Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 12:11 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,339,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Wow you read a lot into things. You must suck as a therapist.

No wonder you believe most atheist come from bad childhoods - it takes no evidence at all for you to jump right to that conclusion. Based on a simple showing of cited studies about disfunctional therapist, you draw the conclusion that I had an unhappy childhood? HAHA you are joke.

I never said a harsh word about therapist. I just pointed out there is support for the theory that they come from disfunctional childhoods. You had the same theory about atheist. Certainly there's more support for my theory than there is for yours, but neither is more harsh than the other. But it does beg the question; why are you so upset when it's pointed out that many people get into therapy because of disfunctional childhoods, yet you can't understand why atheist wouldn't like the same accusation. Again, your lack of empathy here tells me you suck as a therapist.
You are clearly trying to make me feel bad so that I would get all angry and lash out so you could say you were saying the same thing I was saying so I had no right to get defensive, which is exactly what you've done in this post. What makes what you did different than what I did, even though the information was basically the same (sad childhoods), is that you were trying to be manipulative and malicious and I wasn't.

and you spelled dysfunctional wrong.

you know, all your anger just keeps reinforcing my beliefs.

ANGRY atheist is ANGRY. lol.

http://importreason.files.wordpress.com/2006/12/angry1.png (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
HAHA you don't have any idea how stupid you sound. Here's a clue for you Sigmund, there is no "purpose of being an atheist." Atheism is a conclusion, not a drive. It's the end, not the means.

It's clear you have lots of stereotypes about atheist, and that you invented your little "experience with atheist" as a vehicle to tell us about them.

I think you are lying, that you haven't met a lot of atheist from broken homes, and that your purpose here is to troll by posting passive aggressive attacks about the "cause" of atheism - trying to "take us down a notch."

You've revealed yourself as a thinly disguised troll.
Feel free to search my other posts to see if what I've said here corroborates with my other posts, unless you're so paranoid you think I completely concocted this whole persona JUST so I could post in this thread. lol. wow. angry AND paranoid. what a combo.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:48 AM

I just want to say one more time, I REALLY don't have anything against atheists, though your friend Boxcar isn't really doing much to thwart the stereotype and I have to say that if he's the norm, it's understandable why atheists are stereotyped as angry. Come on, for people who side with logic above all else, you HAVE to see that.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:07 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,514,638 times
I don't care about your beliefs. You're a troll who resorts to eight-grade level arguments of finding typos and spelling errors. You're not in the least bit insightful. You read waaaay to much into everything, which is why you must suck as a therapist. You have this big paranoid plan of how I'm trying to get you mad just to make you reply. It's just stupid.

You would do well to listen more and speak less in this forum. You are making yourself look like an idiot.

That's the last thing I'm going to say to you. You can have the last word, which I KNOW you are dying to do. I can see you sitting there, teeth clinched, fist in a ball, hoping to find a typo to point out, and just dying to tell us all how you were so right about atheist. So get at it, here's your chance to have the last word and get it all off your chest.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:19 AM

227 posts, read 536,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Feel free to search my other posts to see if what I've said here corroborates with my other posts, unless you're so paranoid you think I completely concocted this whole persona JUST so I could post in this thread. lol. wow. angry AND paranoid. what a combo.
Well this is my first read and post to a subject here and quite an interesting discussion. I believe you have completely confounded and stumped this pseudo-intellect of a law clerk from Gilligan's Island. Good job LOL

Old 05-15-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
Violett I think you really need to stop being blunt and address the main complaints. Here are mine:

1. How does one know from experience that most atheists in America grew up in unloved homes? You can meet a thousand atheists and it would still not make up 0.001% of estimated atheists in America.

2. People suffering from neglect crave attention. It makes more sense that these people will believe in a deity that loves you unconditionally but who happens to be invisible and not the other way around.

3. Have you asked all those atheists you know why they became atheists? This week alone there have been half a dozen threads or so on why people are atheists or agnostics with posters from all walks of life giving their reasons. Look at the number of people who give "There's no evidence" as their reason, compare it to the number of people who say "My parents never loved me therefore there is no god" and see which one wins out. Seems to me that trying to show a correlation wont prove causation unless the reasons all of them give has to do with their unloving upbringing.
1. I do not know. That's why I said that I would like to do a study.

2. NO. To make a long explanation short(er), imaginary friends are no substitute for parents. Does an imaginary friend help you to make sense of others, become socialized, help you with your homework, kiss you when you go to bed at night, teach you right from wrong, validate your every day experience and in general help you decipher life? If a five year old has never had anyone demonstrate these things, they can't just make them up on their own, they lack the knowledge, real-world experience and adult executive brain function. In short, they don't know how to fill in the blanks, they don't have enough information or fully developed brain capacity to do so. Nor should they, they're children.

If making up God, or whomever, was all neglected kids needed to do to get by, there would never be any trauma as a result of abusive or neglectful parenting, because the child would have the imaginary thing to rely on emotionally and wouldn't need the love of real parents. Does that make sense?

Let me put it a different way, what's more fulfilling? a real relationship with real friends or an imaginary friend you make up in your head?

3. What I said earlier in this thread, and what I'll say again, is that I wouldn't use this messageboard or any other to qualify why atheists choose atheism. If I were to do a study, I would want to sit down and talk with people face-to-face. Not to mention doing a study on anything using a messageboard as the only source of info would not be considered legitimate in academic communities.

and I'm not saying this in a mean or judgmental way, but you guys seem really defensive on here, and maybe you have a right to be, I don't know, but you can imagine how it would be hard to take what one says at face value when it seems they're fighting tooth and nail to defend their beliefs. I, and this is just the way I see it, would be more likely to believe someone if they said, yeah, this is what I believe, but I can see how people could find, this, this and this wrong with it. But when people say, OMG, this is 100% perfect and flawless, I either think they're not seeing the whole picture or they're covering up for something. I mean, nothing is perfect, you know?

Old 05-15-2009, 01:45 AM

Congratulations! You made it through an ENTIRE post without one typo. Fess up, you ran it through spellcheck before you posted, didn't you?

Quote:
You read waaaay to much into everything, which is why you must suck as a therapist. You have this big paranoid plan of how I'm trying to get you mad just to make you reply. It's just stupid.
ok, let's break this down shall we?

you said you're not trying to get me mad, right? and that you didn't purposely use the argument I did as to why people become atheists? (sad childhoods) that's what you're saying here, right? then why did you say:

Quote:
why are you so upset when it's pointed out that many people get into therapy because of disfunctional childhoods, yet you can't understand why atheist wouldn't like the same accusation. Again, your lack of empathy here tells me you suck as a therapist.
the thing is though, I didn't get mad. lol. I poked holes in your argument and ruined your little plan and now you just look like an idiot. however, it seems to me that you did purposely and maliciously try to turn my argument around to elicit a response from me. and just to make sure you made me angry you said:

Quote:
You must suck as a therapist.
HAHA you are joke.
your lack of empathy here tells me you suck as a therapist.
Why would you say these things unless you were trying to get me mad? To bad you failed miserably and only made your self look like an rageful moron.

Quote:
That's the last thing I'm going to say to you. You can have the last word, which I KNOW you are dying to do. I can see you sitting there, teeth clinched, fist in a ball, hoping to find a typo to point out, and just dying to tell us all how you were so right about atheist. So get at it, here's your chance to have the last word and get it all off your chest.
Nah, I'm not mad. Honestly, debating with you is TOO easy, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. The calmer I am, the angrier you get and the less sense you make. And not being logical = Bad atheist! Bad! lol.

Last edited by Violett; 05-15-2009 at 02:08 AM..

Old 05-15-2009, 02:21 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,058,235 times
Quote:
ok, let's break this down shall we?

Why would you say these things unless you were trying to get me mad? To bad you failed miserably and only made your self look like an rageful moron.
Seems the only moron on this thread is you.
Quote:
Nah, I'm not mad. Honestly, debating with you is TOO easy, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. The calmer I am, the angrier you get and the less sense you make. And not being logical = Bad atheist! Bad! lol.
A "therapist" that uses lol? Mmmm...

Pretty much reading your posts you use the strawman tactic.

Conclusion?

Immature or incapable of proper debate discussion.

I concur with Boxcar, you must suck in RL.

Oh and as for spelling (back up a few posts), citation not sitation citing not siting.. just saying

Last edited by justme58; 05-15-2009 at 02:32 AM..

Old 05-15-2009, 02:26 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,945,194 times
Quote:
You are clearly trying to make me feel bad so that I would get all angry and lash out so you could say you were saying the same thing I was saying so I had no right to get defensive, which is exactly what you've done in this post. What makes what you did different than what I did, even though the information was basically the same (sad childhoods), is that you were trying to be manipulative and malicious and I wasn't.

and you spelled dysfunctional wrong.

you know, all your anger just keeps reinforcing my beliefs.

ANGRY atheist is ANGRY. lol.

Quote:
Quote:
I just want to say one more time, I REALLY don't have anything against atheists, though your friend Boxcar isn't really doing much to thwart the stereotype and I have to say that if he's the norm, it's understandable why atheists are stereotyped as angry. Come on, for people who side with logic above all else, you HAVE to see that.
Quote:
and I'm not saying this in a mean or judgmental way, but you guys seem really defensive on here, and maybe you have a right to be, I don't know, but you can imagine how it would be hard to take what one says at face value when it seems they're fighting tooth and nail to defend their beliefs. I, and this is just the way I see it, would be more likely to believe someone if they said, yeah, this is what I believe, but I can see how people could find, this, this and this wrong with it. But when people say, OMG, this is 100% perfect and flawless, I either think they're not seeing the whole picture or they're covering up for something. I mean, nothing is perfect, you know?
Violett of course we are going to be defensive when you claim that most of us came from unloving homes.

Baiting, Hypocrisy, Acting thick, Attempts at psychoanalyzing over the Internet,Progressively getting more insulting, the bobblehead effect and using a variation of the
Quote:
"isn't really doing much to thwart the stereotype and I have to say that if [he/she] is the norm, it's understandable why [atheists/gays/liberal/blacks] are stereotyped as [angry/diseased/hippies/stupid]"
dribble found in every single forum populated by trolls on the internet makes me hesitant to continue posting in this thread.

Most of us are rightfully getting the idea that this is trolling, no matter how many "I'm not trying to put atheists down" disclaimers you put before your statements.

Quote:
2. NO. To make a long explanation short(er), imaginary friends are no substitute for parents. Does an imaginary friend help you to make sense of others, become socialized, help you with your homework, kiss you when you go to bed at night, teach you right from wrong, validate your every day experience and in general help you decipher life? If a five year old has never had anyone demonstrate these things, they can't just make them up on their own, they lack the knowledge, real-world experience and adult executive brain function. In short, they don't know how to fill in the blanks, they don't have enough information or fully developed brain capacity to do so. Nor should they, they're children.

If making up God, or whomever, was all neglected kids needed to do to get by, there would never be any trauma as a result of abusive or neglectful parenting, because the child would have the imaginary thing to rely on emotionally and wouldn't need the love of real parents. Does that make sense?

Let me put it a different way, what's more fulfilling? a real relationship with real friends or an imaginary friend you make up in your head?
I'm not saying they will make them up on their own. I'm saying that it makes them more susceptible to believing in one of the myriads of gods already there and I don't think I need to look very far to find people who would put their god(s) before their family. To them, feeling that they are doing god's work is infinitely more "fulfilling" than their family and friends will ever be.

Heck, there shouldn't be any argument against this. It's a fact that many people have "found" god(s) after a series of traumatic experiences.

Oh but now I'm crious to know about how atheism is more fulfiling. I mean this whole thread is all about atheists being disapointed with their lack of belief.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
Seems the only moron on this thread is you.

A "therapist" that uses lol? Mmmm...
uh, yeah. therapists are real human beings, not robots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
Pretty much reading your posts you use the strawman tactic.

Conclusion?

Immature or incapable of proper debate discussion.

I concur with Boxcar, you must suck in RL.
Someone who's only argument is that I must suck in real life is accusing ME of using the strawman tactic? LOL.

If you have any reading comprehension whatsoever, you would see that the ONLY debate him and I were having was who sucked more, which he started by insulting me and my profession.

But if you think I'M the one who's "immature or incapable of proper debate" (whatever that means), when he attacked me instead of arguing ideas, then be my guest. That conclusion shows so little reasoning that it's truly laughable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality