook is the only true way to make your point in this day and age. Put your money where you mouth is when you decide to pass judgement and laws on other people's rights.

Quote:
but not him for not understanding that his sister lives a different life now?

Actually if a family severs ties because they refuse to accept the faith of one of their daughters, then perhaps that family wasnt as strong as you think.
The whole family is mormon. They live in Utah. This isn't about her going off and joining some obscure religion. It is about the Mormon church's hold over a family, so much so that one sibling was so drawn and conditioned to the church's ideals - she chose getting married in the temple.

You all have said getting married just at the church would be just as acceptable and would have allowed her brother to attend. But would it have been as acceptable? Not likely or you wouldn't need a recommendation to get married in the temple.

You also stated that marriage in the temple last forever, not just on earth. What does marriage in the church last?
Why is it such a great thing that she would have chosen the temple over her brother when you claim it is the same getting married just at regular church?
Obviously it is not the same and obviously she was forced to choose and that seems very divisive of the church.
Quote:

Then by all means, please enlighten us on what exactly is the true word of God.
This isn't about what MY church or myself follow. This is about a church interfering negatively into families lives. I find it sad.

Why must you always try to turn things around?

Old 12-11-2008, 10:08 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,134,708 times
Quote:
I personally know a gay person in an LDS ward choir (not necessarily mine). So what? I've known a number of gay people who have attended the LDS church regularly, some actively gay. So what?
The difference is this guys has a LIFE and a partner who he is committed to and his church and HIS GOD APPROVES of that.

UNlike your gay mormons who lead a life where they have to push down all desires and feelings for human connection. Yes, I realizse we ask all single people to do just that. But they have a light at the end of that tunnel. That they can get married and get it on. Gay people have nothing to look forward to but a life of lonelyness and emptiness. No hope of marriage and of one day have consenual sex that God approves of.

Do you realize how inhumane it really is to ask grown responsible adults to be alone their entire lives, to never have a family, to never feel LOVED by another human? Yeah, many Christian churches do this as well but I find it horrid from all of you.

This isn't nuns or priests who CHOOSE this path. These are regular people who happen to have been born gay.
They didn't choose to be gay, they were born that way.

It is no different than saying because someone has red hair or blue eyes they should never be allowed to marry another person with blue eyes or red hair.

Last edited by Taboo2; 12-11-2008 at 10:21 AM..

Old 12-11-2008, 10:47 AM

36,674 posts, read 67,656,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Either something is right or it is not.
And who exactly are you to tell others that theyre beliefs are wrong? Actually, you don't have a right to do that if they arent breaking any laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality