Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 08:44 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times

Advertisements

I realize that there is an interconnectedness in the history of the Christian faith and Judaism and I'm certainly no expert on the subject. From the Christian perspective the Bible clearly states that the Jews are the chosen people and Jesus himself is said to be a Jew. What seems perplexing to me is that the main religion of the Jews in the world is Judaism which of course has it's own set of beliefs and doesn't accept Jesus as the messiah. My question isn't really about Jusaism, it's about Christianity, and I'm simply wondering why the chosen people according to the Christian faith are the Jews and yet they don't even share the basic beliefs of Christians. This brings up a few questions. Christians believe that only by accepting Christ can an individual be saved. Does this mean that the overwhelming majority of Jews, God's chosen people, will not be saved? Also, doesn't it seem very strange that God's chosen people, according to Christianity, aren't even believers in the Christian faith?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 08:55 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,072 times
This website was interesting. Speaks of what Jews were expecting in a Messiah, but were gravely disappointed in Jesus. Since then they have sort of been in limbo so to speak and have created other numerous later writtings to cancel out Messiah prophecies of the Torah which in turn changed the nature of their original Jewish religion.

It's sort of a Jew FAQ site: Judaism 101: Moshiach: The Messiah

On another spooky note!!! Did you really want to open up another EastGate debate thread ???

Old 01-14-2009, 08:57 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
bluepacific wrote:
Quote:
On another spooky note!!! Did you really want to open up another EastGate debate thread ???
You've got a point there.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:05 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I realize that there is an interconnectedness in the history of the Christian faith and Judaism and I'm certainly no expert on the subject. From the Christian perspective the Bible clearly states that the Jews are the chosen people and Jesus himself is said to be a Jew. What seems perplexing to me is that the main religion of the Jews in the world is Judaism which of course has it's own set of beliefs and doesn't accept Jesus as the messiah. My question isn't really about Jusaism, it's about Christianity, and I'm simply wondering why the chosen people according to the Christian faith are the Jews and yet they don't even share the basic beliefs of Christians. This brings up a few questions. Christians believe that only by accepting Christ can an individual be saved. Does this mean that the overwhelming majority of Jews, God's chosen people, will not be saved? Also, doesn't it seem very strange that God's chosen people, according to Christianity, aren't even believers in the Christian faith?
Many Jews do believe. Read the Book of Acts--a lot of them did believe then, too. Christianity later became known as a new religion, instead of the fulfillment of the Jewish faith.

It was prophesied that Christ would be rejected by Israel in general.

Peter said in 1 Pe 2:7 "1Pe 2:7 So you who believe see his value, but for those who do not believe, the stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone, 22"

He was quoting Psalm 118:22 "The stone which the builders discarded has become the cornerstone"

In answer to your question about the salvation of the Jews? Christ himself said he is the way, the truth and the life (John 14:6). Nobody gets to heaven but through him. It's that simple. Jewish people have the same chance for redemption as anyone else.

And what of God's chosen people? The believers in Christ replace Israel. God is more concerned about a person's heart than who their parents were.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:05 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post

I was wondering about it myself. Good question.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:18 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,352,915 times
Good question. I think during the actual time when the Jesus myth was suppose to happen there was no Jesus for them to believe in. The only documentation for Jesus is in the Bible, and it is just not acceptable as a reference source. He looks like a scam. The Bible tried to fill in the holes and make excuses for why many did not accept the Jesus myth, but I see the true reason is they are not willing to accept a hoax or fraud.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:42 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,838,689 times
Ahaa...ah! Then whatever Jesus is per content of the essence of Knowledge is Jesus a natural or unnatural Being? God created something; is still at the concern of eventually God becoming Himself.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:45 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
Good question. I think during the actual time when the Jesus myth was suppose to happen there was no Jesus for them to believe in. The only documentation for Jesus is in the Bible, and it is just not acceptable as a reference source. He looks like a scam. The Bible tried to fill in the holes and make excuses for why many did not accept the Jesus myth, but I see the true reason is they are not willing to accept a hoax or fraud.

And the religion grew exponentially throughout the region, with people willingly giving their lives because they believed in him after seeing him risen from the dead.

Does anyone doubt that muhammed existed? We think he was a murderous thug, but nobody denies he once walked the earth.

Fact of the matter is, there is more reason to believe in Jesus having existed than Alexander the Great or Julius Caesar.

Last edited by kdbrich; 01-14-2009 at 09:54 AM..

Old 01-14-2009, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 10,124 times
they dont accept Jesus because they dont wanna admit they're the ones that crucified him

if it was a myth then why does all off history go along his coming..why do u follow the year and date according to b.c and a.d? why would someone start history and time all over again pretty much just to make up a myth

salvation is at hand for everyone who accepts..the term christianity came after the death...it was still a continuance of jewish faith..so really the christians should be called jews and the jews of today should be called something else because they chose to turn their back on their saviour and we didnt(Christians)

Old 01-14-2009, 09:55 AM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Matthew 18:36 "Then Jesus answered, I am not an earthly king. If I were, my followers would have fought when I was arrested by the Jewish leaders. But my Kingdom is not of this world".
The Jews were looking for an earthly king and still are.
Mark 16: 12-13"Afterward He appeared to two who were walking from Jerusalem into the country, but they didn't recognize Him at first because He had changed His appearance. When they realized who He was, they rushed back to tell the others, but no one believed them".
Matthew 28:11-15 "As the women were on their way into the city, some of the men who had been guarding the tomb went to the leading priests and told them what had happened. A meeting of all the religious leaders was called, and they decided to bribe the soldiers. They told the soldiers, you must say Jesus disciples came during the night while we were sleeping, and they stole His body. If the governor hears about it, we'll stand up for you and everything will be alright. So the guards accepted the bribe and said what they were told to say. Their story spread widely among the Jews, and they still believe it today".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality