Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 07:57 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,175,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
I've always wanted to test out what I've found in my own personal experience, that the majority of American atheists grew up in unloving homes. When you've never felt loved or taken care of in a caretaking fashion by a human, it's hard to believe there's some supernatural being in the sky that loves and cares about you. Just a thought, not trying to offend anyone.

Personally, I'm an Taoist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 11:43 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,941,422 times
Quote:
I've always wanted to test out what I've found in my own personal experience, that the majority of American atheists grew up in unloving homes. When you've never felt loved or taken care of in a caretaking fashion by a human, it's hard to believe there's some supernatural being in the sky that loves and cares about you. Just a thought, not trying to offend anyone.

Personally, I'm an Taoist.
I'd be cool to see the results of that test. I honestly think that living in unloving homes would increase the likelihood of believing in a higher power that loves us as a way to cope with neglect.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:03 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,335,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
I'd be cool to see the results of that test. I honestly think that living in unloving homes would increase the likelihood of believing in a higher power that loves us as a way to cope with neglect.
If that were true, no one would ever have any emotional problems.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:04 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,335,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Saying a person may have been raised in an unloving home is not a value judgement. I'm not trying to put atheists down when I say that.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:06 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,941,422 times
Quote:
If that were true, no one would ever have any emotional problems.
Why?

Old 05-13-2009, 02:22 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,756,953 times
Quote:
Saying a person may have been raised in an unloving home is not a value judgement. I'm not trying to put atheists down when I say that.
Sure you are. You're implying that we're defective in some way due to how we were raised.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:35 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,328,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatetruth View Post
For those who don't know by now, I started doubting all of this nonesense a few months ago and now, i'm happy (sort of) to be an Atheist.

I am feeling a bit strange though and i'd like to hear your views on this and to see if anyone feels the same way i do!

See, i now do not believe in a heaven and hell and so all i do in life is for this life and this life alone....I try to enjoy my life to the fullest; i try to be good to others and love my family. i try to learn as much as possible and see as much of the world as i can in the time that i have on this earth.

however, i do feel a bit sad! Sad because i'm disappointed to finally understand that THIS IS IT! before i became an atheist, i believed in a afterlife (or at least entertained the idea) but now, it's clear as day to me that all that is pure BS. that makes me sad and a bit disappointed. To suddenly realize that there is NO grand 'purpose' in life, other than reproducing, raising offsprings, and if lucky, enjoying life, is somewhat sad. Don't get me wrong...i love my life and i'm amazed everyday by life itself and the nature that surrounds me...but i do kinda wish there was something else! (but there clearly isn't!)

anyone else feel what i feel?
The realization that this is it is was at first kind of depressing, but now I celebrate it because it helped me decide to gain a little more fulfillment in my life. For me, it's actually the best part of being an atheist.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:45 PM

307 posts, read 479,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurley89 View Post
it applies to what i quoted. duh.

This bible must be shadowing what's in front of you. jezzus
Yep. You're confused.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:41 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,358,863 times
Quote:
It sounds like a put down. Just for the record I am an Atheist, and I was raised in a loving home. My paternal side were protestants and also raised in a loving home, and my maternal side were Jewish and Atheist and also raised in a loving home. I in truth don’t see where what you choose as a faith has anything to do with the loving home status or a home filled with bitterness and hate, nor do the loving home status have anything to do with a person being an Atheist.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:07 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,630,095 times
Violett wrote:
Quote:
Don't you know that when you make a comment like that that you can expect some unpleasant responses? What it sounds like you're saying is that atheism is the result of a troubled childhood not unlike juveniles who get into trouble and often end up in prison because of their abusive and unloving parents who cause the child to become antisocial. That point of view is based on ignorance because you have obviously taken the stigma of being an atheist in a religious society very seriously and it has led you to the conclusion that atheists are disturbed individuals who have lost their way.
I also came from a very loving and good family and we've always been close to each other. My atheism is nothing more than a desire to think for myself and to question the religious teachings I learned as a child but came to believe they were not based on reality. Actually, the way in which you expressed your thoughts were really not offensive at all and I can sense that this is something that you actually believe so no offense was taken by me but it sounds like you're so locked into the idea of a loving God who takes care of us that you can't comprehend a contrary point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality