Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 10:09 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,671,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Here's one contradiction in your holy book, let's start with your 10 Commandments and the one about Exodus 20:13 "You shall not kill." or "Thou shall not kill." It means the same no matter which way you say it. It seems as though your God forgot about that one when he told Moses in Exodus 32:27, put every man his sword on his side, and go to and fro from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbor. Seems as though your God forgot about that commandment.

How about Exodus 20:8, "Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy" or "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy" no matter which way you say it, it means the same. Yet in Exodus 31:15, your God says to Moses, "Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord, whoever does any work on the Sabbath day shall be put to death." Here we go again forgetting about the one commandment about "You should not kill." Seems as though your God can't make up his mind, or does he put himself above his laws?

And just how powerful is your God? In Jeremiah 32:27, your God says, "behold I am the Lord, the God of all flesh, is anything too hard for me?"

And yet in Judges 1:19, your holy book says, "the Lord was with Judah, and he took possession of the hill country, but he could not drive out the inhabitants of the plain, because they had chariots of iron."

I guess iron is to your God, like kryptonite is to Superman.

Well Campbell, you asked for some contradictions and I presented you with a few, care to respond? And this is just a few from the Old Testament.

So Campbell, you have very conveniently forgotten about the question of contradictions in the Bible, like I said earlier, you're very good at talking around the subject but never addressing it directly and choose whichever one of your holy books you wish to use to explain the above contradiction. Interesting how you seem to want to avoid the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 10:12 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,671,082 times
Quote:
So which version of your holy book do you want to choose from ?

The New American Standard Bible, copyrighted 1960.
"You shall not murder"

God's Word translation, copyright 1995
"Never murder"

King James Bible.
"Thou shalt not kill"

American King James Version.
"You shall not kill."

American Standard Version.
"Thou shalt not kill."

Bible in basic English.
"Do not put anyone to death without cause."

Douay-Rheims Bible.
"Thou shalt not kill."

Darby Bible Translation.
"Thou shalt not kill."

English Revised Version.
"Thou shalt do no murder."

Webster's Bible Translation.
"Thou shalt not kill."

World English Bible.
"You shall not murder."

Young's Literal Translation.
"Thou dost not murder."

So which one of these do you subscribe to and you can see why the confusion. You do a very good job of not addressing the question by talking around the subject. You still haven't answered the question as to the contradictions.

Here's a selection you can choose from, it makes no difference they are all the same. I do believe the King James version is among these.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:13 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,979,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinidaka View Post
Originally Posted by Campbell34

(yours). The Bible clearly tells us, there will be no peace on earth, until Jesus Christ returns the second time.

(mine)Yes sir, you're right and that is what we are working on. christ return 1844. The return of Christ came with Greater Peace and Lesser Peace. He also advice, that we have a duty and responsibility for stopping the International Problem, we are facing now. We will acheive the Lesser Peace First, which mean that either the Nations (Leader) will come together to the table and make peace or there will be war and then peace, or we will face a huge difficulties that will happen by nature or by human error, and we will all suffer and then peace will come.

My duty since I have accepted the return of Christ... is to teach people and let them know that Christ has return. If I don't follow up with my duty, then whenever the Lesser Peace come I will suffer the same with you and everybody else that has not accept the return of Christ.

I have work to do now!

(Yours)The Book of Revelation clearly points that out, and the other Old Testement prophecies tell us the samething.

(Mine) Yes, because that what Jesus said "then" it is in the past. You're correct, lots of prophecies in the bible also, tell us about the return of Christ, the peace message, and on Revelation 3:12 - And I will write on him MY new name." there also many more about prophecies of His coming... If we can only read them and understand them well. "I still have many things to say into you, but ye cannot bear them 'now'. Howbeit, when He the Spirit of Truth is com, he will guide you unto all truth." John 16:12-13. [ Spirit of Truth is a new name and another identity than Jesus as Christ says 'he' will guide you, not "I" will guide you after 'I' (Jesus) go away].

Jesus came into this world to be put to death on the cross, so it was obvious there would be no peace when He arrived either.

(Mine) First of all, Christ didn't come to this world to put to death on the cross, he was put on the Cross as a wrong and false start by the Jewish. For the same reason that people did not believe that the 'Glory of the Father' was the return of Christ and back then it was for the same reason when Christ came the follower of Moses didn't believe that Jesus himself is the Messiah.

The angles proclaimed peace, yet their word had little power to do that. Yet they knew that someday peace would come because of Jesus. Yet that peace is for the future.

Yes, the peace will come and many things in the bible pointed out to the future and some of that future is now.

I wanted to share with you this word of John 8:58... In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. [the physical body of christ did not exist from the beginning but the divine Christ did; the Glory of the Father is the Return of the divine Christ. Also, Christ as the Word of God changed the Word of God given to Jews by changing the Laws of Moses even through (Deut 4:2, 12:32) forbids changing the Word of God. Therefore Jesus in physical form and as the Word of God has changed.]

The bible recounts that Christ's body was born and changed from and did grow into manhood; and therefore the physical body was not the changeless nature referred to. [therefore, the Divine Nature of Christ and His Spiritual Teachings have always existed, are always the same, and exist in the Glory of the Father who is the return of Christ, and Who made the same claim for the eternal nature of His teachigs. However, the physical nature of Christ's body did grow and change and is not the same 'yesaterday, today and forever.']

When I have to face people that who are insist on what the bible says and yet not understand it or close to accept the return of Christ it's make me think, how far off you have missed the returned of Christ by not doing your homework "RESEARCH." I come from the tiny dot of an island in the South Pacific, some where above New Zealand and I had awake to recognize the return of Christ. I'm so thankful to my parent who dug in, hung on and so determined then, for making my eyes open wide and think hard so I will understand the "thief in the night" Thanks to the Book of Revelation, Matt, John, Tim, Heb, Luke, Mark, Col, ...etc.

Nofo aa.
Christ never returned in the past, and Christians authored books in the 1600s and 1800s that stated that according to the prophecies of the Bible, before Christ would return, the Jewish people would first have to return from a worldwide exile. They stated that the Bible said they would (First) have to return to Israel, and Jerusalem. And that their return would anger the nations. They were correct, and the Jewish people have returned, and their return has angered many nations. All of this is just part of God's bigger plan.

And the Bible also predicted in it's prophecies that Christ would be rejected by His own people, and He would be put to death as an offering for the sins of this world. The Old Testament prophecies even tell us He would be betrayed for 30 peices of silver. Jesus was killed, because the prophecies of the Old Testament stated He would be.

The Christians of the past knew what the Bible said, and their belief in those prophecies was correct, because we can now see the truth of what they proclaimed.

Last edited by Campbell34; 02-25-2009 at 12:51 PM..

Old 02-25-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
So Campbell, you have very conveniently forgotten about the question of contradictions in the Bible, like I said earlier, you're very good at talking around the subject but never addressing it directly and choose whichever one of your holy books you wish to use to explain the above contradiction. Interesting how you seem to want to avoid the question.
Modern versions of the Bible will differ, and this is to be expected. Especially when you have so many people involoved in the translations. And when there is a question that must be answered, you sometimes have to return to the Majority Text, which numbers in the thousands of copies from ancient times past. These texts are all in agreement. And we also have the Dead Sea Scrolls that have been preserved and untouched for over 2100 years. I avoid no questions. There are times when I can't answer them right away, but I love responding.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:33 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,567,847 times
Must be very convenient to choose which never changing truth you choose to believe, especially when it disagrees with all the other never changing truths out there.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
Having read and participated in this thread, I feel it all boils down to one basic fact:

Those who believe will continue to believe, those who don't never will. All the quotes and arguements will not change this simple fact.
What it really boils down to, is when the Bible shows us prophecies that are factual, and we can see them fulfilled in our own time. Some will believe those facts, and others will ignore them because those facts do not agree with their worldview. And the return of the Jews was spoken of in the 1600s and 1800s, so the people of that time who believe in the prophecies of the Bible have been proven correct by the passing of time. And those who would say we today are just force fitting the prophecies for our time would be in error. And I can say that, because the Christians of the past proclaimed those Biblical prophecies hundreds of years before the people of today existed.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:39 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,567,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Not true. There are many testimonies on this board of folks who were formerly believers and changed their thinking. It is often a gradual process and not entirely conscious during the entire process.
As long as you will admit that there are those among us that have disregarded their religious beliefs for the same reasons too, I will not argue the point.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroyals View Post
So the sun does revolve around the Earth, which is stationary and immovable. I'll inform NASA.
Please, if you do a little research, you would discover what is being spoken of here has nothing to do with the orbit of the earth. I swear, you guys really believe you know what your talking about. LOL

Old 02-25-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
Must be very convenient to choose which never changing truth you choose to believe, especially when it disagrees with all the other never changing truths out there.
Gods truth never changes, and that is why to be sure of any Bible Translation, you always refer back to the Majority Text.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:59 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,526,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroyals View Post
So the sun does revolve around the Earth, which is stationary and immovable. I'll inform NASA.
rofl. waive that!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality