Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 06:03 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,719,430 times

Advertisements

Many Christians throughout the ages have died for their faith. Would you be willing to die for your beliefs, whether atheist, buddhist or whatever worldview you hold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 06:26 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
There's something that needs to be considered when you ask this question. It's true that countless religious people have died because of what they believed but they also were certain that the end of their life on earth was not the end of their existence so that's very different from the perspective of an atheist. For myself I believe that when I die I'm not going anywhere and that my consciousness will cease to exist. In order to answer the question correctly I would need to have some additional information. If you're asking me if I would publicly renounce my atheism in order to have my life spared the answer is yes because it would save my life and I could care less what those who were going to kill me would think about it. Because I believe that this life is all that there is why would I throw it away?

Old 07-10-2009, 06:36 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times
To put it mildly... Hell, no.

If they were stacking the firewood to burn me alive unless I repented and said I were a Christian... Guess what? I have no qualms whatsoever about lying to them and saying I was a "Christian." It doesn't mean anything except that I get to live a little longer. I wouldn't think twice about doing it and I would be more than happy to work it to my advantage. I'd happily proclaim that I was a Muslim, Jew, Christian, Scientologist, Satanist or even a Cannibal to get out of death.

I think to do anything else is rather stupid, in my opinion. I don't find the idea of dying over whether or not a particular man in the sky exists or not and how one worships that idea to be a very noble thing to die for. Very noble to lie for - yes. To die for it - absolutely not. It's just a waste of life.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:38 PM

783 posts, read 1,326,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Would you be willing to die for your beliefs,... ?
Yes.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:00 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Would you die for your beliefs?

YES!

Old 07-10-2009, 08:14 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,153 times
If you're not willing to die for your beliefs, it's not a belief. It's a hobby.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:33 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
No, I'd only sacrifice my life for someone I love...Like my kids. I'm certainly not going to die for something I'm not sure is real.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:53 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,303,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Many Christians throughout the ages have died for their faith. Would you be willing to die for your beliefs, whether atheist, buddhist or whatever worldview you hold?
Honestly I don't think about having to die for what I believe. But Jesus died for me, so if I had to, then yes, I would say that I would die for Him. I'm not g i jane, so I want run to die. Let's be honest, I'm human. But if God said it, then I would, why, because in the end, I would be with Him.

If I died for Christ, that would be dieing for a person, not a belief. I'm not going to die for a belief, but would be willing for a person, Christ. .

Old 07-10-2009, 09:35 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,502 times
Points to GCSTROOP for being honest. I'm there with ya! I agree with Sanspeur...I'd die for my kids or husband. No "belief" is worth dying for.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:35 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,719,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post

If I died for Christ, that would be dieing for a person, not a belief. I'm not going to die for a belief, but would be willing for a person, Christ. .
You have a belief in Christ. You believe He is the Son of God. You would die for that belief, the belief that Jesus is the Christ and you would not renounce him.

Montana and GCS, if you wouldn't die for the belief you hold in atheism, then why do you hold to the belief? Why would you renounce something you're basing your life on and pretend to believe in Allah or Jesus? Is that saying there are some doubts in your atheism?

I'm actually posing a serious question and not trying to create any problems. I'm genuinely interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality