Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 03:41 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,102,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Scripture cannot be considered self-supporting evidence. .
Anyone who teaches about God and can not support their teachings with the Bible, are just inventing ideas and dressing them up to look smart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I am well aware of the plurality attributed to your Christ.
But he is not A god, now is he.

"a" god?

As if there were more you mean?
Is that what you ask?

Jesus is God,
there is only One God.
There is no need to slap an "a" in front of the word "god" to talk about Christ.

The text says that that Jesus was addressed as "My Lord and my God"
This is the way I address Jesus too, the same way all Christians should and do.

However there are some people who teach that Jesus was not God Almighty.
They hold to a view like the JWs that under the "Almighty God" there are lots of little gods(small g) running around.

I think that stuff is a silly idea.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:13 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,411,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
"a" god?

As if there were more you mean?
Is that what you ask?

Jesus is God,
there is only One God.
There is no need to slap an "a" in front of the word "god" to talk about Christ.

The text says that that Jesus was addressed as "My Lord and my God"
This is the way I address Jesus too, the same way all Christians should and do.

However there are some people who teach that Jesus was not God Almighty.
They hold to a view like the JWs that under the "Almighty God" there are lots of little gods(small g) running around.

I think that stuff is a silly idea.
There is a rather complete history of well over a thousand deities world wide, some archeological evidences measured in the tens of thousands of years.

Indeed, the oldest continuious religion belongs to the Australian Aboriginal people, who religion is conservatively etimated to be at least 65,000 years old. Your god is conspicuiously absent from their beliefs.

There is no evidence whatsoever concerning your god prior to app. 3,000 years ago. None.

Your scripture cannot be held aloft as self-supporting evidence. Too many myths are disproven by scienfitic principles and evidence (and logic), too many contradictions appear as well.

In the complete and utter lack of any proof whatsoever, the idea that your god is "the only one who created everything" is catagorically incorrect.

Now unless Jesus was Jehovah incarnate, (ignoring the lack of proof for a historical Jesus for the moment) Jesus is not god and you worship two gods. This is a pantheon when the varied Saints are thrown in the mix.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:32 AM

657 posts, read 1,632,332 times
Quote:
There is a rather complete history of well over a thousand deities world wide, some archeological evidences measured in the tens of thousands of years.

Indeed, the oldest continuious religion belongs to the Australian Aboriginal people, who religion is conservatively etimated to be at least 65,000 years old. Your god is conspicuiously absent from their beliefs.

There is no evidence whatsoever concerning your god prior to app. 3,000 years ago. None.

Your scripture cannot be held aloft as self-supporting evidence. Too many myths are disproven by scienfitic principles and evidence (and logic), too many contradictions appear as well.

In the complete and utter lack of any proof whatsoever, the idea that your god is "the only one who created everything" is catagorically incorrect.

Now unless Jesus was Jehovah incarnate, (ignoring the lack of proof for a historical Jesus for the moment) Jesus is not god and you worship two gods. This is a pantheon when the varied Saints are thrown in the mix.
Son, where do you get your facts from? You better start doing proper research.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Now unless Jesus was Jehovah incarnate,.
CORRECT!
The teaching of the Christian church is that Jesus Christ is Jehovah God incarnate!

Old 07-26-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
So you disagree with Dcisive then?

Because he says "no church' believes as he does,
and now you say the Catholic church teaches what he believes....

whats the answer?
I was mostly referring to his comments about the philosophy on hell and how it's taught. Most churches teach it as this fiery place upon which you go after death and burn eternally in the lake of fire and brimstone and that Heaven is this place you go to meet your maker when you die. Most teachers and followers of this thought process don't understand the concept as heaven or hell is not a physical place. It is referring to a state of mind, the heaven or hell within. You do not have to wait until you die to be with Allah (God). When you are ready to meet the creator, you meet him within yourself.

As far as hell, the Devil represents your lower self because there is a higher and lower self. The lower self is the weaker part, that which is finite and not everlasting. It is your carnal self, the part that gives into the desires and temptations of the flesh. The higher self is human spirit clothed with soul, made in the form of Allah. The lower self is an illusion and will pass away, the higher self is Allah in man, and will not pass away. The higher self is the embodiment of truth, the lower self is truth reversed and so is falsehood manifest. So when the Bible/Koran etc. talk about the devil, it is referring to the devil within, or the lower self. The only devil from which men must be redeemed is self, the lower self. If man would find his devil he must look within, his name is self. The lower self breeds hatred, slander, lewdness, murders, theft, and everything that harms, the higher self is mother of the virtues and the harmonies of life. If man would find his savior he must look within and when the demon self has been dethroned the savior, Love, will be exulted to the throne of power.

This is just one of the many distortions that most people (mainly Christians) have of the Bible (Koran/Torah etc.).

Old 07-26-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
Son, where do you get your facts from? You better start doing proper research.
Everything I stated are facts, widely accepted among the relevant scientific communities.

Just because they run counter to your personal beliefs does not invalidate the information I supplied above.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
CORRECT!
The teaching of the Christian church is that Jesus Christ is Jehovah God incarnate!
Not the teachings of the Catholic Church.

According to what I was tought when I was a Roman Catholic, Jesus was NOT God, and to even say this was pure blasphemy.

While we could pray to Jehovah THROUGH Christ, we didn't "pray" to just Christ exclusivley.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Everything I stated are facts, widely accepted among the relevant scientific communities...
That must be code word for Eurocentric.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Not the teachings of the Catholic Church.

Yes it is...
Remember Im always right about this stuff...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality