Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 06:17 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,070,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
You don't believe in chance? I bet you won't jump off a high building because you know your chances of surviving are slim to none...or do you have faith that god has a greater purpose for you and you'll survive. Chance or probability is a measurable statistic based on the likelihood that an event will occur. It is used every day in our lives...to figure out our car insurance premiums...to create odds at horse races...to whatever you can think of...there is a probability attached.

The same can be said about earth. Though the probabilities are extremely low of such a situation occurring in the universe...we are here and not coincidentally.

Yes, I understand the idea of probability.

My point is that I believe some people have replaced the idea of an omnipotent God with the idea of omnipotent chance...meaning that it's unbelievable that a God exists...but they are willing to believe that it just happened by chance.

I don't believe that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 06:24 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
There is a theory in physics... can't remember the name of it. But anything in chaos moves towards chaos (not inertia...something to do specifically with chaos). Chaotic things can't organize themselves.

If you blow up a brick house, are the bricks going to fall down from the explosion and make an even better house? NO! Yet that's what the big bang theory says happened to the universe.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:49 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
There is a theory in physics... can't remember the name of it. But anything in chaos moves towards chaos (not inertia...something to do specifically with chaos). Chaotic things can't organize themselves.

If you blow up a brick house, are the bricks going to fall down from the explosion and make an even better house? NO! Yet that's what the big bang theory says happened to the universe.
No it doesn't...Not at all.

The Big Bang Model is a broadly accepted theory for the origin and evolution of our universe. It postulates that 12 to 14 billion years ago, the portion of the universe we can see today was only a few millimeters across. It has since expanded from this hot dense state into the vast and much cooler cosmos we currently inhabit. We can see remnants of this hot dense matter as the now very cold cosmic microwave background radiation which still pervades the universe and is visible to microwave detectors as a uniform glow across the entire sky.

http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/universe/bb_theory.html

Last edited by sanspeur; 02-04-2009 at 06:58 AM..

Old 02-04-2009, 06:53 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,353,570 times
I am going to read this entire thread later, but at this moment I don't believe that it was chance. But I certainly don't believe in the Biblical God for other reasons. The closest to my understanding is that there is a creator, but that this creator is not involved with us in any way.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:

entropy.

try not to make the atheists think. they don't like that.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:04 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:

Chaos theory simplified.
YouTube - Chaos Theory

Old 02-04-2009, 09:20 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
entropy.

try not to make the atheists think. they don't like that.
It's unbecoming (and un-Christ-like) of you to be petty like that. Atheists actually have to think about everything, since they aren't handed any answers in a mythical book.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
It's unbecoming (and un-Christ-like) of you to be petty like that. Atheists actually have to think about everything, since they aren't handed any answers in a mythical book.

I can't be a little snarky, but they can be downright nasty and rude to us, attacking and blaspheming my God at every opportunity? Even your response to me here claiming the Bible is a "mythical book" is an example.

Let's be fair.

Last edited by kdbrich; 02-04-2009 at 10:08 AM..

Old 02-04-2009, 09:47 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I can't be a little snarky, but they can be downright nasty and rude to us, attacking and blaspheming my God at every opportunity? Even your response to me here claiming the Bible is a "mythical book" is an example.

Let's fair.
I'm big enough to take criticisms of my philosophical beliefs without resorting to insults. Go ahead, feel free to slam on Buddha and Buddhism; it won't make any difference to how I feel about it, and if Buddha were still alive he'd take it with aplomb too.

Blasphemy is subjective. A non-Christian cannot blaspheme your deity anymore than a non-Buddhist can say anything that "blasphemes" my beliefs. So where's the problem?

Old 02-04-2009, 10:01 AM

410 posts, read 515,267 times
I understand the creator created everything in this dimension that we are studying. The creator gave life in this dimension and hasn't said anything to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality