Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 12:37 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,335,236 times

Advertisements

I've always wanted to test out what I've found in my own personal experience, that the majority of American atheists grew up in unloving homes. When you've never felt loved or taken care of in a caretaking fashion by a human, it's hard to believe there's some supernatural being in the sky that loves and cares about you. Just a thought, not trying to offend anyone.

Personally, I'm an Taoist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 12:55 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,506,441 times
It's not the part about "someone loving us" we find hard to believe.

It's all the magic tricks we don't believe in that we get hung up on.

I have lots of love in my life, from my mom, to my wife, to my kids. We're all very happy.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
It's not the part about "someone loving us" we find hard to believe.

It's all the magic tricks we don't believe in that we get hung up on.

I have lots of love in my life, from my mom, to my wife, to my kids. We're all very happy.
Just the same, I'd love to do a study.

and of course you're going to say that if you feel your life philosophy is under attack. That's why I'm not looking for testimonials in this thread.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:07 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,506,441 times
But you gave a testimonial, when you said:
Quote:
what I've found in my own personal experience, that the majority of American atheists grew up in unloving homes
So naturally people will respond telling you why your own personal experience, (the one that attacks our life philosophy) is baseless.

There are lots of studies on how atheist differ from theist, but I don't think any of them support your hypothesis.

But hey, go ahead and do your study. I'd like to see the results.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
But you gave a testimonial, when you said:

So naturally people will respond telling you why your own personal experience, (the one that attacks our life philosophy) is baseless.

There are lots of studies on how atheist differ from theist, but I don't think any of them support your hypothesis.

But hey, go ahead and do your study. I'd like to see the results.
oh, people can give all the testimonials they want. I'm just not going to use them as evidence.

and I think it's great that none of the studies support my hypothesis. It means I could def use it as my doctoral dissertation, if I decide to go for a PhD.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:57 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
I've always wanted to test out what I've found in my own personal experience, that the majority of American atheists grew up in unloving homes. When you've never felt loved or taken care of in a caretaking fashion by a human, it's hard to believe there's some supernatural being in the sky that loves and cares about you. Just a thought, not trying to offend anyone.
Well, I suspect I would be someone in your margin of error in the study. I grew up in a very loving home and remain close to my mother and father and siblings to this day. Personally, I think the origins of dis-belief tend to be more dependent on how religious the family one is growing up in is as opposed to how loving or un-loving they are.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:03 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,522,538 times
... and an overall review, at least occasionally, of what such love constiutes in a rapidly changing world.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:28 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,701,031 times
Honestly, no.

I'm glad to know that I'm rational enough to accept I'm just another lifeform on this planet and that I can make the most of my time here. When I'm gone, I'll be remembered by my kids and grandkids and then I'm just a name on the family tree and some person in old family pictures. And I can accept that.

Why waste your life on a supposition that may not be true? Live in the here and now and be happy you were given a life to enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatetruth View Post
For those who don't know by now, I started doubting all of this nonesense a few months ago and now, i'm happy (sort of) to be an Atheist.

I am feeling a bit strange though and i'd like to hear your views on this and to see if anyone feels the same way i do!

See, i now do not believe in a heaven and hell and so all i do in life is for this life and this life alone....I try to enjoy my life to the fullest; i try to be good to others and love my family. i try to learn as much as possible and see as much of the world as i can in the time that i have on this earth.

however, i do feel a bit sad! Sad because i'm disappointed to finally understand that THIS IS IT! before i became an atheist, i believed in a afterlife (or at least entertained the idea) but now, it's clear as day to me that all that is pure BS. that makes me sad and a bit disappointed. To suddenly realize that there is NO grand 'purpose' in life, other than reproducing, raising offsprings, and if lucky, enjoying life, is somewhat sad. Don't get me wrong...i love my life and i'm amazed everyday by life itself and the nature that surrounds me...but i do kinda wish there was something else! (but there clearly isn't!)

anyone else feel what i feel?

Old 05-13-2009, 05:29 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,701,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post

Personally, I'm an Taoist.
Well I'm here to vote no on that. My parents and I have always been close.

I'm a happy Atheist. The gods and goddesses played no role in my relationship with my very real human family members

Old 05-13-2009, 07:50 AM

53 posts, read 70,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Well, I suspect I would be someone in your margin of error in the study. I grew up in a very loving home and remain close to my mother and father and siblings to this day. Personally, I think the origins of dis-belief tend to be more dependent on how religious the family one is growing up in is as opposed to how loving or un-loving they are.
Hmm - not sure on this - I grew up in a religious household, we went to church every Sunday without fail (even on holiday) and Holy Days such as All Saints and Ash Wednesday etc too (virtually moved in Holy Week!)
I have 2 sisters and a brother, and all of us are atheists now - even my dad now has more of a Buddhist mindset since my mum died, so I don't know why we all changed our minds - it just made no sense to any of us anymore. (My mum was still religious up to the end)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality